Things That Annoy You!

Talk about anything you want here
Jules
Delta Babe

Re: Things That Annoy You!

Post by Jules »

Datadog wrote:Ha! But still, I wonder why they always call during supper. Don't they eat too?

I get annoyed by on-line debates where people live in the black and white of everything. Religion's evil, science is evil, democrats are evil, republicans are evil, PCs are evil, Macs are evil, spaghetti's evil, milk is evil, etc. It's like watching two people with their heads in boxes yelling "RESPECT ME" at each other.

Party 1: "This is my opinion."
Party 2: "Your opinion is not the same as my opinion. Therefore, you are an idiot."
Party 1: "Everyone knows my opinion is the right one. Kneel before me."
Party 2: "No, anybody with a brain knows my opinion is the right one."
Party 1: "Here are scientific facts to back up my opinion."
Party 2: "Here are better scientific facts to back up MY opinion."
Party 1: "Your scientific facts are stupid because they support the wrong opinion."
Party 2: "Your scientific facts are wrong because they're hot-linked from a website I don't like."
Guy in the Middle: "Hey, guys - just thought I'd let you know that the truth is right over here by the window."
Party 1: "My opinion is already the truth. I don't need to come over and look."
Party 2: "Me neither."
YES! :lol:

Openmindedness can be added to the list.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Jules wrote: Oh, to add on to that, it irks me when the other person on the other line can hardly speak English. I have to ask the poor thing seventy times to repeat the question.
I understand completely.

I know some people don't speak English, but when I've pressed the "1" in order to use English, I expect to speak with someone who at least knows a basic level of English. It's become really bad since the outsourcing to India.

On the topic of phone calls and such... I utterly hate automated menus. I want to talk to a real person, dammit!

Two stories I have of horrible automated menus:

1. I was trying to get in contact with an agent at United Airlines and after pressing all the right buttons, it promptly disconnected me. I tried again and it did the same thing.

2. I was getting in-touch with the immigration section of the Canadian government. At one point, the automated voice says, "If you'd like to use our automated service, please press 1." I waited a moment for further options since I wanted to speak to a live person. The automated voice then says, "You did not choose a recognized option. Please press a number."

Wow That's great. So I get to "choose" if I want to use their automated service, but in reality, that "choice" is use it or hang up. Nice. :roll:

Perhaps I should mention one time where an automated menu/voice was extremely amusing. Maia and I have contacted a company known as Co-op Taxi before and the woman who did the voice for the automated menu speaks as if she's experiencing an orgasm. I'm not kidding. The way she reads back your number is hilarious.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Almirena
Supreme Songstress

Post by Almirena »

5 - oh God - 5 - oh God - oh God, yes - 4 - oh, right there, yes - 1 - oh GOD - 4 - oh God oh God oh God - 1 - aaaahhhhh!! Oh God...

I can only imagine. <wicked grin>
I purpled the martyred moon
Where twilight drank all light
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Telemarkers are fun to mess with. I can do... for lack of a better word, a demonic voice... with a lot of ease. Alm has heard it for the GK Radio Play. So when people call and say, "May I speak with the owner of the house?" I always ask whose calling - and once I know it's a telemarketer, I will say that I am the owner of the house. And during the process of the convo, I will start hissing into the phone and making odd sounds, until I "unleash the demon" and scream into the phone stuff like, "I will feast off the marrow and still beating heart of your children!"

They eventually hang up shortly after those outbursts...
Almirena
Supreme Songstress

Post by Almirena »

Tawmis, I have GOT to use "Marrow-Feaster" as your title on the GK forum... It's so apropos! But "Post Monkey" is also such a good title... What a dilemma.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

:lol:

I think it may scare people on the GK forum! ;)
Taryn
Sierra Fan

Post by Taryn »

Boards that only put a small number of posts on each page and don't have a setting to change it. I don't like switching pages a lot, so when I can I'll set it to 50, or whatever the maximum is if it can't go up to 50.

(1) 1. Boomkat - Run Boy *10 weeks at #1*
(6) 2. Sugababes - No Can Do
(3) 3. Alex C. - Liebe Zu Dritt
(5) 4. Maksim - Luc^s^aja Hoc^'
(2) 5. Miro - Gubja Kontrol Kogato
Full chart
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

You talking about this one? :) We can look into it if you are...
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Datadog wrote:Ha! But still, I wonder why they always call during supper. Don't they eat too?

I get annoyed by on-line debates where people live in the black and white of everything. Religion's evil, science is evil, democrats are evil, republicans are evil, PCs are evil, Macs are evil, spaghetti's evil, milk is evil, etc. It's like watching two people with their heads in boxes yelling "RESPECT ME" at each other.

Party 1: "This is my opinion."
Party 2: "Your opinion is not the same as my opinion. Therefore, you are an idiot."
Party 1: "Everyone knows my opinion is the right one. Kneel before me."
Party 2: "No, anybody with a brain knows my opinion is the right one."
Party 1: "Here are scientific facts to back up my opinion."
Party 2: "Here are better scientific facts to back up MY opinion."
Party 1: "Your scientific facts are stupid because they support the wrong opinion."
Party 2: "Your scientific facts are wrong because they're hot-linked from a website I don't like."
Guy in the Middle: "Hey, guys - just thought I'd let you know that the truth is right over here by the window."
Party 1: "My opinion is already the truth. I don't need to come over and look."
Party 2: "Me neither."
:lol I love it! Exactly right! *grin*

DPX, I agree completely with automated menus. The way I get past them is, when I first call, to write down the option I need. Then if I need to call again, I don't have to listen to all the options. The thing I hate about them most, though, is when I have to listen to some doo-dah about "For purposes of security or whatever, we need to record your call". I know this already - can we skip ahead and get to the options? Bleh.

I also don't particularly like it when I feel like eating out, and the person in front of me in the queue takes forever to decide on what they want to have. What did he expect to find on the menu? Spiced rhinoceros? Pickled pterodactyl?
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

I suppose the reason automated menus tell you that you'll be recorded is for legal reasons. If they failed to do so and someone didn't know they were getting recorded, a lawsuit could occur. It seems odd that most people wouldn't already know about being recorded, considering it's standard practice.

The "eating out" part annoys me too, especially at something like a buffet. People will stand there debating the merits of cornbread versus blueberry muffins. You know what you like, so hurry it up! It's not like the fate of the free world hinders on your choice.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Taryn
Sierra Fan

Post by Taryn »

Tawmis wrote:You talking about this one? :) We can look into it if you are...
Yeah, actually I was...

(1) 1. Boomkat - Run Boy *10 weeks at #1*
(6) 2. Sugababes - No Can Do
(3) 3. Alex C. - Liebe Zu Dritt
(5) 4. Maksim - Luc^s^aja Hoc^'
(2) 5. Miro - Gubja Kontrol Kogato
Full chart
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Hrm. Well I set it to 50 topics per forum... but you're right - nowhere is it there to customize from the profile to change it to whatever number is desirabe... I am baffled...
Almirena
Supreme Songstress

Post by Almirena »

I will take a look at it, but I'm probably going to be just as baffled as you, Tawmis.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

I had already looked, but saw no option that would allow it to be user set, only globally. I was a little concerned about set it up, just in case it was a problem for anyone with a slower connection. Perhaps set it up and if anyone complains, set it back down a bit. I wonder if there is a mod that will allow it to be a user setting.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

Oh there is no end to the list of things that annoy me. But on the small scale a short selection inevitably includes:

- people who are too late for appointments and don't tell the person they're meeting why or have a good excuse. This is the age of the mobile after all.
- I can't drive, thus I am more than familiar with public transport. I still say I should be allowed a long pointy stick to prod people with if they stand talking in doorways, entrance points and most annoyingly at all mill around like dumb cows in the entrance door of the the train bus whatever pushing you back in when you're trying to get out.
- Uni professors who are too lazy to write reading lists which actually contain books a student CAN GET. No seriously, most of the reading on my list the dude couldn't actually find himself. ARGH

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”