Running Civil War series in full screen?

sierranut
Noob

Running Civil War series in full screen?

Post by sierranut »

I recently picked up the Great Civil War 3 game series which contain:
Robert E Lee, Civil War General
Civil War 2 Generals
The Blue and the Gray

My box has win 7 64 bit on it. I was able to install all 3 games by using win 7's virtual machine (XP mode) then clicking on Win 95 in the compatibility mode.

The games will all run, but only in a window. Even when I maximize it's window, it simply moves the existing small window up to the left hand corner of the screen.

In the compatibility mode, I tried running in 256 colors, and checking the "run 640 x 480" box, but nothing changes.

Any ideas?

Oh, and 1 other thing..... This is one of those games that requires the CD to be in the drive for copy protection purposes. Any way around that?

Thanks in advance!
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Re: Running Civil War series in full screen?

Post by DeadPoolX »

sierranut wrote:Oh, and 1 other thing..... This is one of those games that requires the CD to be in the drive for copy protection purposes. Any way around that?
You might be able to copy over all the data from the CD itself to your hard drive. I'm not sure of the particulars, though, so it may not work without some editing.

There is CD-mounting software (most of it is free) available and you could probably find NO-CD cracks as well. I won't tell you where to find them, but a simple Google search would be sufficient.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: Running Civil War series in full screen?

Post by Collector »

You cannot use compatibly mode with Virtual PC itself, which is what XP Mode uses. The XP Mode VM uses 16-bit color with system integration enabled. The only way to get compatibility mode to work inside of the VM is to turn off this feature. You could experiment with using compatibility mode on batch files to drop your resolution down before it launches the VM. At worse, if you launch the VM instead of the XP Mode app, you can turn off the system integration before starting the game within the VM, compatibility mode should work.

As far as eliminating the need for the CD, check the config files to see if anything points to your CD drive and change it to ".\" to point to the installed directory. If that does not work, look for Game Copy World to see if they have a NoCD patch.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Return to “Civil War Generals”