Break The Spine.

Talk about anything you want here
BBP
Village Elder

Re: Break The Spine.

Post by BBP »

Just finished Verne's Around The World In 80 Days and am moving on to the adventures of Nils Holgersson.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

not so much breaking the spine as pushing play, I just finished the audiobook of I Shall Wear Midnight, the latest Tiffany Aching novel by Terry Pratchett. In short, the story is grand and the reading by Stephen Briggs is fantastic. The book is marketed as a YA book but I enjoyed it very much and honestly the handling of some very dark themes is more deft and honest than in many novels aimed at adults.
Jules
Delta Babe

Post by Jules »

Just finished Water For Elephants. It was just OK. Lots of great imagery in my head, cute story but it didn't pull me in as much as I had expected. The story didn't catch my interest until 3/4 of the way through.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

The 7th Guest novel by Matthew J. Costello and Craig Shaw Gardner. Yes, the book after the game.
...I've read worse, but that was mostly fanfic.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Currently Reading: George R. R. Martin's A Dance with Dragons, Rex Stout's Fer-de-lance.

Next up: The Collected Supernatural & Weird Fiction of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 3 voll.

I ordered them a week ago and they arrived today. I can't wait to start reading them! :)
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I've finished my Minotaur trilogy and began reading one of the few books by Weis & Hickman I have never read (but owned book 1 and 3 forever)...

Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

I keep meaning to post in this thread, since I do read a lot. Having recently unpacked a box of books that my parents had at their place for some time, I found some of my favourite children's books that I kept.

I am now re-reading The Secret World of Og by Pierre Berton. :D

It's just as entertaining now as it was when I was much younger. It's actually written in a style that I think both older children and adults can enjoy. I'm going to lend it to my niece, when I'm finished. She's just about the age I was when I first read it.
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

Here's a few i've read in the past week or so...
The Moonlight Mile by Dennis Lehane
MoonlightMileDennisLehane11240_f.jpg
The Spy by Clive Cussler
TheSpyCliveCussler11306_f.jpg
TheSpyCliveCussler11306_f.jpg (38.36 KiB) Viewed 3649 times
Roast Mortem by Cleo Coyle
Roast Mortem - Cleo Coyle10982f.jpg
I highly recommend them all.
Maxor127
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Maxor127 »

Tawmis wrote:Oh! Just remembered - having finished the 2nd Dragonships book - I picked up my copy of Stolen Throne. Got about 50 pages in and put it down. Perhaps because the Dragonships books are so utterly fantastic - but I found Stolen Throne (Dragon Age) very slow... and not as descriptive... Like if a book has no pulled me in by 50 pages, something's wrong... but I don't understand how the same person can be responsible for a captivating video game.

So right now, I am reading Richard A. Knaak's book Dragonlance: Night of Blood, which deals with one of my favorite mythological creatures - Minotaurs. (The plus side, the trilogy is already done with Tide of Blood and Empire of Blood).

I first got to read Richard A. Knaak when he wrote Legend of Huma, then wrote the amazing Kaz the Minotaur.

He's one of the few people who I think, other than Weis & Hickman, can do Dragonlance justice. So I am very eager to dive into this new trilogy of his.
I think college killed my love of reading. I used to read Dragonlance, but after Dragons of Summer Flame, the series seemed forever changed, and I just couldn't get into the new age stuff. And I'm pretty much clueless about what's going on now. The same with Forgotten Realms.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Maxor127 wrote:
Tawmis wrote:Oh! Just remembered - having finished the 2nd Dragonships book - I picked up my copy of Stolen Throne. Got about 50 pages in and put it down. Perhaps because the Dragonships books are so utterly fantastic - but I found Stolen Throne (Dragon Age) very slow... and not as descriptive... Like if a book has no pulled me in by 50 pages, something's wrong... but I don't understand how the same person can be responsible for a captivating video game.

So right now, I am reading Richard A. Knaak's book Dragonlance: Night of Blood, which deals with one of my favorite mythological creatures - Minotaurs. (The plus side, the trilogy is already done with Tide of Blood and Empire of Blood).

I first got to read Richard A. Knaak when he wrote Legend of Huma, then wrote the amazing Kaz the Minotaur.

He's one of the few people who I think, other than Weis & Hickman, can do Dragonlance justice. So I am very eager to dive into this new trilogy of his.
I think college killed my love of reading. I used to read Dragonlance, but after Dragons of Summer Flame, the series seemed forever changed, and I just couldn't get into the new age stuff. And I'm pretty much clueless about what's going on now. The same with Forgotten Realms.
Do not read any of the "Fifth Age" (or whatever it was called) stuff. Stay far, far, far, far away from it.

But the stuff mentioned above is beyond awesome.

If you have read Legend of Huma - and enjoyed it - you will enjoy the books I linked. Same writer. Probably only person I truly trust to write Dragonlance, other than the original authors (Weis & Hickman).
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Found my Gilgamesh booklet back (it's under 70 pages including notes, it tends to disappear) and finished it. I intend to make a Gilgamesh graphic novel.
Skip to new scripts
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

I've almost finished Sir Arthur's The Land of Mist. It's a nice book, even if the plot is very loose and many scenes seem to be justified only by the author's interest in Spiritualism. Still a very interesting read.
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

Ee! the latest Dresden Files has finally arrived. *cracks open a book for the first time in ages. *
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Alchemy - the secret art, by Stanislas De Rola.
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I don't know how I didn't finish this trilogy when I originally got it... it's very different... but very awesome.

Andrea... I think you'd really enjoy it... I mean, it's REALLY well written.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”