TSL: Re-inventing the Wheel

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
YeOldeSierraFan
Sierra Enthusiast

TSL: Re-inventing the Wheel

Post by YeOldeSierraFan »

I posted this on the TSL forums...I figured I'd repost it here:

''From what I've seen and heard about what the next episodes of TSL have in store (including quotes from Cesar and the rest of the team, about taking TSL in the ''teen fantasy'' direction and exploring the traumas left on Alexander and Rosella, making the characters more like ''real life'') the team's goal is to put a new spin on the KQ series, giving it a darker, more mature quality to appeal to older audiences.

But does the KQ series really NEED reinventing (aside from the addition of updated graphics, sound, etc.)? After all, MOE was an attempt to revitalize the series as well, and a lot of KQ fans didn't like it. This wasn't just because of the action-adventure element, but because of how much of a departure from the typically light-hearted tone of the previous games it was.

The first seven KQ games were certainly dark at times, but never as dark as they were in MOE. They were also family-oriented games, so that everyone of all ages could enjoy them. However, members of the TSL team argue that "the story should mature along with the audience", and so have written a story targeted towards older audiences. However, there are many here who entered King's Quest at a young age--Some even younger than the teenage years--And that was always the intent of King's Quest, to be a family series which people ages 5 to 95 could enjoy.

Wouldn't it be a much safer course of action to follow in the footsteps of the official games and appeal to a much broader range of gamers instead of risking putting off younger ones who might have otherwise become interested in the series as a whole (and even possible future sequels)?

The intended audience was always said to be ''the fans'', yet I've seen quite a few interviews where the team talks about updating the tone of the game and getting rid of some stuff (such as dead ends) to sate modern audiences. So it's also a question of who is the team attempting to please? You can't please everyone--That's what MoE tried to do and failed (Not enough adventure for adventure game fans; not enough action for action gamers; not enough RPG elements for RPGers--all because of attempt to try and please everyone).

If the project's intended audience is ''the fans''--Those who enjoyed the series, were dissapointed with Mask and wanted something ''closer to home'', than why any need for re-invention, or updating the tone of the game? If anything, the whole reason for this project's existence was the fans' desire for ''more of the same'', rather than a bold new re-invention--Something more traditional as a result of the shock of Mask of Eternity.

The point being: Re-invention is still re-invention. Roberta attempted to re-invent King's Quest by changing the game-play mechanics; TSL seems to be trying re-invent the wheel by changing the tone. Sure, there'll be some light spots as we've been told, but overall, as we've also been told the goal is to create a darker, more mature King's Quest--Both re-inventions of the wheel, albeit with different new designs in mind.

The question is: Why re-invent the wheel?''
LaughingMan008
Sierra Lover

Re: TSL: Re-inventing the Wheel

Post by LaughingMan008 »

All series need a beginning, a middle, and an end. Be they TV series, movies, books, or video games. I think thats why I love Quest for Glory the most...
Cause it ENDED. Very well I might add. Mask was a good ending too. (I know im in the minority in saying that)
It brought the plot full circle. How did Kings Quest start? A knight inheriting a kingdom. How did it end? A knight inheriting a kingdom. Thats why Ive been totally disinterested in The Silver Lining. Its an unnecesary sequel. Let it lay. If they firm up the voice acting and/or add in The Father from KQ2+, maybe ill change my mind. :)
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

The series always re-invented itself. If you go through the series, you'll find Roberta Williams had different goals for the story and tone of most of the games. Very notably in KQ7 (from KQ6 to a Disney musical? Okay!) and many people tend to forget the minor controversy behind KQ3 where fans were offended that they had to play as a new character ("but I want my Graham!") I don't really see the series as a wheel, but rather a long and winding road.
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

YeOldeSierraFan wrote:lots of stuff
I won't say anything other than "I agree".
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

Ken Williams just replied to this same question on the POS forums.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I read what Ken wrote... and it's true. It's whoever is designing it to do what they want - those that don't like it - well then don't watch/buy/download it.

That said - here's how I have always seen things... I thought Ken Williams (if he's the one responsible) did a great thing when he made Sierra... because he covered a lot of fields... to ensure that Sierra, as a company that generated games, covered a wide market.

King's Quest - To me this was always the game that you could play "as a family." King's Quest was the game that mixed in various fairy tales, and gave them a pleasant spin, that made gathering around and being able to play it with your kids - a game that brought the family together. It was always fairly light hearted, and always conveyed a positive message.

Leisure Suit Larry - When the kids went to bed, that's when Dad could load up Leisure Suit Larry! Leisure Suit Larry was - to me - targeted towards the adult humor. This one - naturally - wasn't safe for the kids!

Police Quest - This was for those that wanted a game centered in a more realistic world. This game was serious and seemed to target those seeking a more drama type game.

Space Quest - This was a game that centered on both science fiction and plenty of humor and puns! This was for just about anyone and everyone. It was a safe game through and through.

Quest for Glory - This obviously was aimed at all the RPG folks out there.

So it's a shame to think that they'd go dark with King's Quest. But as Ken said - they're designing the game - it's their right to take it in a direction they want to go! I played the first chapter, and I actually enjoyed it (except for the one character's voice acting). So I will continue to follow it through.
El Ravager
Sierra Obsessed

Post by El Ravager »

Well, I guess I'll throw in my two cents.

First of all, I think people are really jumping the gun. So Phoenix has announced that they're taking things in a "darker" direction. Ok, so what exactly does that mean? There's dark, and there's dark. I would contend that portions of Kq6 (which is almost unanimously considered to be the cream of the crop) are incredibly dark. Ditto with, say, Mordak's castle in Kq5. The ghost sequence in Kq4 gave my kid sister nightmares. But just because those elements and subplots were "dark" doesn't mean they appealed exclusively to adults. So far, all we have to go on is an extended introduction in which Alexander and Rosella are put under a horrible curse that renders them unconscious. How exactly is that any "darker" than King Graham suffering a major heart attack at the beginning of Kq4 that leaves him at death's door? So far, I've seen nothing that is grossly incongruous to the feel of Kq 1-7. Certainly nothing in Ep. 1 has been as "dark" as the Land of the Dead in Kq6. So give it a little more time before grabbing the torches and pitchforks.

That's my crack at a slightly objective analysis. Now for my subjective wants and whims. Personally, as I've said before, some of the earlier King's Quest games are just a little too light-hearted for my tastes. If TSL chooses to eliminate traditional elements such as Rumpelstiltskin, Lil' Red Riding Hood, Goldilocks & the Three Bears, the Seven Dwarves, etc., I'll be pleased as punch. Those particular elements never really resonated with me even when I was younger, and especially not now.

Now I'm no TSL fanboy; Lord knows I found some of the dialogue and voice acting in Ep. 1 distinctly less than perfect. But so far, I've found the game to be witty, entertaining, and perfectly congruous with the general feel of the original series (remembering of course that that feel itself took a few twists and turns as it evolved over the years).

Also, not to be pedantic, but it's unfair to criticize TSL to eliminating dead ends, since Sierra already did that in Kq7.
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

Tawmis wrote:Space Quest - This was a game that centered on both science fiction and plenty of humor and puns! This was for just about anyone and everyone. It was a safe game through and through.
I wouldn't call it safe given how gory some of Roger's deaths can be, and the humor isn't always G-rated. But in the same sense, it could be for anyone the same way "The Simpsons" can be for anyone. It's a series that doesn't always play it safe, but at least doesn't cross any lines. Like QFG, it's audience can be found somewhere between KQ and LSL.
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

And the gory deaths were an integral part of Space Quest. It made dying fun.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
wilco64256
Sierra Fan Wanna Be

Post by wilco64256 »

MusicallyInspired wrote:And the gory deaths were an integral part of Space Quest. It made dying fun.
Oh man that's absolutely true, and some of the most entertaining deaths in those games were connected to the smell and taste icons.
---
Weldon L Hathaway
Quality Assurance Manager
Phoenix Online Studios
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rav echoed my thoughts exactly. So what if Phoenix is going down a "darker path?" Let's see where it leads before we start criticizing their work. For all we know, TSL might turn out better for this change in atmosphere.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote:Rav echoed my thoughts exactly. So what if Phoenix is going down a "darker path?" Let's see where it leads before we start criticizing their work. For all we know, TSL might turn out better for this change in atmosphere.
Well the way I see it, it has about a 99% chance of being better than MOE. :lol:

Return to “Non-Sierra Games & Help”