anyone remember detroit

Talk about anything you want here
abyss
Sierra Fan

anyone remember detroit

Post by abyss »

Detroit was a managerial car game by Impression and published by sierra in 1993. The depth that was in the game was impressive. You had to financially keep your car company in working order. It had so much strategy and I feel it was quite possibly the best game from impression but really I don't see the game getting a lot of the attention that weaker titles like caeser does. Why is that.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: anyone remember detroit

Post by Tawmis »

Hrm, I can't say I recall this?
the_doctor
Sierra Lover

Post by the_doctor »

maybe we should get copies for the Big 3. if they can't win the game, they lose the bailout money and have to close up shop. (not like they're making decent products anymore anyway)
Rudy
Village Elder

Post by Rudy »

Detroit was ok for its time. Quite some depth indeed, but i didn't figure out how to make the business successful, lol. I tried different car models (sports vehicle, commercial vehicles, family cars,..), marketed them, provided competitive prices and all, but they simply did not sell. Must have missed something...
I wouldn't call it the best game from Impressions though. Shortly after Detroit, Impressions also released Airbucks, which had a similar concept (with the airline industry) and was far more entertaining to play (i actually turned the business into a big international airliner, lol). What i like most of Impressions would be the citybuilding series though (Caesar,Pharaoh, Zeus, Emperor,...) and let's not forget their Lord of the Realm and Lords of Magic Series.
Sierra Chest creator, Sierra collector/curator.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

I remember Detroit. I wasn't too impressed with it. Maybe my attention span was less back then. Whatever the case, I had other games to play.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
abyss
Sierra Fan

Post by abyss »

It was very hard and you had to succesfully manage a car company but it was my favourite impression game. You can't get sound on newer computers though.
Andy Roark
Sierra Lover

Post by Andy Roark »

Detroit was a cool game - it was an Impressions release from before the Sierra purchase that got re-released under the Sierra Classics label in 95-96. Just to see what I had up I checked SierraVault and I've only got Mobygames box cover scans but this "bullet point" on the back jumped out at me....

- Turned based business simulation from 1908 to 2008

Freaky, huh?
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

abyss wrote:It was very hard and you had to succesfully manage a car company but it was my favourite impression game. You can't get sound on newer computers though.
That reminds of Air Bucks. The idea was to create and run an airline successfully to make money. Obviously that game is fictional, since airlines are lucky to break even (usually they lose money).

The old joke is: "What's the best way to become a millionaire? Invest a billion in an airline."
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”