Page 1 of 1

Running QfG5 on Windows 10

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:50 am
by Rath Darkblade
So ... since I upgraded to windows 10, QfG5 decided not to work any more. :( When I try running it, Windows tells me the following:
So Windows needs to install something called "Direct Play".
So Windows needs to install something called "Direct Play".
error1.png (9.67 KiB) Viewed 8133 times
If I try to install it, Windows never manages to actually find the files to install the damn thing. But if I cancel, Windows gives me this:
Damn it! :-(
Damn it! :-(
error2.png (6.31 KiB) Viewed 8133 times
And things go crash-bang-back-to-desktop.

Does anyone know what's going on? Can this be fixed?

Thanks for your help! :)

Re: Running QfG5 on Windows 10

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:36 am
by goatmeal

Re: Running QfG5 on Windows 10

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:30 pm
by notbobsmith
This is a little odd since I don't have any trouble running QFG5. Are you using the GOG version or is this from the original CDs?

Re: Running QfG5 on Windows 10

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:01 pm
by Tawmis
notbobsmith wrote: ↑Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:30 pm This is a little odd since I don't have any trouble running QFG5. Are you using the GOG version or is this from the original CDs?
^ This.

Re: Running QfG5 on Windows 10

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:17 pm
by Collector
It will not launch if installed with the original installer, but no problem with the SHP installer or GOG's.

Re: Running QfG5 on Windows 10

Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 5:51 am
by Rath Darkblade
Yay! :D Thank you, goatmeal - all fixed. :)

I was using the original CDs, but the SHP installer. It just turned out that I forgot about Compatibility Mode. Once I tried running it in "Windows XP SP2 Compatibility", it ran without any problems. Thank you. :)

Re: Running QfG5 on Windows 10

Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 9:24 am
by goatmeal
Rath Darkblade wrote: ↑Mon May 01, 2023 5:51 am Yay! :D Thank you, goatmeal - all fixed. :)

I was using the original CDs, but the SHP installer. It just turned out that I forgot about Compatibility Mode. Once I tried running it in "Windows XP SP2 Compatibility", it ran without any problems. Thank you. :)
You're most welcome. And I'm keeping a catalogue of issues you're having to I can anticipate them when I upgrade in a week or two myself... 8-)