The Hobbit to begin filming in February

Talk about anything you want here
dotkel50
Village Elder

Re: The Hobbit to begin filming in February

Post by dotkel50 »

Peter Jackson lost a lot of weight, now if he'd just shave he'd look half-way decent.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Thanks for posting this. I liked how they used the opening line of the Hobbit while sweeping into Bilbo's hobbit hole for the end of the clip, suggesting how the opening of the movie might be.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote:Thanks for posting this. I liked how they used the opening line of the Hobbit while sweeping into Bilbo's hobbit hole for the end of the clip, suggesting how the opening of the movie might be.
Aye, that's what I got from it too...

I have to listen to it all at home, because at work too many people talking around me, too many calls coming in, interrupting it - but I did watch it all - just missed a ton of the audio.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Yay! :D Thanks for sharing, Tawm. Looks cool. I liked Peter's and Ian McKellen's conversation in Bilbo's kitchen. ;)

"And we'll put a little fan up your robe to give you a bit of air conditioning!"
"Promises, promises..."

:lol:
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Some more Hobbit casting news today. As we near the end of our first shooting block (we have a break in less than three weeks to get some editing and visual effects work done, plus prepare for very big scenes coming up), we are looking at characters featuring in sequences that take place a little later in the story.

We are thrilled to confirm that Stephen Fry will be playing The Master of Laketown. I've known Stephen for several years, and we're developing a Dambusters movie together. In addition to his writing skills, he's a terrific actor and will create a very memorable "Master" for us.

The Master's conniving civil servant, Alfrid will be played by Ryan Gage. Ryan is a great young actor who we originally cast in a small hobbit role, but we liked him so much, we promoted him to the much larger Alfrid part.

Last, and certainly not least, is Conan Stevens, who will be playing an Orc called Azog (orcs are never called Roger or Dennis for some strange reason). And yes that's his name - Conan! Isn't that cool? Azog is played by Conan! Here's a photo of Conan and I together ... I'm pretty tall ... probably at least 6'5" or 6'6" I would guess, so that gives you some clue how tall Conan is! You can learn all about him at www.conanstevens.com.

Got a busy day's shooting ahead, so I'm about to jump in the car - but look out for the beginning of the 20 questions answers very soon. Thanks for the questions - many are very insightful. I've been through all of them and have a list ready to go.

Cheers,
Peter J

AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

You know that Conan Stevens is currently playing Ser Gregor Clegane, The Mountain That Rides, on Game of Thrones, right? ;)
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm... I think I remember some of these characters, but I certainly don't remember Alfrid. Is that a new character, made up just for the movie? *shrugs*

The Master of the Lake-Town is certainly an established character in The Hobbit, a very nasty and greedy character indeed. Here is some information about him:

Master of Lake-Town
Moneybags

Given that he is nicknamed "Moneybags", is anyone else instantly reminded of Uncle Moneybags from Monopoly? :P

Stephen Fry is an interesting choice for this character. Most of Stephen's characters that I've seen have been rather jolly and charming, full of bonhomie and goodwill. It will be interesting to see him playing someone corrupt and greedy for a change. ;)

Finally, Conan's character - Azog... hmm. It's interesting that PJ wants to cast this character in The Hobbit at all, unless he wants to go into the history of Moria a little. Here's what the Encyclopedia of Arda has to say about Azog.

In other words, Azog lived at least 150 years before Thorin Oakenshield and the rest of the dwarves even came to the Shire. When Azog was slain, Thorin was a very young dwarf. Hmm.

I haven't heard of Ryan Gage or Conan Stevens before. It'd be interesting to see them in action. :)
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

http://www.slashfilm.com/benedict-cumbe ... he-hobbit/

In another bit of casting. The entire main cast of Sherlock has now been cast on The Hobbit. :lol: Benedict Cumberbatch is the latest in the long line of casting for this project. By the way, I still think the man has the greatest name for an actor ever.
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

I just finished re-reading "The Hobbit" and I can't find all this additional material Peter Jackson wants to throw into the movie that's supposedly been "in the book all along." There's mention of a Necromancer and Gandalf keeps running off, but I'm not seeing anything that he can make a whole other movie with - unless he intends on Part 1 being a prequel about the adventures of Old Took.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Datadog wrote:I just finished re-reading "The Hobbit" and I can't find all this additional material Peter Jackson wants to throw into the movie that's supposedly been "in the book all along." There's mention of a Necromancer and Gandalf keeps running off, but I'm not seeing anything that he can make a whole other movie with - unless he intends on Part 1 being a prequel about the adventures of Old Took.
Have you read all those LOST TALES and things like that, that overly detail THE HOBBIT and LORD OF THE RINGS?
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

Good lord, no! The actual books are long enough!
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

Pie maker!

How had I not realized before that Lee Pace has been cast as Thranduil

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/the-hob ... /lee-pace/

Pushing Daisies was the tv show of my heart and The Fall is one of my favourite movies ever.

I was looking at the cast list and damn, it includes so many actors I really like. I really hope the movie will live up to its potential and the hype.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm. Why are Elijah Wood and Orlando Bloom reprising their LOTR roles as Frodo and Legolas, I wonder? I don't remember either Frodo or Legolas in The Hobbit. *puzzled*

I'm also a bit confused about Cate Blanchett and Christopher Lee playing Galadriel and Saruman again, since I don't remember them in The Hobbit either. *shrug*

Don't get me wrong, they are all fine actors and I'm sure will add to the movie, but I'm just wondering what they're all doing here...? Does anyone know?

Thanks! :)
audiodane
A Member Of Cap'n Tawmis' Scurvy Crew

Post by audiodane »

I have the same questions. I however only know The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings books, I don't know all of the other middle-earth lore that's been created (by Tolkien and others) over the years.

..dane
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

I've read Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, Children of Hurin and three fairy tales, and I'm still confused. The Lord Of The Rings is mentioned as footnote in Silmarillion, the children of Hurin deals with the sad story of Turin and his sister, and I don't recall if the fairy tales had anything to do with Middle Earth at all.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”