TES 5: Skyrim

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

TES 5: Skyrim

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Has anyone else been playing this? What do you all think so far? 8-)

It looks pretty damn amazing to me. Obviously there was a bit of a sharp learning curve to start with, but by now I think I've picked up the UI and things are going pretty well. I've also killed my first dragon. :D

There are a couple of things I'm not too sure about:

1) How can I turn on the subtitles?
2) How does lock-picking work, again? It looks like pure luck to me - I turn the lock one way and the lock pick the other, and generally that works, but sometimes it doesn't. :( Any ideas?

Thanks for your help! :)
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Re: TES 5: Skyrim

Post by AndreaDraco »

I have pre-ordered it but, because of the week-end, it will probably arrive - in two copies, one for me and one for my boyfriend - tomorrow.

As you know, I'm a huge fan of The Elder Scrolls (I played all the games, even Arena) and I can't wait to start playing it!
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote: 1) How can I turn on the subtitles?
Go to Settings, Gameplay, scroll down, there should be options named "dialogue subtitles" and "general subtitles." Check both options.

I'm not sure if that works since I don't own Skyrim, but I found that info out after taking five seconds to do a Google search.
Rath Darkblade wrote:2) How does lock-picking work, again? It looks like pure luck to me - I turn the lock one way and the lock pick the other, and generally that works, but sometimes it doesn't. :( Any ideas?
If Skyrim is like the previous TES games, then your abilities are numerically-based and depend on use to grow. Chances are your success rate is based on these numbers.

I'd recommend you check the game manual and the wiki, just to be sure.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Maxor127
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Maxor127 »

I'm just not interested in playing this. I'm still burned out from Fallout 3 and Oblivion. I even skipped New Vegas. I'll get it when the inevitable Game of the Year edition comes out. By then, lots of mods will be out and most bugs will be fixed, and maybe I'll be in the mood to dedicate 100+ hours of my time on this game.
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

I never got into Oblivion, so Skyrim is another game that everybody's going to be talking about that I'm just going to sit back and nod my head about. It's hard to get into these massive games that I need hundreds of hours to play, when even most shorter games tend to burn me out after the 20 hour mark.
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I love the game so far. Hate the interface, though. Much too console oriented. Can't wait for the inevitable mod that will switch it back to Oblivion style. Or even Morrowind style. Also, the maps is freaking useless. Just a bunch of lumpy polygons with no visible roads or distinction of villages beyond sprite icons. I'd prefer the classic scroll map.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Since I will probably receive the game, both copies, tomorrow, could you guys comment on the new Skill system? Does it work smoothly or is it too dumbed-down? And how about the world? Is it vivid and realistic like the previous one?
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

The new skill system depends on how you'd view it I suppose. To some who prefer the old system it could be seen as dumbed down. I believe in actual reality it's actually more challenging. Instead of picking the skills you want to advance, you just have to do them. This means to have to be diligent in which skills you want to practice if you want to succeed in them. Nothing is held back from you, though. It all depends on what you use the most. Once you level up a skill you get to choose a perk from a specific skill to permanently add to your character. I like it personally.

Also, the graphics are as gorgeous as ever.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

The graphics may be as gorgeous as ever, but the map system is difficult to use (at least, much more so than Oblivion). It takes a little time to get used to it, but even so, it doesn't mark the roads or anything. If you're looking to travel from place to another, it's not difficult to know which way to go - it's just that you cannot see the roads on the map. In my opinion, that sucks, and the Oblivion map is better. :(

Another thing I noticed - when you bring up the inventory and change something (e.g. new armour, new weapon etc.), there's no little picture of your character with that new armour/weapon, like there was in Oblivion. I miss that. It gave you an instant connection to your character.

Anyway, in further developments... my character was set upon by one of the Dark Brotherhood assassins and nearly killed. I've heard of the Dark Brotherhood before, of course, but any idea what this is supposed to mean? ;)
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the new map.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

It's here! It's here! It's here!

Installing right now. I - CAN'T - WAIT!
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

I've just completed the first mission and I've reached Riverwood. Some initial thoughts:

- As expected, the graphics are stunning.
- I find the new right hand/left hand system slightly confusing.
- The opening sequence was a great way to introduce the player to the game-world. Impressive.
- I don't like the new, streamlined interface. I hope a mod reverts it back to Oblivion's.
- I quickly created a character, an High Elf, just to get a feel of the tutorial, but I will probably make another character to play through the game. Based on the opening quest alone, I think an Imperial could be a solid choice, story-wise, or even a Nord. What race are you guys playing? Have you noticed any difference based on the race you chose?
- As usual, sneaking is always the weakest part of the gameplay. At least for me.
- You guys are totally right. The map is pretty useless. Why aren't the roads visible? That's just stupid.
- I haven't been able, of course, to test the new progression system, but right now I miss choosing a Class and a Birthsign.

And that's it for now. I'm definitely eager to play more :)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Sounds like you guys might want this map mod from Skyrim Nexus. From the looks of things, there have been some very busy people in the modding community.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
QuestCollector
Sierra Veteran

Post by QuestCollector »

I got the game in the mail on Friday and put a few hours into it already. I chose a wood elf and plan on making him an archer/thief. It may be an experience like no other or really frustrating as creatures level up with me. I had to choose something else other than the run-and-bash type character that I had in Morrowind and Oblivion.

The game itself has been great so far. Obviously the graphics aren't going to be perfect, but the world in whole is amazing. I love the snowy climate and I've barely made it anywhere beyond the borders of Whiterun.

I have run into two glitches though. The first was an arrow that just wouldn't disappear off my body. I tried getting shot and reloading, neither worked. So I opened up the console and typed in 'sexchange' and retyped it and that worked. The other glitch was my archery skill. I had leveled it to 42 and it dropped to 25 and was labeled in bright red. I checked my character for a disability and couldn't find anything. I went to a shrine and that didn't work. After I leveled the skill again it went back to normal. I have no clue what caused this.

I have to agree with everyone on the map too. I never check it much and it really isn't a help. I do, however, like that the map will let you know if a dungeon is cleared or not.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Five hours into it and almost three of them spent trying to make a satisfying character. In the end, I went with a Breton - which is my favorite race in the TES universe - but with a very different build than my Oblivion's character, who was a pure mage. This time, I'm going for a mage-thief thing and see how that works out.

Return to “Non-Sierra Games & Help”