Reliable anti-virus?

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Reliable anti-virus?

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I'm urgently trying to find a reliable anti-virus system. I'm currently using AVG 8, but it's been a real pain for the past year or so - and now it's trying to refer to the wrong online update control file (avginfoavi.ctf instead of avginfowin.ctf), so I think I've had enough. (I'm using Win2K and a dialup connection, btw).

Does anyone know of a good, free anti-virus system I could use instead? I've tried Symantec (which was, needless to say, a pain); I've also tried NOD32, which is good, but which only offers a 60-day trial version. At the moment I'm tossing up between Avira (which looks good, but which received conflicting antivirus-test reports, which is confusing) and Avast! (which also looks good, but which needs to be re-registered every year... and I'm not that eager to do that).

The other option I have is to uninstall and reinstall AVG, followed by re-downloading the updates. However, because of my dialup connection, that sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

Any ideas? *worried*
the_doctor
Sierra Lover

Re: Reliable anti-virus?

Post by the_doctor »

ive been using avast for about 16 months now. just went through re-registration, took just a couple minutes to get the new code in email and pop it in the client. easy. certainly worth the time for the year worth of coverage on my windows boxes.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

What does the registration involve for avast? *curious* I haven't had to register an anti-virus program - or, for that matter, an anti-spam program - but most programs have different registration systems, if at all. Some just require a name, others have asked me for my address and phone number too, whereas others still asked me for even more details - which is what I find rather annoying. *grimace*
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

A good free anti-virus is made by AVG. One Maia uses is called e-scan and there is a "free" version of it, but it's extremely limited. The only way to get full functionality is to pay for it.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
the_doctor
Sierra Lover

Post by the_doctor »

Rath Darkblade wrote:What does the registration involve for avast? *curious* I haven't had to register an anti-virus program - or, for that matter, an anti-spam program - but most programs have different registration systems, if at all. Some just require a name, others have asked me for my address and phone number too, whereas others still asked me for even more details - which is what I find rather annoying. *grimace*

When you register for Avast, you sign up on their web site for an account (you do this anyway when you download it). They email you the code good for 1 year and you paste it into the box in the program. When it expires you go back to their site and click the link for a new code. Repeat the copy-paste. Easy, quick.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Sounds good. :-) I figured that the easiest way for me out of my dilemma is to re-download AVG and do an uninstall-and-clean-reinstall. Worked like a charm! *grin* But if it gives me any further problems, I'll probably give Avast a try. Thanks! :-)

Return to “Non-Sierra Games & Help”