(how in Carman Sandiago do I use floppies)

Talk about anything you want here
abyss
Sierra Fan

(how in Carman Sandiago do I use floppies)

Post by abyss »

I can't find the floppy drive on my computer which makes floppies useless. How do I insert floppies. Can someone please help.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Re: (how in Carman Sandiago do I use floppies)

Post by DeadPoolX »

abyss wrote:I can't find the floppy drive on my computer which makes floppies useless. How do I insert floppies. Can someone please help.
Well... does your PC even have a floppy drive? Many modern computers don't have one since they're so rarely used now.

The good news is that if you're trying to access 3.5" diskettes, there are quite a few external options (some of which use USB) so you can easily play the old games. If you need a 5.25" diskette drive, you may have to scour eBay or a garage sale of some sort. It's pretty difficult to find a 5.25" diskette drive nowadays. I've looked and the most I come up with are external 5.25" diskette drives for extremely old Macs.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Almirena
Supreme Songstress

Post by Almirena »

If you don't have the right size floppy drive on your computer, you will need to get the floppy backed up onto, perhaps, CD-ROM, by finding a computer that DOES have the floppy drive. I suppose it's possible that disk/video duplicating places will be able to do this too.

Collector will be better at telling you step by step what's involved.
I purpled the martyred moon
Where twilight drank all light
abyss
Sierra Fan

Post by abyss »

I need a floppy drive to play floppies. 5.25 inch and 3.5 inch floppies are what I plan to use.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

abyss wrote:I need a floppy drive to play floppies. 5.25 inch and 3.5 inch floppies are what I plan to use.
As I said, 3.5" diskette drives can be found somewhat easily. The real trick is acquiring a 5.25" diskette drive (and then making sure it not only works, but that it's also compatible with your PC).
the_doctor
Sierra Lover

Post by the_doctor »

even if you get floppy drives, backing them up to CD is a good idea as well. that way if the disk ever fails (which eventually it will) you wont lose the contents.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

You can get an external USB drive for your 3.5" disks. See this thread for more information. You may be SOL as far as the 5.25" goes. It is not just having a free bay and free controller, but also a compatible controller. if your PC does have a floppy controller, it may not work with a 5.25". You may need to resort to an old PC to make the drive usable.

Even if you get it going, you might still have problems reading the disks. The 5.25" disk tend to be older and as such are more likely to be corrupt. Also if you are talking about Tandy disks you can have additional issues. Some Tandys used a proprietary format instead of FAT12, rendering them unreadable on a modern PC.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector beat me to the punch of my own thread about 3.5" USB Floppies. The 5.25" Drives however - I have found no USB drives for those... simply put I don't think they will even make them anymore. Your best bet is finding an old computer that has it and copying the folders to the desktop then burning them on CD or copying them by some other means...
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Hmmm... I wonder if anyone actually read the thread before posting. I suppose not, since what I advised has already been repeated twice. ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I did read it - was just going to link my thread where I even linked USB 3.5 drives... but Collector beat me to it... and was just adding my two cents that I have been searching for 5.25" USB drives and have had no luck with it.

Thankfully some of the older laptops have 5.25" drives that I can use to copy files then either burn it or map them to a computer where I can burn the software.
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

You shouldn't have any problem locating a USB 3.5" drive. They're plentiful in almost any computer-related store. I happen to be lucky enough to still have not one but two 5.25" disk drives :D.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I have PCs on my patio that have 5.25" drives... just no slot on my main PC for the drive slot.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”