The Brainless Box (aka Television Shows)

Talk about anything you want here
Maxor127
Sierra Obsessed

Re: The Brainless Box (aka Television Shows)

Post by Maxor127 »

As long as the show continues to focus on the brothers, I'll watch. French Mistake was pretty awesome. And the one about fairies. And I liked the western one with the disgusting prostitutes and their herpes or whatever that was. I don't see the show ending definitively without them killing the two brothers off in some way, because I don't think they'd ever "retire." Although, I have been saying they should make movies pitting the Winchesters against famous horror movie monsters, like Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash or Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein. It sounds ridiculous and stupid, but no more so than the French Connection or Changing Channels.

I've decided Top Gear (BBC) is my favorite show in general to watch. It's funny and entertaining even though I don't care about cars, so I guess that says a lot that it can appeal to someone like me.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Maia and I are currently watching Grimm, Game of Thrones and Dexter (when the new season starts up again). We've also started renting Chuck and we're almost done with the first season.

In Chuck it's still weird to see Yvonne Strahovski as someone other than Miranda Lawson. I guess the opposite was just as weird for those who originally saw her in Chuck before Mass Effect 2.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Maxor127
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Maxor127 »

I can't stand Grimm. I watched a mini-marathon of it, and the only enjoyment I got was making fun of it MST3K-style.
misslilo
Caffeine Queen

Post by misslilo »

At the moment I prefer shows like:
V - sci-fi what can I say lol
Game of Thrones - so much fuss about it, have to check it out.
2 & a half men - think we're getting both season 5 and 6 in between each other - gets confusing at times lol
Bones - have no idea what season - but I love it
NCIS - again, no idea how far we are
CSI Miami - it just keeps trucking along the tubeway lol
"You cannot escape your past, but you can make your future" - Diana Melkumova
Twitter/Steam/Twitch: @wowdane
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I've just gone through the two seasons of The Walking Dead. Fantastic storytelling and acting. The only piece of entertainment related to zombies I've actually liked ever. Telltale's game included. (Excluding Left 4 Dead)
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Maxor127 wrote:I can't stand Grimm.
Why? I'm not looking to argue or change your mind, I'm just genuinely curious as to why you dislike Grimm so much.
Expack3
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Expack3 »

Recently discovered that one of my favorite animated series of all time, The Secret Saturdays, is on Boomerang at 9PM and 9:30PM EST. I'm just thankful that the place I'm staying at actually has the channel so I can watch it! For those who don't know what the show is about, The Secret Saturdays is about a family of scientists and their rather unique cryptid companions as they travel the world in their airship in order to save the day, study cryptids, and try to stay one step against the villainous children's show host V.V. Argost in his quest to capture the reincarnated cryptid Kur, king of all cryptids.
You like manuals. You like manuals. You love them. You cannot resist manuals.
Your gameplay experience is meaningless without manuals.
Maxor127
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Maxor127 »

DeadPoolX wrote:
Why? I'm not looking to argue or change your mind, I'm just genuinely curious as to why you dislike Grimm so much.
The main Grimm guy is extremely bland and wooden. It didn't surprise me when I found out he apparently got his start on the MTV show Road Rules. I didn't like the stories or special effects. It's basically a generic police procedural that happens to have monsters committing the crimes. And so that leads me to not liking the basic premise at all of this one police officer who is chosen to hunt down evil monsters or whatever he's supposed to be doing, but all of these monsters just happen to live in the city he lives in, and they all just happen to be able to make themselves appear to be human. And then they have to shoehorn in an allusion to Grimm's Fairy Tales for each episode. Somehow it made hunting monsters unexciting. I'd give specific reasons from the episodes I watched, but it was almost 6 months ago. Other shows have done the same basic premise in better ways. I'm a big Supernatural fan, but I think even if I didn't have that show to compare to, I still wouldn't like Grimm. Maybe it got better since I watched months ago or it will get better next season. But I think it will just be one of those shows I can't stand that I'll always wonder how people can like.
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

Just announced.....CSI Miami won't be back this coming season.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Maxor127 wrote:
DeadPoolX wrote:
The main Grimm guy is extremely bland and wooden. It didn't surprise me when I found out he apparently got his start on the MTV show Road Rules. I didn't like the stories or special effects. It's basically a generic police procedural that happens to have monsters committing the crimes. And so that leads me to not liking the basic premise at all of this one police officer who is chosen to hunt down evil monsters or whatever he's supposed to be doing, but all of these monsters just happen to live in the city he lives in, and they all just happen to be able to make themselves appear to be human. And then they have to shoehorn in an allusion to Grimm's Fairy Tales for each episode. Somehow it made hunting monsters unexciting. I'd give specific reasons from the episodes I watched, but it was almost 6 months ago. Other shows have done the same basic premise in better ways. I'm a big Supernatural fan, but I think even if I didn't have that show to compare to, I still wouldn't like Grimm. Maybe it got better since I watched months ago or it will get better next season. But I think it will just be one of those shows I can't stand that I'll always wonder how people can like.
What's interesting about that is Maia and I couldn't stand Supernatural. We tried watching it and felt the two main characters had virtually no personality. What little they did have was very unlikeable. Yet we like Grimm.

Just goes to show how different some people's tastes are, I guess. :P
Moon Dragon
Sierra Veteran

Post by Moon Dragon »

I have to admit that Grimm had a bit of a b-movie feal sometimes (I agree with the sometimes wooden actors), however, I still thought it was a good show. I do admit, though, that I have a weakness for supernatural themed shows.

On another note, they have also been showing Once apon a time. I have to admit that, while i mostly like the show, I find it odd that the special effects seem to be so cheap looking, especially considering that it's disney. I'm not sure yet whether they are being inconsistent or if they are actually trying to show some of the psychology behind the "bad" guys, but I certainly hope that it's the latter. Otherwise I will definatly be very disapointed.
Maxor127
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Maxor127 »

DeadPoolX wrote:
Maxor127 wrote:
DeadPoolX wrote:
What's interesting about that is Maia and I couldn't stand Supernatural. We tried watching it and felt the two main characters had virtually no personality. What little they did have was very unlikeable. Yet we like Grimm.

Just goes to show how different some people's tastes are, I guess. :P
Supernatural's characters actually turn out being interesting, especially when you consider the show completely revolves around them, and has lasted for 7 seasons. It's all about the characters instead of the monsters or the story. It doesn't rely on mysteries or mythology to keep you interested. The first season, particularly the first few episodes aren't as good as following seasons, which is why I say maybe the same will be true for Grimm. But I still don't see how they'll make things fresh and interesting with it being stuck as a police procedural and with him in the same town. And I don't think I can ever like the main guy or the cartoony special effects.
Maxor127
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Maxor127 »

Moon Dragon wrote:I have to admit that Grimm had a bit of a b-movie feal sometimes (I agree with the sometimes wooden actors), however, I still thought it was a good show. I do admit, though, that I have a weakness for supernatural themed shows.

On another note, they have also been showing Once apon a time. I have to admit that, while i mostly like the show, I find it odd that the special effects seem to be so cheap looking, especially considering that it's disney. I'm not sure yet whether they are being inconsistent or if they are actually trying to show some of the psychology behind the "bad" guys, but I certainly hope that it's the latter. Otherwise I will definatly be very disapointed.
Have you watched Supernatural? I'm interested in what someone who watched the first seasons for both shows thinks of Grimm compared to Supernatural.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Maxor127 wrote: Have you watched Supernatural? I'm interested in what someone who watched the first seasons for both shows thinks of Grimm compared to Supernatural.
Grim is good.

But it doesn't come close to the awesome of Supernatural.
UPtimist
Sierra Fan Wanna Be

Post by UPtimist »

I wonder why I can't remember a good dramatic TV show in TV since Twin Peaks... Well, I mean a dramatic show that I like, at least. Not including mini-series, perhaps. I might remember one or two of those. I mean, Lost showed promise in the early seasons but went steeply downhill pretty fast. That's about the only one that might've been interesting. There's something about the way they all follow certain conventions that make them so tedious...

So, I haven't really watched anything but comedies (when talking about TV series) on TV for a long time. Well, the occasional British crime series, but just occasionally. Well, okay, last year they showed the first season of this new Sherlock, which was very good, but it was more like a mini-series anyway (I think Jane Jensen just wrote about how awesome it is, so I'm in good company :P).

So, I'm just watching stuff like 30 Rock, Modern Family, Big Bang Theory, Outnumbered, Flight of the Conchords (when it was on), etcetera...

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”