Favorite "First" In A Series? (EGA Version)

Talk about anything you want here

Favorite "First" In A Series? (EGA Version)

King's Quest I
38%
Police Quest I
14%
Leisure Suit Larry I
19%
Space Quest I
29%

Total votes: 21

jujigatame
Sierra Lover

Re: Favorite "First" In A Series? (EGA Version)

Post by jujigatame »

The VGA graphics still work for me as well. Even as a kid in the early 90s, I was alright with the later EGA games like SQ3 and PQ2. It was just always tough for me to stomach the early EGA graphics of SQ1 or PQ1 when I had the remakes handy.
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

KQ1....coz it's the first of the first.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Go King's Quest! Woo-hoo!

Poor Sonny Bonds...
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
QuestCollector
Sierra Veteran

Post by QuestCollector »

Going with Space Quest 1. SQ1 is my favorite start to a series. Plus it came out very close to when I was born.

PQ1 would be my second choice though. Loved the game but didn't play it until I was 17 or so.
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

AndreaDraco wrote:Go King's Quest! Woo-hoo!

Poor Sonny Bonds...
For what's it worth, I'd pick PQ2 against the other three sequels.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Datadog wrote:
AndreaDraco wrote:Go King's Quest! Woo-hoo!

Poor Sonny Bonds...
For what's it worth, I'd pick PQ2 against the other three sequels.
Me too. :)
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Maxor127
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Maxor127 »

Police Quest. It was just something new and different. I liked that it was violent and mature. I liked that I could drive around. The game felt more detailed. Instead of giant empty forests or a barren desert planet, it had rooms filled with objects. And I liked playing something modern. I still haven't played Leisure Suit Larry.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

King's Quest I - 7 Votes = 41%
Police Quest I - 2 Votes = 12%
Leisure Suit Larry I - 3 Votes = 18%
Space Quest I - 5 Votes = 29%

I encourage new folks who come across it to still vote, anyway! Join us for Round II!
jujigatame
Sierra Lover

Post by jujigatame »

Maxor127 wrote:Police Quest. It was just something new and different. I liked that it was violent and mature. I liked that I could drive around. The game felt more detailed. Instead of giant empty forests or a barren desert planet, it had rooms filled with objects. And I liked playing something modern. I still haven't played Leisure Suit Larry.
20 years ago (as a 10 year old) I agreed with you fully, but as I've gotten older and watched more TV and movies, going back to PQ makes it seem a lot less gritty and a lot more silly and downright ridiculous in spots.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

jujigatame wrote:
Maxor127 wrote:Police Quest. It was just something new and different. I liked that it was violent and mature. I liked that I could drive around. The game felt more detailed. Instead of giant empty forests or a barren desert planet, it had rooms filled with objects. And I liked playing something modern. I still haven't played Leisure Suit Larry.
20 years ago (as a 10 year old) I agreed with you fully, but as I've gotten older and watched more TV and movies, going back to PQ makes it seem a lot less gritty and a lot more silly and downright ridiculous in spots.
I think he meant that compared to Sierra's other Adventures, the PQ series was a lot more realistic. It was never designed as a lifelike simulation of police life and even if that was the intention, it wouldn't have worked out well given the limited technology at the time.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
jujigatame
Sierra Lover

Post by jujigatame »

Not sure about that, I remember Sierra touting the game's realism, even going so far as to say it was (or could be) used as a training tool for recruits.
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Space Quest I.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

jujigatame wrote:
Look at anything 20 years ago... I bet it's silly! He-Man was AWESOME when I was a kid. Pretty silly. Transformers cartoon, was AWESOME - still is, but it's pretty silly (dialogue, situations, etc). Even horror movies, like Friday the 13th, Aminityville, etc - are all VERY silly - but as a kid, they freaked me out. :lol:
jujigatame
Sierra Lover

Post by jujigatame »

You're absolutely right, but I think the difference in PQ is that the series clearly takes itself seriously, so when things come off as nonsensical or goofy, it's more glaring than when something in one of the other Sierra series comes off that way.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Heh. I voted for Larry, but only because Larry was the first Sierra adventure game I'd played. (And yes, I played it back in the EGA days! In fact, I still remember the *CGA* days and the monochrome days! Woohoo! Go me!) :P

I played SQ1 shortly after I finished LSL1, and died many many times in the attempt. Poor Roger. :( PQ1 was next in line.

I think the first time I played KQ1, I dumped Graham in the moat, just to see what would happen. :twisted:

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”