Rise of the Dragon!

This game getting a rise out of you? Is the game - 'dragon' on? Need hints? Just want to talk about it? Rise of the Dragon discussion goes here!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Rise of the Dragon!

Post by Tawmis »

I had this game - eons ago - and have no idea what happened to it. My friend and I used to split the cost of Sierra games and every other game we'd have ownership of the original disks. So he may have it (and no doubt lost it or trashed it - he doesn't have the same Sierra Collector drive that I do). I had recently lost a bid on ebay for the game - eager to play it once more. Collector had mentioned they had RotD on the Sega CD? Anyone ever play it? Does it have audio?
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Re: Rise of the Dragon!

Post by AndreaDraco »

I'm too interested in some opinions around this game. I have it but never played it, so I'm looking out for some recommendations (or not ;) )
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

The main thing that I don't like about it is the clunky interface.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Is it similar to Willy Beamish's one? From the screenshots the cursor seems the same, and I totally hated that interface!
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

AndreaDraco83 wrote:Is it similar to Willy Beamish's one? From the screenshots the cursor seems the same, and I totally hated that interface!
All of the Dynamix-made Adventure Games (Rise of the Dragon, Heart of China and The Adventures of Willy Beamish) share a similar interface. RotD and HoC have practically the exact same control scheme, whereas TAoWB has a very similar one, but it was redesigned to be more "child-like."

I loved RotD and HoC. The interface didn't bother me too much (which is surprising, considering how very picky I am about controls) and I really liked the option to skip action sequences.

TAoWB, on the other hand, I disliked. I'm not sure why since it wasn't a bad game in of itself. Maybe I didn't care for the excessively cartoon-like imagery.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

The Dynamix adventures always reminded me of a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure novel with it's almost completely dialog-puzzle driven gameplay. I haven't gotten anywhere really in any of them yet, but I like the idea and I intend to get around to them someday.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

MusicallyInspired wrote:The Dynamix adventures always reminded me of a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure novel with it's almost completely dialog-puzzle driven gameplay. I haven't gotten anywhere really in any of them yet, but I like the idea and I intend to get around to them someday.
Heart of China's ending heavily depends on how close the main male and female characters have become. I'm not sure about The Adventures of Willy Beamish since it eventually ticked me off and Rise of the Dragon technically has different paths and endings to follow, but there's really one ending that's considered "correct."
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

I don't have it linked to the main games page as it is not finished, but the SHP entry for Rise of the Dragon can be found here. I have links on it to PDFs that I made of the manual and the graphic novel that came with the game.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Tawmis wrote:I had this game - eons ago - and have no idea what happened to it. My friend and I used to split the cost of Sierra games and every other game we'd have ownership of the original disks. So he may have it (and no doubt lost it or trashed it - he doesn't have the same Sierra Collector drive that I do). I had recently lost a bid on ebay for the game - eager to play it once more. Collector had mentioned they had RotD on the Sega CD? Anyone ever play it? Does it have audio?
RotD was available on the Sega CD, but it had a few changes. The first -- and most obvious -- change was that the graphics were toned down. The Sega CD couldn't display the same amount of colors that a PC could (assuming you had the VGA version). The second change involved some censorship of various areas in the game, particularly the Pleasuredome.

I'm sure the controls were altered as well. I never played the Sega CD copy.

Return to “Rise of the Dragon”