TV Series

Talk about anything you want here
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Re: TV Series

Post by DeadPoolX »

Tawmis wrote:My problem with Heroes is...

Will make font small so ye have to Quote to see it... don't want to spoil it.

They have killed off so many characters, that when Parkman and the Speedster (forgot her name, but love her character) faked their death, I was like, "Big deal." And then when they threw Peter out a window (I knew he wasn't going to die), but the idea of death has been pushed SO much this time - it's like I just don't care. Not to mention they killed characters I actually really liked and wanted to see more of - mainly Adam. So my interest has rapidly been falling. If something happens to Elle - that may be it for me and HEROES.
I've read a lot of comics and no one ever dies for long in those. Even Bucky (Captain America's sidekick in the 1940s during WWII), who was long considered to be the one character who stayed dead, actually came back a little while ago as the Winter Soldier.

Of course, a hero's death in comics is really only there to raise sales. Look at the "Death of Superman" storyline from the early 1990s. There was a long, drawn out battle between Superman and Doomsday, which resulted in both of them killing the other. Then there was the "Funeral for a Friend" storyline and last but not least, the "Return of Superman" as well. Would DC Comics ever permanently kill off their most iconic character? Of course not. They merely did it get more comics sold, since at the time Superman comics weren't selling too well (at least in comparison to other heroes and teams).

Don't even get me started on the X-Men and of their off-shoot comics. Aside from the unnecessary melodrama, so many characters have been killed or died for some reason or another, only to be brought back to life at a later date. A great example of this is the "Phoenix" storyline, in which Jean Grey becomes the all-powerful and god-like entity known as the Phoenix and eventually dies. She was brought back to life, though.

In a way, killing off characters or altering them severely (i.e. Superman's electric powers and new costume or Magneto removing the adamantium from Wolverine's body) is a slap in the face to readers. All these companies are doing is selling a falsehood to get their money.

It's basically the same with a show like Heroes. No one stays dead and any severe changes will most likely be reversed at a later date.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote: It's basically the same with a show like Heroes. No one stays dead and any severe changes will most likely be reversed at a later date.
Oh I know stuff like {SPOILER} Peter will get his powers or alternate powers but I seriously doubt {SPOILER} Adam will ever be coming back after the father absorbed his power and he aged to dust.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Tawmis wrote:My problem with Heroes is...

Will make font small so ye have to Quote to see it... don't want to spoil it.
You know that we now have spoiler tags.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Yes, but do they work on all phpbb themes? Say if I am using Black and someone is using the Sierra Help Pages theme or the SubSilver - will it work on all of them?
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Yes, because the highlight and the font are the same color.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

Personally my issue with Heroes is that for the plots to work the characters have to become utter morons.
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

Well that's why I said I liked the first season the best. Death actually seemed like some kind of threat then. Now it's not. Meh. Still, I tend to enjoy it more than the usual fare.
"I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept."
--The Marquis de Carabas in Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

SUPERNATURAL and BONES are probably my favorites right now.

SUPERNATURAL more so.
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

I must say, I think I have a new favourite in State Of Play, so far I've only watched the first two episodes but I am most definately intrigued.
Fender_178
Sierra Veteran

Post by Fender_178 »

Well I dont watch that much tv. and My favorite show that is on is House thats on Tuesday nights at 8 on fox.
FREEZE SCUM!!
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

I just finished the mini series State Of Play and must say that I cannot recommend it highly enough, if you like your political thrillers with excellent actors.
Jules
Delta Babe

Post by Jules »

Fender_178 wrote:Well I dont watch that much tv. and My favorite show that is on is House thats on Tuesday nights at 8 on fox.
I don't watch TV very much either unless something interesting is on a nerdy channel but my boyfriend's favorite show is House as well. Sometimes I'll watch it because House is such a riot.

My coworkers are saying how funny It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is. Has anyone seen it?
Matthias
Sierra Fan Wanna Be

Post by Matthias »

There are a lot of TV shows I've been watching recently, but I'll just list the ones I like the most out of the bunch:

I love 24, didn't get into it until the 5th season, and then I went back and watched all the previous seasons. They're releasing a "prequel" movie to the new season at the end of the month here in the States, looking forward to it. :)

I've watched Supernatural since the beginning, and I find myself eagerly awaiting Thursday every week. While the acting's not all that great, it's gotten better since the first season and the storylines and the show's ambiance are great.

Dexter's another show I really enjoy. It's so delightfully wicked, and it's an interesting Psychological study (I was a Psych major in school, after all).

I've been watching True Blood for its first season on HBO and it's...interesting. I like the show and it's take on vampires in modern society, but some of the sexual themes are more disturbing than the gore. One thing that's annoying about the show though is the obvious, irritating cliffhangers from week to week. For example, they'll end an episode with the main character, Sookie, about to be beaten to death (which is precisely how the first episode ended).

As far as comedy shows go, I started watching How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory and Worst Week recently. They're all pretty funny, and I hope Worst Week is picked up for additional seasons (it's on its first). Another show I like a lot is Two and a Half Men.
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Matthias wrote: I love 24...

I've watched Supernatural since the beginning...

Dexter's another show I really enjoy...

As far as comedy shows go, I started watching How I Met Your Mother...
We're going to get along very, very well! :)
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

Pushing Daisies. I love it so much, and now its joining the long row of shows cancelled way too soon. There is no justice in the world :x :cry: *ahem*

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”