American English vs Commonwealth English

Talk about anything you want here
Fender_178
Sierra Veteran

Re: American English vs Commonwealth English

Post by Fender_178 »

I think New Jersey is the Soda land as well. and I didnt know that western NY Used the word Pop.
FREEZE SCUM!!
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Taryn wrote:Actually, in western New York (near Buffalo) they do say "pop". The rest of the state is "soda" land. I've started to use "soft drink" online as a more neutral term as people seem to get divisive on the issue of what to call it.
I always thought Buffalo was in upstate New York.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Taryn
Sierra Fan

Post by Taryn »

AFAIK, people from Buffalo always call it "western" New York and not "upstate". As the Buffalo area is the only part of New York I lived in, I thought "upstate" was only the part of New York north of Albany or so. (Then I learned years later that it's pretty much everything in the state except NYC.)

(1) 1. Boomkat - Run Boy *10 weeks at #1*
(6) 2. Sugababes - No Can Do
(3) 3. Alex C. - Liebe Zu Dritt
(5) 4. Maksim - Luc^s^aja Hoc^'
(2) 5. Miro - Gubja Kontrol Kogato
Full chart
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Taryn wrote:AFAIK, people from Buffalo always call it "western" New York and not "upstate". As the Buffalo area is the only part of New York I lived in, I thought "upstate" was only the part of New York north of Albany or so. (Then I learned years later that it's pretty much everything in the state except NYC.)
Gotcha. My parents were from Long Island, so to them, maybe that definition fit.
Almirena
Supreme Songstress

Post by Almirena »

Another interesting thing... Most of the websites which offer e-commerce refer to a "shopping cart". This is, of course, blatantly American. A lot of Australians simply didn't realise the idea was that a "shopping cart" was just an online version of the thing on wheels into which they put the goods they want to purchase from a supermarket, or the thing they carry into which they put the (lighter and fewer) goods they want to purchase.

So... in Australia, most e-commerce sites have a shopping cart. They thought that was "the" way of referring to the online version. Those of us who purchase from online sites in the UK have realised the terrible error... because... it should be... SHOPPING BASKET or SHOPPING TROLLEY!

Yes, it should.

And so it shall be.
I purpled the martyred moon
Where twilight drank all light
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Almirena wrote:So... in Australia, most e-commerce sites have a shopping cart. They thought that was "the" way of referring to the online version. Those of us who purchase from online sites in the UK have realised the terrible error... because... it should be... SHOPPING BASKET or SHOPPING TROLLEY.
Hmmm... that's interesting. I've never heard either of those terms used in that manner. I could see the term "shopping basket" (it is, after all, a basket with which you shop) but a "shopping trolley?" That sounds like a trolley car -- such as the kind you might find in San Francisco -- that takes people to shopping areas.

As for the discussion about New York, there are words used that are native to states and even cities. For instance, freeway entrance ramps in Houston, TX (and some other parts of Texas) are referred to as "feeders." The idea behind that term is that the ramp "feeds you onto the freeway."

Another good example is that in the southern states, we wear "tennis shoes" but in the northern states, they wear "sneakers." Both are the same exact thing. I should mention that because my parents were from New York, my brother and use "sneakers."

In fact, the differences in terminology between the north and south have led to claims that the SAT is unfair. The reason for this is that the SAT was developed in the northern states (specifically the northeast) so certain words and phrases would be much more familiar to students living there than in the southern states.

While we're on the subject of "north vs south," I'd like to mention something that seems common to those outside the United States. I've known many in other countries to refer to Americans as "yanks" or "yankees." Within the U.S., that's a somewhat unfriendly name given to those living in the northern states (it comes from the divide during the American Civil War) and many people living in southern states would be deeply offended if someone called them a "yank" or a "yankee."
Taryn
Sierra Fan

Post by Taryn »

My mom would call a shopping basket/trolley/cart a "buggy", which drove me nuts.

(1) 1. Boomkat - Run Boy *10 weeks at #1*
(6) 2. Sugababes - No Can Do
(3) 3. Alex C. - Liebe Zu Dritt
(5) 4. Maksim - Luc^s^aja Hoc^'
(2) 5. Miro - Gubja Kontrol Kogato
Full chart
Almirena
Supreme Songstress

Post by Almirena »

DeadPoolX wrote:Hmmm... that's interesting. I've never heard either of those terms used in that manner. I could see the term "shopping basket" (it is, after all, a basket with which you shop) but a "shopping trolley?" That sounds like a trolley car -- such as the kind you might find in San Francisco -- that takes people to shopping areas.
In both the UK and Australia, a trolley is what Americans call a cart. When one goes to the supermarket, one puts the goods into a shopping trolley - the thing is on four wheels, made of metal. I think I'm right in saying it's the same thing as the US shopping cart?

Trolley is not used in the US sense here at all. What Americans call a trolley car is called a tram in Australia.
I purpled the martyred moon
Where twilight drank all light
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

Almirena wrote:Trolley is not used in the US sense here at all. What Americans call a trolley car is called a tram in Australia.

When I hear the word "tram" I think of those large cars that go up the side of a mountain suspended on a cable. Like the Jasper tramway. I can kind of see the conceptual connection here, between "tram" and "trolley" since they are both vehicles that are propelled with a cable.

As for the shopping cart/trolley, I think that since each word has multiple meanings, either can serve for the manner in which it's used. I probably never encountered the phrase "shopping trolley" when I lived in England because I always used a basket. ;)

As mentioned earlier, in Canada, we tend to use some Commonwealth English, but have been exposed to so much American English through media, that we are familiar and use that as well.
Jules
Delta Babe

Post by Jules »

DeadPoolX wrote:Another good example is that in the southern states, we wear "tennis shoes" but in the northern states, they wear "sneakers." Both are the same exact thing. I should mention that because my parents were from New York, my brother and use "sneakers."
They're sneakers. Period! Tennis shoes are shoes you wear for tennis. :D
DeadPoolX wrote:While we're on the subject of "north vs south," I'd like to mention something that seems common to those outside the United States. I've known many in other countries to refer to Americans as "yanks" or "yankees." Within the U.S., that's a somewhat unfriendly name given to those living in the northern states (it comes from the divide during the American Civil War) and many people living in southern states would be deeply offended if someone called them a "yank" or a "yankee."
This is another irk that belongs in the 'annoying' thread. Everybody here calls me a yank or yankee and they say it in a degrading/kidding tone. :roll:
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

DeadPoolX wrote:While we're on the subject of "north vs south," I'd like to mention something that seems common to those outside the United States. I've known many in other countries to refer to Americans as "yanks" or "yankees." Within the U.S., that's a somewhat unfriendly name given to those living in the northern states (it comes from the divide during the American Civil War) and many people living in southern states would be deeply offended if someone called them a "yank" or a "yankee."
It's only used as a demeaning term in the south. It is not a demeaning term in the north. Most northerners are hardly offended by it. The only thing that a Northerner might be annoyed at is the attitude with which it delivered.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Collector wrote:
It's only used as a demeaning term in the south. It is not a demeaning term in the north. Most northerners are hardly offended by it. The only thing that a Northerner might be annoyed at is the attitude with which it delivered.
If a word annoys or offends a group of people, it's probably better off that they aren't referred to as such.

I'm sure that the northern states aren't bothered by it. There's the New York Yankees, after all. :P
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

DeadPoolX wrote:I'm sure that the northern states aren't bothered by it. There's the New York Yankees, after all. :P
Exactly, LOL
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmmm. The passage of time means that words that were once insulting have lost their edge. Take "Tory" and "Whig", for instance - the two main British political parties. When these words were invented in the early days of "modern" parliament in England (late 17th century), they had insulting overtones; 'Whig' was short for Whiggamore, a Scottish Gaelic word for a cattle or horse drover. 'Tory', on the other hand, was derived from Tóraidhe, originally used to refer to an Irish outlaw. ;)

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”