The Silver Lining intro

Is the game being a ROYAL pain? Need a hint? Got a problem? This is the place to discuss King's Quest!
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Re: The Silver Lining intro

Post by DeadPoolX »

Given that I don't want to register for yet another website/board/service and the poor reviews given by those here, I think I'll pass on downloading the game right now.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
QuestCollector
Sierra Veteran

Post by QuestCollector »

Just played through episode 1.

The game looked amazing for a fan game, but I felt this episode was way to SHORT. I downloaded the game at 8:00 and finished about 9:15 and I really took my time. It felt more like a prologue than an actual episode. There wasn't much to do and very few screens. The only other thing that didn't feel *King's Quest* to me though was the music, just seemed like something was missing. Overall though it was a fantastic effort and I did love it!

By the way how many of you actually tried picking up that flower on the isle of the sacred mountain? I must have clicked the hand on it about six times! I was in pure adventure mode ready to pick up anything! I was dissapointed only getting three items.

Now how long will it be before we see episode II?
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

I did too QuestCollector :lol:

It's not that i didn't like episode 1, it's just that it was way too short. Hopefully the next episode will be longer and not take too long to arrive.
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

I agree that it was way too short, but I love the way that TSL is taking the KQ series. There was so much character development-type dialog in this short episode that I was amazed. And I love the voice acting.

I can't wait until the second episode and getting to go to chessboard land!!!!!
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

The TSL team was pretty much ready to bite the bullet on chapter 1's length months before we were finished. As Cez put it, it's a long-winded introduction to the next four chapters. I haven't played the following chapters yet, but from the looks of things, they'll be much longer.

Also, you'll get to hear me perform a musical number in chapter 2 (providing they don't cut it out.) :P
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

It crashes every time I try to start a game. I looked on their forum and saw that a lot of people were having trouble on Win7 64. Probably7 more of the fault of the engine itself than that of the game. I am able to watch the intro, but it isn't much more than the trailer.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Well, I can't play it. I'm allowed to see the introduction, maybe walk around a bit, look at something and then the game freezes and I'm forced to close it via the task manager. I don't suppose there's something to do short of install it on an XP machine (which I luckily have).

Unfortunately, it does not bode well for the game if Win7 64 can't run it. And that's a shame because the intro is great and the few lines I was able to hear when looking around - the door, the hall, the flowers, the Pegasus engraving - are wonderful, written in a style that is pure King Quest.
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Rudy
Village Elder

Post by Rudy »

The director made a statement as to why episode 1 is so short and easy. Looks very promising for episode 2, so my hopes are up for more actual gameplay.

http://www.postudios.com/blog/forum/ind ... pic=8733.0

For those who have Windows 7, there is a patch on their site too for Windows 7 users, not sure if it applies for both 32 and 64 bit. Minimum requirements for the game are very low (considering they started on the project 8 or so years ago):
- Windows XP, Vista or 7
- 1GHz Intel or AMD Processor
- 512 MB RAM (1GB recommended for Vista and 7)
- 100% DirectX compatible video card with 256 MB video RAM
- DirectX 9.0c+

Now, my card does not even fulfill the requirements (only 128MB RAM, I need a new PC...), but it still managed to run it smoothly at highest settings.
Sierra Chest creator, Sierra collector/curator.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

It's obviously not an outdated hardware issue for Andrea and me. Yes, I applied the patch (which did nothing more than reapply OpenAL) and it did not help, at all. Andrea, did you end up with an ATI card or nVIDIA?

AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

ATI Radeon HD 5870

The only advice I got for now is try to lower the graphic settings and to run the game in windowed mode. Now, I'll probably do it, but since my dear PC has no problem running Crysis (yes, I tried ;)), I'm a bit disappointed to have these kind of problems with The Silver Lining, which I know I'd enjoy way, way, way more than the aformentioned FPS.
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

AndreaDraco wrote:ATI Radeon HD 5870

The only advice I got for now is try to lower the graphic settings and to run the game in windowed mode. Now, I'll probably do it, but since my dear PC has no problem running Crysis (yes, I tried ;) ), I'm a bit disappointed to have these kind of problems with The Silver Lining, which I know I'd enjoy way, way, way more than the aformentioned FPS.
That's simply poor utilization of the engine and bad coding. Although my PC is older than yours (I got it in 2004), I had no program running Dragon Age and some newer games, like Batman: Arkham Asylum. Most games, despite my PC's age run very well.

Meanwhile... I have a lot of problems with somewhat older games, like Mass Effect, which should run perfectly since I exceed the recommended requirements. I suppose it doesn't help that ME is really buggy, too. For some reason I have random crashes to the desktop during dialogue. How weird is that? I could understand combat, but simply talking to people?

I got sick of that and said "the hell with it." I wanted to continue playing ME and finish it, but it's been nothing but an exercise in frustration. That's too bad, since I like the game itself. From what I've heard, ME2 runs better on PCs than ME1. Weird, but that's what a lot of people say.
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I don't ever remember registering and I had a download link to the game. I even had an account. Is it linked to the forums perhaps? I have an account there...

Never played it yet (downloaded though), but I was told that any lack of game elements in the first episode is due to it being an "introductory episode." I have yet to see if the story displeases me as the previous information I was privy to did, but we'll find out over the course the next year, I guess. Good on Pheonix for finally getting it out there.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

I have an ATI card, too. It is capable of much more demanding games than this. I have already tried turning off everything and running it in a window to no avail.

DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention that I also have an ATI card. The main reason I got one is because for a LONG time, updating drivers on an Nvidia card was an absolute nightmare.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

I've had more ATI cards than nVIDIA, in large part because of having to deal with other people's machines with nVIDIA and not wanting to have to go through the same thing on my own box. I've had gripes about ATI, but fewer issues.

Return to “The King's Quest Series”