Your favorite Phantasmagoria and why?

Feeling like you're being haunted? Well, if you look in here, you may find (or at least post for some help!) the answers you're looking for - for the Phantasmagoria games!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Your favorite Phantasmagoria and why?

Post by Tawmis »

So lets hear it. This is an easy one for me - but I will wait till we get some replies!
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Re: Your favorite Phantasmagoria and why?

Post by AndreaDraco »

This time it's really difficult, since neither of them is one my favorite games, but I guess I'm gonna say A Puzzle of Flesh: tacky and corny, but (hellishly) entertaining and, furthermore, way sleazier (and more twisted) than the first one!

Phanta1 has its great moments, scary (the murders of Carno's previous wives; the finale; the first time in the greehouse) and tender ones (mainly in the beginning and the very end: ah, that little snowman!), but - overall - it felt to me a bit too stereotypical and, whilst surely more classy and elegant in its scares than Phanta2, a bit too dated for my tastes.

And it is really too easy to play through, never challenging nor thought-provoking. Phanta2 shared these same problems, and has a really annoying protagonist, but I liked its perverted mood. A guilty pleasure: not a success as a game, but a good B-movie to watch/play in an empty afternoon or two.

By the way, I guess I'm more a fan of the light-hearted Roberta Williams, than I'm am of her "darker" side.

For those interested, I also wrote a review of Phanta2 for AdventureGamers. Here:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,905
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

I'm a bigger fan of "Puzzle of Flesh" myself. Both games resorted heavily on just being in the right places to get the story progressing, but with PoF, there was a lot less green-screening and a bigger sense of being a character in a movie. Not to mention all the pointless jump scenes I got every five minutes kept me laughing. :)
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

Have both, but I've only played the first one, and that was about 10 years ago at that. It's probably because I wasn't old enough to really respect the games (even though it was about the same time as I played The Beast Within, which I loved even then), but I just didn't enjoy it that much. To me, Phantasmagoria should have been a movie. I still feel this was even today when I get on YouTube and watch the runthrough of it (by ADVRipper?).

Who knows. Maybe one day I'll give it another chance.
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
Fender_178
Sierra Veteran

Post by Fender_178 »

Im going to say the first one because it was everything that was typical of a Roberta Williams game. Near the End of chapter 7 scared me the most with that monster that took over Don. The 2nd one had more blood and gore than the first one but 2nd one really didnt appeal to me. I totally agree that PH1 should have been a movie it would have been a perfect fit for a movie.
FREEZE SCUM!!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I am going with Phantasmagoria 1. Now the reason is - my wife, and my then best friend and his wife - all of us played the first one together. I had introduced them to Sierra games (imagine that - their lives were pointless until this point) - and he had just bought a new PC and wanted to push it - so he didn't want to play something like PQ, SQ, LSL, etc - he wanted something to show off the graphics. So we threw in Phantasmagoria. So we played it and loved it! It was such a great memory. When we went and got Phantasmagoria II - it was just... eh... too over the top. Like the random sex scene. A lot more bloody. In the first one, it was creepy and scarey. The second one was like every other movie sequel - went over the top in every aspect to out do the original - and in the end failed. But we played it - till you get the character to hell or whatever - and then BLAM! - crashes to dos with an error. And back then there was no real internet. You would have to dial into the Sierra BBS forums (which was a long distance call). Needless to say we never found the fix back then and thus never finished the second one.
HarroSIN
Sierra Enthusiast

Post by HarroSIN »

I love them both, really, but there's pros and cons. The first one had an excellent interface and navigation system, similar to every other Sierra title, which made it fit pretty well. Compared to A Puzzle of Flesh, though, the movie quality was rather poor in some areas, and so was the sound. The second game had excellent film quality and character animation, leaps and bounds over Phantasmagoria 1 which was achieved in only a year's time; although, most people complain about the 'style of play,' as P2 was more of an interactive film rather than adventure game than the previous entry.

Technical details aside, both plots are great, but I would have to give the upper-hand to A Puzzle of Flesh. This is due to the fact that the original has a kind-of predictable ending, as opposed to P2 with the twist ending... ... that Curtis is mearly a copy of his actual-self who is still suspended in the Other World.

They also both have pretty cool vocal themes: Consumite Furore as P1's opening with Take A Stand as the closing piece, and Rage! as P2's ending theme.
Visit my website for the Phantasmagoria 2 XP Installer (Phan2XP):
http://leonhart.us/
The_Roger_Wilco
Noob

Post by The_Roger_Wilco »

My Favorite of the Series has to be Phantasmagoria 1
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

The_Roger_Wilco wrote:My Favorite of the Series has to be Phantasmagoria 1
So lets hear it! What was it about Phantasmagoria 1 that snared you? :)
Jules
Delta Babe

Post by Jules »

I agree with Tawm. The first one had a bit more 'umph' to it mostly because it was a Roberta Williams game.

The second lacked that Roberta 'essence' and it could've done without the random sex/gore scenes. The other thing was the ending. It just got weirder and weirder.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Phantas 1. It scared the crap out of me so badly that I didn't dare play it. And I'm amazed at the large amount of available dead ends in Ch 7. By comparison, Phantas 2 is very bare. I also prefer 1's acting, it's build-up, it's story-line... And it gave me a nice argument why I hate foie gras.
Phantas 2, on the other hand, is primarily a game I consider ridiculous. But entertaining nonetheless.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote:Phantas 1. It scared the crap out of me so badly that I didn't dare play it. And I'm amazed at the large amount of available dead ends in Ch 7. By comparison, Phantas 2 is very bare. I also prefer 1's acting, it's build-up, it's story-line... And it gave me a nice argument why I hate foie gras.
Phantas 2, on the other hand, is primarily a game I consider ridiculous. But entertaining nonetheless.

I knew I liked ya for a reason BBP! :D Couldn't agree more!

On all accounts!
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

I've never played Phatasmagoria. Perhaps it will eventually be available from one of the sites where you can purchase online and download it. I wouldn't mind playing it at some point, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on eBay.
"I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept."
--The Marquis de Carabas in Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Maiandra wrote:I've never played Phatasmagoria. Perhaps it will eventually be available from one of the sites where you can purchase online and download it. I wouldn't mind playing it at some point, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on eBay.
Ah my dear! I do believe you would love the first one! (The second one I strongly disliked...)
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Return to “The Phantasmagoria Games”