Re: Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers - A SHP Playthrough

Voodoo got the best of you? Need a hint? Want to talk about Gabriel Knight? This is the place to do it!
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

I was away all of last week and I haven't had a chance to play through Chapter 2 yet. I'm hoping to do it today or tomorrow. By the end of the weekend for sure.
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

I was under the impression that we'd just post at the same time every week regardless of who was finished. I've got my Day 3 notes ready to go and I even played through parts of Day 4 earlier. I'm just waiting for the "Day 3" banner to go up.

Personally, I don't have a problem with people posting about their past-day experiences as we move along. If someone's on Day 2, they can still post about it on Day 3.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Usually, I prefer waiting for every people to catch up, so we can all talk about what's going on without too many spoilers.

Of course, it's perfectly fine to go ahead and play the game :)
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
QuestCollector
Sierra Veteran

Post by QuestCollector »

I started day 2 but I probably won't be finished with it until Saturday. If you all feel like holding out that long, I'll catch up by then.
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

Just finished Day 2. Was wondering when Mosely was going to arrest Gabe for impersonating him. Cracked up when Gabe said sh*t outside the Gedde mansion. I don't know why that makes me laugh. And Moonbeam strikes me as more of a hippie than a voodoo priestess.
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

I'm a little unclear on exactly what we're supposed to be marking as spoilers and what not. If this thread is meant to discuss given chapters in sequence, then it would make sense to me that we don't need to use spoiler tags when discussing the current chapter only. Hopefully, that's correct, since the only spoiler tags I used are relating to further in the game.

I thought Magentia Moonbeam seemed a bit flaky as well, but in hindsight, maybe that's why Dr. John sent Gabe to her. She would definitely dispel any serious links between Voodoo and the murders and make people take it less seriously.

I thought it was hilarious when she said "You have to be careful handling snakes, they're more delicate than they look," and the way Gabe responded, "I bet". Clearly he was interpreting that a little differently than she intended. :D

One thing that was rather odd when I tried to click "exit" to leave her house, it responded "Gabriel figures many men have picked up things in Magentia Moonbeam's parlour, but he'd rather not." :o So I had to actually use the walk icon to exit. :lol:

When talking to Dr. John, he referred to New Orleans voodoo vs. other voodoo, but didn't say what the difference was! I wanted to know that.

The strange thing about Dr. John is that the game describes him as having a pleasant manner, but I didn't find his manner very pleasant during the conversation.

Both he and Magentia seemed to get quickly defensive about the Voodoo Murders. It's not like Gabriel was accusing them of anything, he just wanted some clarification. That alone was suspicious. Not to mention the way Magentia obviously was lying when she said that she didn't know what "cabrit sans cor'" means.

The best thing I liked about Mosely, was that it was clear he and Gabe had known each other for a long time. A lot of games don't bother giving the main character any long-time friends or family, but Gabe had both. I liked the little comments that alluded to their long friendship, when you're inspecting Mosely's office.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Maiandra wrote:I'm a little unclear on exactly what we're supposed to be marking as spoilers and what not. If this thread is meant to discuss given chapters in sequence, then it would make sense to me that we don't need to use spoiler tags when discussing the current chapter only. Hopefully, that's correct, since the only spoiler tags I used are relating to further in the game.
That's correct. Only comments related to the following Days should go under Spoiler Tags.
Maiandra wrote:When talking to Dr. John, he referred to New Orleans voodoo vs. other voodoo, but didn't say what the difference was! I wanted to know that.
Well, the differences between the two are only formal and especially pertain magical rituals. Haitian Voodoo is a full-fledged religion, whereas Louisiana Voodoo of patchwork of religious and magical practices, more akin to the folk magic known as Hoodoo.
Maiandra wrote:The best thing I liked about Mosely, was that it was clear he and Gabe had known each other for a long time. A lot of games don't bother giving the main character any long-time friends or family, but Gabe had both. I liked the little comments that alluded to their long friendship, when you're inspecting Mosely's office.
Those little details are wonderful. I especially like the bit where Gabriel remember how they used to play "Monkey in the middle" with their teacher :D
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

I thought Magentia Moonbeam seemed a bit flaky as well, but in hindsight, maybe that's why Dr. John sent Gabe to her. She would definitely dispel any serious links between Voodoo and the murders and make people take it less seriously.
That's the problem. The script (the subtitle data also has hints on how to act, such as pronounciation clues, "laying it on thick" and "watch British on first sentence") says that Magentia is lying about not knowing what cabrit sans cor means, but if she's in on it, why would she give away the secret Voodoo code?
I thought it was hilarious when she said "You have to be careful handling snakes, they're more delicate than they look," and the way Gabe responded, "I bet". Clearly he was interpreting that a little differently than she intended. :D
:lol: I never thought of that! Even though the same... eh... comparison is made with the fortune teller later on when you tell her she has a nice snake.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

I think Magentia is only lying about it because it's such a taboo subject. Here she is, enjoying her snake and comfy chair, and then Gabriel Knight walks in asking about human sacrifice. It's only natural that she pretends not to know - as to not bring bad mojo down on her otherwise pleasant day.
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

I'm sort of on Day 8 now...

It's been three weeks since we started Day 2. Is anybody else still playing this game?
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

Me...i'm waiting for the word to move on to day 3. Although my interest is waning cause it's taking so long.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

I was waiting on QuestCollector, but since the chapter has run long enough, I'd say it's time to start playing again. Tell you what, why don't we play two chapters next, to make up for the lost time?

Later, I will post my notes on the chapters!

This time, though, I think it's best to set a time-frame. These chapters will be up for five days and then we will proceed to Chapter 5 at once! What do you say?
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

I was going to suggest a week....starting chapter 5 next Sunday night.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

I like the suggestion! That's it then! We all have a week! :D
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

Yeah, a week is better, since I'm more likely to play this on the weekend than on a weeknight, when I'm tired. Saturday morning seems to be a good time for me to sit down and play adventure games. Chapters 3 and 4 it is.

Return to “The Gabriel Knight Series”