McG to do... Wonder Woman?

Talk about anything you want here
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Re: McG to do... Wonder Woman?

Post by Datadog »

therogue wrote:Every single commercial I've seen for it, and they marketed the hell out of it for a while, focused on Jay Chou and barely mentioned Rogen or Diaz. Hell, I didn't know Diaz was in it until I read a review for it.
That weirded me out when Diaz came on-screen. I thought maybe it was a cameo role, but nope - she was in it for the whole movie. Doesn't matter, since Jay Chou still stole the whole show. Everything that was ever awesome about The Green Hornet was poured into Jay's one character, and Rogen was just along for the ride.

Regarding iconic costumes and what qualifies as "well-known," it differs for every person. For me, I don't read comics, but even over twenty years ago - before I even knew what an internet was or before watching certain shows and movie, I still somehow had some basic knowledge of certain superheroes. If you showed me a picture of Superman, I would know it was Superman. I couldn't tell you any of his villains, name all his powers, or even recall his life story - I just knew it was Superman. Closing my eyes, other characters that immediately pop into mind are Batman, Wonder Woman, Spider-man, and the Incredible Hulk. They all have very iconic appearances.

In terms of other characters like the X-Men, nothing major about them sticks out in my mind. I remember watching a few of their cartoons as a kid, but the only things stamped into my brain from back then are Wolverine's claws and Cyclops' laser-vision. Even today, I don't know anything about their costumes, and I'd still confuse that X emblem for just another X. It's not like Ninja Turtles where it was as easy as memorizing the color of their masks or who used which weapon.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Datadog wrote: Regarding iconic costumes and what qualifies as "well-known," it differs for every person. For me, I don't read comics, but even over twenty years ago - before I even knew what an internet was or before watching certain shows and movie, I still somehow had some basic knowledge of certain superheroes. If you showed me a picture of Superman, I would know it was Superman. I couldn't tell you any of his villains, name all his powers, or even recall his life story - I just knew it was Superman. Closing my eyes, other characters that immediately pop into mind are Batman, Wonder Woman, Spider-man, and the Incredible Hulk. They all have very iconic appearances.
I think that's what DPX was saying; all of those characters were originally solo characters for a long time (well Hulk was in the Avengers, but that was brief; and Spider-Man is and has been an Avenger for sometime now - but that's Modern Marvel for you, le sigh). But most solo characters, are far more iconic than team costumes. Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, even Wonder Woman have had the slightest variation in their costumes (well other than when Spider-Man had the black and white costume, which then became Venom's costume later).
Datadog wrote: In terms of other characters like the X-Men, nothing major about them sticks out in my mind. I remember watching a few of their cartoons as a kid, but the only things stamped into my brain from back then are Wolverine's claws and Cyclops' laser-vision. Even today, I don't know anything about their costumes, and I'd still confuse that X emblem for just another X. It's not like Ninja Turtles where it was as easy as memorizing the color of their masks or who used which weapon.
Ironically, I can't remember which color goes to which weapon in TMNT.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Tawmis wrote:Ironically, I can't remember which color goes to which weapon in TMNT.
Blue = Leonardo (katanaa)
Red = Raphael (sai daggers)
Orange = Michelangelo (nunchukes)
Purple = Donatello (bo staff)

What's interesting is that the original comic book series was MUCH different than the cartoon. The cartoon showed us happy-go-lucky ninja turtles who cracked jokes and never killed anyone. Contrast that with the comic book versions, who were incredibly violent, lacked a sense of humor and had no problem wounding or killing their enemies, and you can see the content was thoroughly changed.

Oh and the turtles all wore red masks when shown in color. The original comic was black and white.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

Considering Wonder Woman apparently used to wear a skirt and shoes instead of a bathing-suit and boots, I can't see that updating her outfit again to include leg-covering tights should be that big of a deal.

If they made the bottoms just go all the way down into her boots and limit the number of stars to a few, it would be much better. Making the colours darker instead of so bright would be good too. Other than that, I think it could remain the same and still look very much like Wonder Woman.
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/02/01/ ... -spoilers/

More details have leaked about the tv pilot script and I'm sad to say it looks soul destroyingly awful. Really, do they have to use freaking Wonder Woman to make yet another tv show about a 'quirky' woman pining for a man. :roll: :x
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/friday-night-l ... boot--2390

Prolific TV producer David E. Kelley is known for creating female characters who tend to polarize audiences — most notoriously "post-feminist" poster girl Ally McBeal. Fortunately, for the "Wonder Woman" pilot he's helming for NBC, he's already made one move that has been met with near-unanimous approval: Adrianne Palicki has been cast to play the titular superheroine.

Palicki is probably still best known for her role as Tyra Collette for the first three seasons of NBC/DirecTV's "Friday Night Lights." Here she is opposite Landry (Jesse Plemons) in a memorable moment from the Season 1 episode "Mud Bowl."

But if fans of that show might respond that her co-star Minka Kelly is a closer physical fit, with her long, dark hair, than Palicki (who played Tyra with a blonde bob), it may be because they didn't see Palicki as a brunette in Fox's short-lived "Lone Star." And as ComicsAlliance.com notes, at 5'11" Palicki also has the physical stature necessary to play the athletic descendant of Amazons.

The world hasn't seen a live-action Wonder Woman since Lynda Carter played her in the '70s TV series, but since then, many young actresses' names have been floated for the role. When "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" creator Joss Whedon was writing a feature-film adaptation of the classic comic book, he had Angelina Jolie in mind, while Beyoncé Knowles and Charisma Carpenter also expressed interest in playing her. When Megan Fox distanced herself from Wonder Woman rumors, calling the character "lame," Carter responded in defense of the role that defined her career. (Carter has Tweeted her support for her TV successor.)

When the news was announced last night, many TV critics Tweeted ecstatically: "No hyperbole," wrote Daniel Fienberg of HitFix.com, "Adrianne Palicki as Wonder Woman may be the greatest news in the history of the universe." "Love, love this casting," agreed Eric Goldman of IGN.com.

Others, however, had reservations. Earlier this month, Jace Lacob published a scathing review of the "Wonder Woman" pilot script at The Daily Beast, detailing such worrisome clichés as "pajama parties" and comments on the protagonist's breast size and dismissing the whole as "both cloying and tragically un-hip." So when Lacob's editor, Daily Beast West Coast Editor Kate Aurthur Tweeted, "Not on my worst enemy would I wish that role!," one assumes she knows exactly what she's talking about. At least producers have time for rewrites.
Attachments
wonderwoman-tv.png
wonderwoman-tv.png (180.52 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

She's a very good actress. She was great in Friday Night Lights (a masterpiece, by the way) and I can see her as Wonder Womand. A fine choice, in my opinion.
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

She's fantastic on Friday Night Lights but the details released about the WW series sound utterly awful. :?
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

I've never seen or heard of her until now, but even if she is a good actress, that doesn't mean she can shit if the writing is bad. Like TheRogue said, the details released about WW, at this point, sound ridiculously bad.

BTW, is anyone else tired of Megan Fox? Yeah, she's good looking, but her attitude is awful. I remember reading she pissed off Michael Bay so much --both on and off the set -- that he refused to cast her again in his next Transformers movie.

Regardless of what you think about the TF movies, it's those that've made her well known. Going beyond that, Fox is still a relatively new actress with few movies under her belt. The very last thing an upcoming actress should do is publicly badmouth a director (even if she feels he deserves it).
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/03/18 ... der-woman/

First image of Adrianne Palicki starring as the title character in the new NBC pilot “Wonder Woman,” from executive producer David E. Kelley (“Boston Legal,” “Ally McBeal,” NBC’s “Harry’s Law”). The pilot was written by Kelley, who also serves as executive producer with Bill D’Elia (“Boston Legal,” “The Practice,” NBC’s “Harry’s Law”). Jeffrey Reiner (“The Event”) is directing. Based upon DC Comics characters, “Wonder Woman” is from David E. Kelley Productions and Warner Bros. Television.
Attachments
ap_as_ww.jpg
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Is that really a publicity shot? It looks like something you'd see on one of those Halloween costume websites for adults. :P

Is that latex? It resembles a Wonder Woman-themed S&M outfit. The blue boots are also really ugly, so they don't help matters any.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

She could lasso me any time, is all I'm sayin'...
:lol:
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

:? The costume looks like it belongs in low budget p0rn. Just ugh.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Well keep in mind, in comics, Wonder Woman's costume is... acceptable (though most argue physics and how her breasts don't fall out) - but even Linda Carter as Wonder Woman, if you look at the costume, it IS pretty silly...
WonderWoman.jpg
And of course, there's always this Wonder Woman...
wonder-woman1.jpg
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

TAWM!!!
Wiping coffee off my monitor, desk, shirt..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”