No Longer Airing.

Talk about anything you want here
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

No Longer Airing.

Post by Tawmis »

So we have a thread going on about Current TV Shows we enjoy - but what about some of the classics that are no longer airing? This includes regular shows, cartoons, the works!

Lets hear about some shows you loved that no longer air in any form (that you know of - and even better, if someone tells you the show is airing somewhere that you may be able to see it again)! :)
misslilo
Caffeine Queen

Re: No Longer Airing.

Post by misslilo »

Hmm, I loved the Stargate series and MacGyver.
They are not airing here anymore, but that's not to say they wont in the future as re-re-re-reruns, lol.
"You cannot escape your past, but you can make your future" - Diana Melkumova
Twitter/Steam/Twitch: @wowdane
Andy Roark
Sierra Lover

Post by Andy Roark »

I miss me some X-Files
the_doctor
Sierra Lover

Post by the_doctor »

Stargate SG1 might still be in reruns on Scifi.
Stargate Atlantis is in its final set of episodes too
Stargate Universe is supposed to start in either 2009 or 2010, forget which.
MacGyver - you'd probably need to resort to the DVD sets for that.

I wished Journeyman (was on NBC) was still running. Right when it started getting to the point of explaining the background stuff, they killed it (stupid writer's strike). Also wish Enterprise was able to finish out its full run too. They killed it off before the really good story could have started (the Terran-Romulan wars).
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

I've always liked the Justice League Unlimited animated series. My favorite is Batman and I remember seeing the original Batman: The Animated Series back in the early 1990s. I thought the JLU show was great because it not only had action and some interesting stories, but a lot of the commentary would go right above a kid's understanding. It was a cartoon designed for those who're a bit older.

As for actual TV shows, I can't remember one specifically. I rarely watch regular TV. I can't stand commercials. So most of what I watch is on the movie channels. Heroes is the first TV show I've watched in years.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

"Justice League Unlimited" was great. I started watching the sixth and seventh season reruns and then got bummed out when they stopped airing. I wanted more after watching Superman and Captain Marvel go head-to-head. Best fight ever. If only the movies put that much enthusiasm into their action sequences.

I also miss having Buffy and Angel reruns around. I've seen them so many times and they used to make great background noise whenever I was working.
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

Oh so many shows, firefly for one and like the_doctor I miss Journeyman. Kevin McKidd is awesome, I wish he'd get a great role again.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Datadog wrote:"Justice League Unlimited" was great. I started watching the sixth and seventh season reruns and then got bummed out when they stopped airing. I wanted more after watching Superman and Captain Marvel go head-to-head. Best fight ever. If only the movies put that much enthusiasm into their action sequences.

I also miss having Buffy and Angel reruns around. I've seen them so many times and they used to make great background noise whenever I was working.
That fight was awesome. Marvel was actually able to hurt Superman with magical lightning. Otherwise, Supes pretty much had him beat.

One of my favorite scenes is in the last episode where Superman and Darkseid are facing off (make sure to watch the HIGH-QUALITY version). After getting knocked around a bunch, Supes finally gets so pissed off that he punches Darkseid right through a series of skyscrapers and before he lands, Supes knocks him into the ground, creating a huge explosion.

One thing that's always interested me is that hese sorts of action scenes (in cartoons and movies) is the unbelievable amount of damage done to the city and probably civilians, as well. The hero is supposed to be protecting the people, right? How is he doing that by causing a wave of destruction in his quest to stop the bad guy?
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

I still miss, and forever will, the most awesome show ever... Twin Peaks

And, just for the sake of nostalgia, the outstanding, heart-breaking Intro.
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Datadog wrote:I wanted more after watching Superman and Captain Marvel go head-to-head. Best fight ever. If only the movies put that much enthusiasm into their action sequences.
Okay, that's a fun fight scene - but they destroy about 10 buildings - by bringing them down to the ground. I mean DOWN. TO. THE. GROUND. Now it might be because of the whole 9/11 thing - but you'd think two SUPER HEROES would be a little more... reasonable with their fighting? I mean at least ONE person had to be in ONE of those TEN buildings that came down.

Marvel Comics did an interesting thing called "Civil War" (like the idea, hated the execution of it) because of such fights happening. Like I said, intertesting concept they went for, they just failed on execution of it.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Tawmis wrote:Marvel Comics did an interesting thing called "Civil War" (like the idea, hated the execution of it) because of such fights happening. Like I said, intertesting concept they went for, they just failed on execution of it.
I remember reading that. Iron Man was, as always, completely awesome. Unfortunately, Captain America was pretty damn annoying (to the point of becoming fanatical). The deal with Spider-Man revealing his identity was a little weird, especially since he'd gone to such great lengths to keep it unknown.

It was a great concept and one which is highly realistic, if individuals with those sorts of powers and abilities existed in real life. It would make sense, given the amount of destruction most of them could cause.

I think the reason Iron Man spearheaded the operation is because without his highly advanced armor, he's nothing more than a regular person. Other characters in the Marvel Universe tend to have powers that were gained innately (such as mutation) or from accidents and experiments.

Iron Man has gone toe-to-toe with the Incredible Hulk. Without the armor, he'd have been squashed like a bug. So I could see why he'd want to catalog and legally authorize super-powered individuals.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Well Captain America "died" (I put that in quotes, because no one in comics ever stays dead... not even Bucky, Cap's old side kick... that's right - he's back!) And as a temp villain where he shot and killed Nomad (another of Cap's later side kicks), and is apparently forgiven (because he was brain washed by Russians, I believe it was?) into working for them - and now he's the new Captain America (for now)...

As for shows I miss...

Going back to my cartoon days -

He Man and the Masters of the Universe (the original buff ones)
Transformers
GI Joe
Thundercats
The Tick (Cartoon, not live show)

Some other shows...

Buffy
Angel
Drive
Journeyman

But the one show I am waiting for on DVD that I miss is Tales of the Gold Monkey
Almirena
Supreme Songstress

Post by Almirena »

No longer airing - Moonlight. I truly, truly, truly feel that this show had fantastic potential and some interesting characters, as well as a gorgeous Mick St. John (played by Alex O'Loughlin). I was surprised by the criticisms the show received by American critics, none of which seem fair to me. In short, I loved the series, and was seriously disappointed by the decision to cancel the show.
I purpled the martyred moon
Where twilight drank all light
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

DeadPoolX wrote:One thing that's always interested me is that hese sorts of action scenes (in cartoons and movies) is the unbelievable amount of damage done to the city and probably civilians, as well.
Whenever the hero knocks down a building, I just pretend no one's home. Like they all went to the lake for the weekend and are in for a surprise when they get back.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Tawmis wrote:Well Captain America "died" (I put that in quotes, because no one in comics ever stays dead... not even Bucky, Cap's old side kick... that's right - he's back!) And as a temp villain where he shot and killed Nomad (another of Cap's later side kicks), and is apparently forgiven (because he was brain washed by Russians, I believe it was?) into working for them - and now he's the new Captain America (for now)...
The Winter Soldier, right?

Yeah, I didn't like it when they revived Bucky. He was one of the very few characters that stayed dead. I suppose the only person in comics to really remain deceased would be Uncle Ben (Spider-Man's uncle).
As for shows I miss...

Going back to my cartoon days -

He Man and the Masters of the Universe (the original buff ones)
Transformers
GI Joe
Thundercats
The Tick (Cartoon, not live show)
Except for The Tick, I'd have to agree. I sometimes watched that show, but overall, it didn't seem too funny to me. There was one episode involving Aztecs (or something) which made me laugh.

I think the Tick said something to the tune of, "So what did we learn about the Aztecs today? Well, nothing really."

When I was little, I was a huge He-Man fan. So much so that my dad looked all over to find me a He-Man sword. At the time, was sick and when he gave it to me, both my mom and my dad said I was extremely happy.

Later on, I got two Sword of Omens (my brother wanted one). I think I actually brought it to "show and tell" sometime in elementary school.

I think the above might have influenced my love of swords. I have a real sword collection and it's absolutely awesome. I started collecting when I was in junior high. My mom was always on my case to "stop playing with your swords."

To be fair, I was once cleaning a katana and I guess I miscalculated where the sharp edge of the blade was. The cloth split in two almost immediately and I nearly slashed my hand.

Anyway... as Maia fully knows, I am a huge, huge fan of the G1 Transformers. All of that anime crap that's followed in recent years is awful, but the original series was pretty damn cool. At first I didn't like the new movie (why does Optimus Prime have a mouth?), but after watching it a few times, I've grown to like it. I still don't understand why Ratchet is a hummer and not an ambulance.

I sort of liked G.I. Joe. At least before Serpentor, anyway. The whole G.I. Joe movie threw me for a loop. Cobra-La was very weird. And what the hell happened to Cobra Commander? He got turned into a snake? Huh? :?

One interesting tidbit of information is that Duke was originally supposed to die in the G.I. Joe Movie, but they decided on severely wounding him instead. Apparently, a lot of kids were very upset when Optimus Prime died in the 1986 Transformers animated movie. So much so that parents called in complaining.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”