The Brainless Box (aka Television Shows)

Talk about anything you want here
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Re: The Brainless Box (aka Television Shows)

Post by DeadPoolX »

AndreaDraco wrote:
Maiandra wrote: Neither show seems extraordinarily original to me in terms of ideas, since I've read a number of supernatural series over the years, plus a lot of urban fantasy. To me Lost Girl just another set of tales in that tradition, using similar themes from a number of sources.
Aside from Changeling: The Dreaming, an old pen-and-paper RPG set in the World of Darkness, I never really approached the urban fantasy genre. Unless you count in it Gaiman's Nevermore, which is quite stunning I must admit.
Andrea, you should try reading an ongoing graphic novel series called Fables. It's about fairy tale characters (from all over, not just western Europe) were exiled to our world. They have to adjust and fit in, despite being very different; some of they are so different they're not allowed to see the public.

I'm not describing it very well, but it's really quite good. In fact, Maia's tag is from Fables. That's Cinderella, who's become a secret agent and performs some unsavory deeds (including assassination) for the fairy tale characters.

You might be able to find some of these graphic novels in a library; if not, you'd have to buy them. I'd recommend buying the first graphic novel (we have 12 of them and there are three new ones which have released recently) and maybe 1001 Nights of Snowfall.

Just in case you were wondering, these stories are NOT for kids, as some of the stories involve sex, nudity, murder, rape, torture, etc. The characters are based off the original tales, not whatever Disney versions people know nowadays.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

The question is: are they published in Italy?

As you may have guessed, I have no problem reading in English, but the shipping cost to have them delivered from the United States can be quite high.

I will see if I can find them, though. The premise seems really interesting!
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

AndreaDraco wrote:The question is: are they published in Italy?

As you may have guessed, I have no problem reading in English, but the shipping cost to have them delivered from the United States can be quite high.

I will see if I can find them, though. The premise seems really interesting!
It seems Fables was sold by Amazon.it, but it's currently unavailable. I had no idea what "Attualmente non disponibile" meant in English, but a quick stop to Google Translate and I found out.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Amazon.it was launched only a couple of months ago, maybe there's still hope to see it on the site. I'll keep an eye on it!
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

A new BBC scifi series has just begun. The second episode is airing right now. Outcasts so far is interesting. The story is still clunky as hell in parts and the cast is doing the best they can with some bad lines on occasion. On the other hand, its new, it looks gorgeous and the cast is quite good. Hermoine Norris is stupendous as usual.

I'm checking out the second episode even if the end of episode one took away rugged looking Jamie Bamberr. *snif*

Even if I still cannot look at Eric Mabius playing anything even remotely evilish without thinking: no Daniel!! Betty would not approve!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00x8fw4
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

AndreaDraco wrote:
I think the focus of the two series is reversed, though. I don't think Kenzi is anything like Tara. I don't know if you've watched any further episodes, but she's a lot more favorable about Bo being with Dyson than Tara was about Sookie being with Bill.
I also hope that she's also not as depressing as Tara, who in the latter half of the season did nothing but crying and pouting!
A little late, but no, she's not like Tara at all in that regard or most. :)
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Finally, after a mediocre first-half, Supernatural is back! I really enjoyed these last two episodes.

Soulless Sam was a huge error. The show doesn't work without Sam, Dean and their brotherly love. Now that Sam's back, everything's fine again.

In my opinion, the sixth season should have started with last week's episode!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

AndreaDraco wrote:Finally, after a mediocre first-half, Supernatural is back! I really enjoyed these last two episodes.
Avoided the spoiler, because I am one episode behind because the wife is out of town.

But yes, glad to have it back! Last one I saw was... Well, I will just say Dean and the Sword in the Stone! :lol:
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

You can safely read the spoiler, Tawm. The last episode you saw was the one I was referring to: I've also seen the next one, but it is in "Like A Virgin" that Supernatural really came back and the spoiler was about that!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Since you said it was safe to read...
AndreaDraco wrote: Soulless Sam was a huge error. The show doesn't work without Sam, Dean and their brotherly love. Now that Sam's back, everything's fine again.
I completely agree with you! :lol:

I did enjoy the initial idea of Sam being without a Soul... Because that way when the season started, everything wasn't IMMEDIATELY back to normal. So having Dean deal with Sam in that condition was good for the start of the series; so long as they eventually got back to Sam being normal. An interesting twist, while Sam was Soulless was Dean having to deal with a blood thirsty Sam; the way Sam had to deal with Dean. So I enjoyed the shoe being on the other foot. But with Sam having his soul back; it was great! I know there's going to be more to it and probably some kind of consequence down the line; but I just loved how Sam, when he got it back, was starving and everything (since while he was soulless he didn't need to eat)! :lol:
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Tawmis wrote:I did enjoy the initial idea of Sam being without a Soul... Because that way when the season started, everything wasn't IMMEDIATELY back to normal. So having Dean deal with Sam in that condition was good for the start of the series; so long as they eventually got back to Sam being normal. An interesting twist, while Sam was Soulless was Dean having to deal with a blood thirsty Sam; the way Sam had to deal with Dean. So I enjoyed the shoe being on the other foot. But with Sam having his soul back; it was great! I know there's going to be more to it and probably some kind of consequence down the line; but I just loved how Sam, when he got it back, was starving and everything (since while he was soulless he didn't need to eat)! :lol:
I didn't enjoy the idea even at the beginning. It could have been interesting in an earlier season, but after the new showrunners promised a return to the series roots I was expecting to have them both back and hunting from the very beginning.

Tawmis, what do you think of the new Big Bad, the Mother of All? It sounds interesting to me, even if she reminds a bit of Lilith's sassy attitude.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

AndreaDraco wrote: I didn't enjoy the idea even at the beginning. It could have been interesting in an earlier season, but after the new showrunners promised a return to the series roots I was expecting to have them both back and hunting from the very beginning.
I dunno. Sam goes to Hell and just comes back 'A-Okay.' I would have been SEVERELY disappointed. Because how many times has either Sam and/or Dean 'died' to some degree - and one brother does something to bring the other brother back and everything's fine. I mean, both Sam and Dean have endured Hell, now. (Literally, for both of them! I don't mean figuratively!) And they're both expected to come back 'All right?' Nah, I wouldn't have been happy. I was glad to see some consequence, some change, for Sam's return from Hell. To have Sam fall into the Pit and take Satan with him; and come back untouched would have been cheap. I wouldn't have minded if it was shorter (that they found a way to bring back Sam's soul). But I think there NEEDED to be something; and not just have Sam come back perfectly fine.

Make no mistake - I want what we have now - a good relationship between Dean and Sam and some humor back into Supernatural. This is what I love about the show, is the interaction between the two brothers and the humor they often bring even in the most desperate situations.
AndreaDraco wrote: Tawmis, what do you think of the new Big Bad, the Mother of All? It sounds interesting to me, even if she reminds a bit of Lilith's sassy attitude.
My first thought, strangely tied to Dragon Age, as I envisioned some kind of Brood Mother or something. :lol:

But, I am curious to see where it goes. I mean, it had to be something new. I wouldn't mind if they went more to the Monster of the Week type of thing.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Tawmis wrote: I dunno. Sam goes to Hell and just comes back 'A-Okay.' I would have been SEVERELY disappointed.
Yes, you're right. I agree with you, but especially when you said that it should have been shorter. Eleven episodes out of twenty-two, solely dedicated to Soulless!Sam was straining.
Make no mistake - I want what we have now - a good relationship between Dean and Sam and some humor back into Supernatural. This is what I love about the show, is the interaction between the two brothers and the humor they often bring even in the most desperate situations.
Exactly. And just to quote a favorite of my boyfriend from the last episode you've seen...

Sam: So, what kind of thing likes virgins and gold?
Dean: P. Diddy?

Dean is amazing :lol:
I wouldn't mind if they went more to the Monster of the Week type of thing.
If they still are connected into some kind of myth-arc, I'm all for it.

Oh, and in other television news: Jamie Bamber reunites with Ron Moore! I'm so in :lol:
Maxor127
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Maxor127 »

Supernatural is probably my favorite show on right now. Even at its worst, it's better and more entertaining than most shows. I just hate sitting through the awful CW commercials.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Maxor127 wrote:Supernatural is probably my favorite show on right now. Even at its worst, it's better and more entertaining than most shows. I just hate sitting through the awful CW commercials.
Just record the shows on DVR (or at least VCR) and watch them later. Sure, they'll still have commercials, but you can skip them that way.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”