Page 1 of 1

Question re: QfG4

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:29 am
by Rath Darkblade
I'm replaying the QfG series again, thanks to Collector's installers, and having a great time. Thanks, Collector! :)

Unfortunately, I've hit a snag. I know that I have to fight one of the wraiths to get one of the Dark One rituals, but I'm not sure which. So, I decided to start with the wraith closest to town (just southeast of the cemetery). I cast Aura and Reversal on myself, then walked into the wraith screen, ready for a fight.
The wraith, however, did not materialise as usual. I thought, "This is odd..." and clicked on the wraith's stone mound, which put me into the fight screen. I fought and defeated the wraith, the screen came back to Mordavia - and then the game wouldn't proceed. :( I looked at the game menu (i.e. where you can save, load, change difficulty etc.), and the speed and difficulty were locked - as they usually are when an animation is in progress - but I could not see any animation. It seemed that my game was, basically, frozen. Fortunately, I saved my game right before the battle, so I can walk away from it if need be. :)

Did this happen to anyone else? Any ideas what's going on?

Re: Question re: QfG4

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:23 pm
by Collector
You didn't unzip "Wraith_Fight_(53).zip", did you? It is a flawed part of the NRS patch. It can cause the game to hang with the wraith battle, depending possibly on class. This will make the health drain and fight and too fast, but that can be overcome by lowering the cycles if you have problems.

Re: Question re: QfG4

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:04 pm
by Rath Darkblade
Uhm... I don't even know what "Wraith_Fight_(53).zip" is. *shrugs* I simply ran your QfG Collection installer (i.e. this one), and picked all the default settings. :)

So... I'm not sure what to do. Any ideas? :)

Re: Question re: QfG4

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:58 am
by Collector
Check to make sure that there is not a 53.SCR or 53.HEP in the game folder or any subfolder.

Re: Question re: QfG4

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:34 am
by Rath Darkblade
Hmm... that's odd. Both of these files (53.scr and 53.hep) exist in the "Quest for Glory 4\PATCHES" subfolder - but they're the only files that spell "hep" and "scr" in small letters, the other *.scr and *.hep files spell it in ALL-CAPS (i.e. *.SCR and *.HEP). Any idea what it means? What are these files? :|

By the way, an update... I started the game again, this time as a paladin, and the wraith encounters work fine for the paladin. A red spark starts flashing around the wraith mound when I enter, and the wraiths appear just fine. It didn't work for the thief, though. I'm not sure if this issue happens only when you're a thief, or if it happens only when you're not a paladin - I'll try playing a wizard next and see. :)

Thanks for your help!

Re: Question re: QfG4

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:37 pm
by Collector
Those are the patch files, some of which are from the NRS patch. It is those two that cause the problem.

Re: Question re: QfG4

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:35 pm
by Rath Darkblade
Hmm, ok... should I delete them, then? Sorry if that sounds obtuse, I just don't know what to do. :|

Re: Question re: QfG4

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:44 pm
by Collector
Yes

Re: Question re: QfG4

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:46 am
by Rath Darkblade
Thanks! :D I just did, and my thief encounters the wraith as per normal. Cheers! :)