GREY MATTER (News and Potential Spoilers Within!)

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: GREY MATTER update! (Sort of relates to Gabriel Knight t

Post by Collector »

I should also mention that at least the North American release comes with no DRM and can be played without the DVD. I would like to encourage anyone who has been curious about this game to buy it. I think it is important that publishers see that Adventures can be profitable and that not including draconian DRM measures can be a positive, not just for the customers, but for the publishers, too.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Good point. And spreading the word.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

My copy from Amazon arrived today! :D
laffer
Sierra Enthusiast

Post by laffer »

Collector wrote:I should also mention that at least the North American release comes with no DRM and can be played without the DVD. I would like to encourage anyone who has been curious about this game to buy it. I think it is important that publishers see that Adventures can be profitable and that not including draconian DRM measures can be a positive, not just for the customers, but for the publishers, too.
I actually went a bit overboard with this game and bought the (really expensive) digital download version... then I found out about the CE and bought two of that one... not sure how I feel about that, I was a little bit too excited about this game that evening... but oh well, done is done, it's not a fortune in any case.

The reason I bought the digital download btw was so I could start playing immediately... but the site you could buy it from (forgot the name atm) took about 24 hours or so to validate my credit card information, or something of the sort.
And it only told me AFTER I bought the game, you can imagine I was quite annoyed about that :shock:
Honestly, if you can't even get your games right away (or at least as quickly as your download speed allows)... if purchasing a digitial download version of a game means having to wait more than 24 hours to get it... then I think much of the point of buying downloads is gone.
Fortunately I generally don't care much about how things are concerning digital download versions of games as I never buy them if there is a boxed version available... but yeah, in this case my impatience got the better of me.

Oh and it also came with what seems like a quite restrictive DRM, from what I understood it has limited activations.
Needless to say, I quite regret being too impatient to wait for my boxed copies to arrive, that is one site I do not like having given any of my money to.

But ah well, at least I did get to play it for some days before my boxed copies arrived.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: GREY MATTER (News and Potential Spoilers Within!)

Post by Tawmis »

Now that I beat Dragon Age 2 (though doing a less than excited second play through), I will probably begin poking at Gray Matter now as well.

So if folks begin discussing the game - please remember to use spoilers! :D
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Tawmis wrote:if folks begin discussing the game - please remember to use spoilers! :D
OK, OK, t4wm1$1$r34LLY4w3s0m3. :lol:

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote:
Tawmis wrote:if folks begin discussing the game - please remember to use spoilers! :D
OK, OK, t4wm1$1$r34LLY4w3s0m3. :lol:
Argh! Biggest. Spoiler. Evah! :lol:
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Of course you will never be able to reset anyone's password to that again on this board, now that it has been made public. ;)

DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Collector wrote:Of course you will never be able to reset anyone's password to that again on this board, now that it has been made public. ;)
Shit. Now I need to reset my password. :P
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

You could change it to t4wm1$1$F41l54uc3 :lol:

laffer
Sierra Enthusiast

Post by laffer »

So Collector, did you finish the game yet?

A bit curious how you feel about this game, I think it's very interesting to hear what people heavily interested in classic adventure games think about this one.

Honestly, I'm not sure myself... while I did enjoy it, I did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would have.
Maybe because I have played very few modern adventure games, except many of the Telltale ones (I liked Gray Matter better than the majority of those btw), so I wasn't fully sure what to expect.

Anyway, it sort of felt a bit slow (just doing anything felt sluggish, how your character has to line up with things and walk over to stuff just to look at it, etc), serious lack of hotspots, extremely easy puzzles... thinking of it like that, I find it a bit odd that I did in fact enjoy the game as much as I did.

But it's probably because of the atmosphere and story, both of which I found pretty good.
To be honest though - I can't say for sure if the fact that Jane Jensen wrote it has somewhat affected my judgement of this game... I wonder if this was just another game (but identical in every way), only not written by Jane Jensen... if I would like it equally much then.

Anyway, I tend to sound too negative, all in all it's a game I easily recommend to adventure fans... except maybe those who count the puzzles as one of the most important aspects.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

No, I have not had the time to invest in playing games.

laffer
Sierra Enthusiast

Post by laffer »

Ah I see. It's easy to forget people might actually be busy, seeing as the last year or so I've had much more time than I'd like on my hands :)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Based on what I've found online through Google, message boards and checking various stores (both brick-and-mortar and online), I've come to the conclusion that Gray Matter isn't available in Canada. This post on AdventureGamers.com confirmed it for me.

GM is sold at Walmart (in the US) and other US online retailers. The Canadian versions of stores like Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart don't have it for sale. Canadian stores, like Future Shop, also don't have it.

Some of those stores, like Amazon.com, will let Canadians buy items from them, but we get hit with a hefty charge. For instance... GM is on Amazon.com for $19.99 right now, but when shipped to Canada, the price jumps an extra 10 dollars.

There might be digital copies to download, but I don't know where. Last time I checked GM isn't on Steam and Amazon.com won't allow you to download the game unless you have a US billing address.

Although I'm a little annoyed about this, I'm glad it's only GM and not a game like Mass Effect 3, Portal 2 or Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
Last edited by DeadPoolX on Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
laffer
Sierra Enthusiast

Post by laffer »

That does suck, the distribution of the game in general appears to me to have been somewhat of a disaster.

That said, $29.99 isn't really *that* bad of a price, in my opinion... I'd say it's definitely worth that.

Return to “Non-Sierra Games & Help”