And One Must Perish!

Is the game being a ROYAL pain? Need a hint? Got a problem? This is the place to discuss King's Quest!
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Re: And One Must Perish!

Post by AndreaDraco »

Connor? Uhm... I think I never heard of a Connor...

:twisted:
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Taryn
Sierra Fan

Post by Taryn »

Connor was the protagonist in a certain atrocity known as "Mask of Eternity"...

(1) 1. Boomkat - Run Boy *10 weeks at #1*
(6) 2. Sugababes - No Can Do
(3) 3. Alex C. - Liebe Zu Dritt
(5) 4. Maksim - Luc^s^aja Hoc^'
(2) 5. Miro - Gubja Kontrol Kogato
Full chart
Fender_178
Sierra Veteran

Post by Fender_178 »

I totally agree. Connor is an unnecessary character.
FREEZE SCUM!!
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Let's pile on Conner, now. Mental image of Conner being thrown on the pyre, unable to escape because it "Tis beyond my reach."
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

How cruel of you, Collector! :lol:
Almirena
Supreme Songstress

Post by Almirena »

Poor Conner!

But if he were the one to perish, there would be no emotional tug, and therefore the tension of loss would not be present.

I think of Mask of Eternity as being a game in the KQ world, but not strictly speaking a game in the KQ series. It's King's Quest: Mask of Eternity rather than King's Quest 8: The Vicissitudes of Valanice or King's Quest 8: Graham Goes Crackers or King's Quest 8: Heir We Go Again ... or something. So Conner himself isn't a major KQ player for me.

I could not really be emotionally involved if this character perished.
I purpled the martyred moon
Where twilight drank all light
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

I always thought Connor sounded like a twit. I'm not sure even a personality would have saved him with that irritating voice.
"I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept."
--The Marquis de Carabas in Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

The way he speaks, so erudite, always reminded me of an episode of Friends.

Ross and Rachel are living together to take care of the newly-born Emma, and Ross accidentally closed them outside the door without having the key to reopen it: poor Emma was left inside, alone, and when Ross realized, he said (he and Rachel made a pact on speaking without any dirty word): "Holey Moley, are we in a pickle now"
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Maiandra wrote:I always thought Connor sounded like a twit. I'm not sure even a personality would have saved him with that irritating voice.
I didn't mind his voice that much, but what really annoyed me was how little interaction there was in the environment. What little existed were either enemies to be killed (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) or objects that he had to be extremely close to in order to use it.

Half the time Conner would say, "Tis beyond my reach!" when I tried to get him to do stuff. This has actually become a little "in joke" between Maia and me. If we can't reach something, it's not unusual for us to say Conner's oh-so-famous line.

As a side note, I got Maia to play the original Starsiege: Tribes with me a while ago. In that game, there were numerous audio taunts and messages. Some of them we say to each other now include: "Move out of the way!" and "Hurry up with that station!" :)
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

Dear lord, I've been brainwashed into insanity. :o

I was, of course, perfectly normal before. ;)
"I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept."
--The Marquis de Carabas in Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Maiandra wrote:Dear lord, I've been brainwashed into insanity. :o

I was, of course, perfectly normal before. ;)
That's true! It's all my fault! :mrgreen:
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

A new line to add to your sig - "Corrupter of the innocent." :lol:
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Fender_178
Sierra Veteran

Post by Fender_178 »

Man thats funny to actually say what Connor would say in real life activities. Also that would be a perfect Pyramid Bonus Round Click clue (You guys know the gameshow with Dick Clark) Tis Beyond My reach ( Something that Connor of Daventry would say.)
FREEZE SCUM!!
Lynda
Sierra Fan Wanna Be

Post by Lynda »

My kids and I say stuff from games all the time. "Tis beyond my reach" is a staple. Also, from Elder Scrolls, "You n'wah!" and "WHY...WON'T...YOU...DIE??" (when trying to swat a fly, naturally.,,)
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant? I'm halfway through my fishburger and realize, Oh my God...I could be eating a slow learner..."
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Lynda wrote:My kids and I say stuff from games all the time. "Tis beyond my reach" is a staple. Also, from Elder Scrolls, "You n'wah!" and "WHY...WON'T...YOU...DIE??" (when trying to swat a fly, naturally.,,)
For some reason or another, my dad became obsessed with Diablo and Diablo II a number of years back. He even admitted to thinking about weapon and armor configurations when between seeing patients.

Since my brother and I have also played those two games, we sometimes quote lines from it. My dad usually joins in as well.

Some favorites include: "I can't use that... yet" and "That's quite a gift you've got there in that Horadric Cube!" :D

In Super Smash Bros Brawl, there's an unlockable character named Captain Falcon. Once he's unlocked, you can play as him. When performing one of his special moves, he says something that sounds like: "Taco p0rn!" Maia and I have no idea what he's really saying, but since we first heard it, it's become another inside-joke quote.

This quote isn't from a game, but years ago I have a Spider-Man action figure where his backpack had three little buttons. By pressing one of the buttons, you'd hear Spidey say something. Well, one of those sayings was "Spider sense tingling!" Unfortunately, the words were a bit muffled and indistinct, so it ended up sounding like, "Spider-Man's dingaling!" :lol:

Aside from game quotes, my family tends to speak in movie quotes. Usually these quotes are obscure bits and pieces from movies.

Return to “The King's Quest Series”