dotkel50 wrote:TAWM!!!
Wiping coffee off my monitor, desk, shirt..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:

Sorry maybe that one should have come with a warning. :twisted:
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Re: McG to do... Wonder Woman?

Post by Datadog »

Tawmis wrote:Well keep in mind, in comics, Wonder Woman's costume is... acceptable (though most argue physics and how her breasts don't fall out) - but even Linda Carter as Wonder Woman, if you look at the costume, it IS pretty silly...
I keep seeing attempts at improving the costume, but all of them fail miserably. And then once someone posts up a picture of the original, it really doesn't look as bad as all the half-assed attempts at updating it.

In all honestly, it's not really a bad costume. I'm looking at this picture of her cartoon counter-part, and somehow, the costume doesn't seem like an issue. That's because I'm drawn to the face where it looks like she's staring daggers into my soul. This woman actually looks like a super-hero. Heck, if she and Superman cornered me in an alley, I'd be begging Supes for help. If Superman and the live-action Wonder Woman cornered me, I'd be giggling at her uncomfortable shiny pants.

So maybe the problem isn't changing the costume, but finding an actress who can convincingly wear it. Linda Carter pulls it off well, and I think if they brought that image of her into the 21st century and hit it with the right lighting, she would look ten times more awesome.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Datadog wrote: So maybe the problem isn't changing the costume, but finding an actress who can convincingly wear it. Linda Carter pulls it off well, and I think if they brought that image of her into the 21st century and hit it with the right lighting, she would look ten times more awesome.
Yes, but did Linda Carter pull it off well because you were a kid and it was much easier to accept?

EDIT: Mind you I am not saying the new one is going to blow doors! Linda Carter was a fantasy woman for me growing up BECAUSE of her role as Wonder Woman. She was beautiful to me, and strong, and powerful. I just can't help - if they took Linda Carter from then - put her in her original Wonder Woman costume - and tried to release the show today - if it would do anywhere near as well as it did back then - or would people be posting, "She looks a bit silly."
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

I still think the casting is great but I cannot look at those pants without going: holy moly, uncomfortable and lord I hope she's got some decent underwear under there. Also, the show is by David E Kelley, the man has not written a decent female character in well, ever.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

I don't think anyone will argue that WW's costume isn't silly. The point is that Linda Carter's outfit, while still completely unrealistic, didn't look stripperific.

Don't get me wrong, if this were a show about superhero strip clubs, I'd be all in favor of that WW costume. However, this TV show (supposedly) isn't about that, so they need to fix a few things.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

Tawmis wrote:Yes, but did Linda Carter pull it off well because you were a kid and it was much easier to accept?
I never watched WW as a kid (I think it was way before my time) and the character herself holds no nostalgic value for me. Rather I'm looking at the idea that it's always been this costume in which she's always been the most successful.

Yes, of course, the costume does look silly if you put it on a woman and make her stand in the street asking us to take her seriously, but I think that goes to show that it's all about presentation. Even Superman's and Batman's costumes looks silly when they're standing around. What's always sold those characters was the actor inside the costume, shooting them from the right angles, or just plain seeing them in action. Much like Superman and Batman, if they treated Wonder Woman less like a stripper/cosplayer and more like a force of nature, no one would even see the costume.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Wonder Woman costume changed...

http://io9.com/#!5787224/see-the-new-an ... /gallery/1

Even superheroes make mistakes, it seems. Or at least those that make their costumes do.

Earlier in March, the costume for the Adrianne Palicki-starring "Wonder Woman" TV series reboot was unveiled, and subsequently, roundly criticized. The pants were too bright and vinyl-like, detractors said, and the blue boot on the blue pant made it look like footie pajamas. Calls came for a return to the traditional red Wonder Woman boot.

Apparently, the costumers behind the David E. Kelley pilot took the complaints to heart, because all those alleged mistakes have been remedied. New photos and a video of Palicki and a stunt double in action as Wonder Woman reveal that a new pant material and new boot color have been incorporated.

Yesterday, it came out that Warner Bros. Films were planning a movie version of the Justice League, a team of superheroes in which Wonder Woman is a member. She could get a big screen adaptation after that; costumes for either film version wouldn't necessarily rely on the TV version.

Check out the video; do you think the changes are an improvement?

Video here.
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

The new costume is somewhat of an improvement (doing away with the vinyl trousers) however I can't help but practically feel sympathy pain for Miss Palicky and the stunt ladies because running around in that top looks painful. (The top doesn't look to me like it offers any decent support for any activity, let alone full out running) :|
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

therogue wrote:The new costume is somewhat of an improvement (doing away with the vinyl trousers) however I can't help but practically feel sympathy pain for Miss Palicky and the stunt ladies because running around in that top looks painful. (The top doesn't look to me like it offers any decent support for any activity, let alone full out running) :|
Well the bottom of the top (for the breasts, which is what I assume you mean for support) - looks like it offers support (or in the last picture)... for the bottom. Not much support to the top, admittedly. It looks like a push up bra.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Looks like something could come flying out in a "wardrobe malfunction". :lol:
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Tawmis wrote:It looks like a push up bra.
Maybe a wonder bra? :P
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

Tawmis wrote: Well the bottom of the top (for the breasts, which is what I assume you mean for support) - looks like it offers support (or in the last picture)... for the bottom. Not much support to the top, admittedly. It looks like a push up bra.
:nods: trust me, when it comes to running, especially for the well endowed ladies, support to the top is also very important. I've been told some horror stories about what can happen in case of bad sports bras.
I can't help it but when I see costumes like that my ability to suspend disbelief flies straight out of the window and my brain just goes: ouch ouch ouch
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

My brain is thinking something else entirely! :lol:
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

Non-shiny pants: Thumbs up.
Red boots: Thumbs up again!

I can't see what else they changed, but given the actress' measurements... are they sure she's right for the costume? Or was some perverted director just excited to be there when she starts falling out all over the place? I would've picked an actress with smaller - more realistically athletic - measurements. This poor girl is going to suffer like the dickens.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Wonder Woman should be flying, but I guess running is a lot cheaper.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”