Break The Spine.

Talk about anything you want here
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Break The Spine.

Post by Rath Darkblade »

***WARNING... LONG REVIEW (BUT INTERESTING!)*** :D

I'm currently reading the "History of Byzantium" trilogy, by John Julius Norwich (a history in three volumes). I've read the superb Byzantium: The Early Centuries (from the founding of Byzantium to the crowning of Charlemagne on Christmas Day, 800 AD), and the excellent Byzantium: The Apogee (from Charlemagne's coronation to the tragic and unnecessary battle of Manzikert, and the brutal blinding of a Roman emperor). Now I'm moving on to the final volume: Byzantium: The Decline and Fall, from the period leading up to the Crusades until the final Turkish siege and capture of Constantinople - and what happens next. ;)

Why am I reading about such a subject? Three reasons: first, I have already read Norwich's history of Venice and enjoyed it immensely. Norwich is a talented writer who has a gift for taking history - political, military and social - and presenting the important information, in a readable and funny way, without making it dry with endless dates and names. (There are lists of emperors and sultans too, as well as maps - but they are only used as reference, and you don't have to study them if you don't want to).

Second... many years ago, when I played a game called Age of Empires II, it presented a scenario called "Manzikert 1071". I'd never heard the name before, and played through a Turkish invasion of Byzantium and the siege and capture of a town. I didn't think too much about it afterwards, until I read more about the Crusades and realised how the outcome of the battle of Manzikert was crucial in the lead-up to the Crusades. (Needless to say, the scenario in the game is nothing like what happened in real life, but hey). ;)

Third, and most important... before I started reading these books, I have only ever heard of Byzantium or Constantinople dimly - it was a faraway place in time of which I knew little and understood less. Norwich's history brings them all to life: Emperors noble and wise, cruel and cowardly, heroic and tragic; Empresses by turn scheming, pitiable or evil; bishops and archbishops acting as ambassadors and politicians; scholars debating the issues of the day, founding new universities, or acting as eminences grises; and the population of the biggest and most beautiful city of its day, built in marble and malachite, as obsessed with religion as they were with chariot races. This indeed was the New Roman Empire; and for over 1,100 years, it safeguarded western Europe from countless invasions - holding off the Persians, the Armenians, the Bulgars, the Saracens, the Rus and many more. It was thanks to Constantinople that western Europe had the chance to grow and mature throughout the period between the fall of Rome and the early Middle Ages. To give just a brief example: when the warriors of Islam spread to all corners of the former Roman Empire in the 700s, they carried all before them and spread the word from Armenia in the northeast to Egypt in the southeast, and from Lybia in the southwest to northern Spain in the northwest - and on to southern France. They even besieged Constantinople; and if the grand city had fallen, what destiny Europe? This was a Europe of bickering princes and warlords, of patchy alliances and tiny weak mini-states; it would have stood no chance against the young and strong power of Islam, which would in all probability have spread across the whole of Europe - with consequences that we cannot imagine.

This is why Byzantium still matters. The forgotten empire, sometimes heroic, sometimes tragic, sometimes cruel or bloodthirsty or even farcical - but never, ever boring. Thoroughly recommended! Two thumbs up. :D
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

Just saw this on Facebook.....
BookSuicide.jpg
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

...or Twilight. ;)

(Good point though! I agree whole-heartedly!) :)
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

Yeah, substitute any stupid "reality" show on tv today.
Moon Dragon
Sierra Veteran

Post by Moon Dragon »

Later I'm going to the countryside for my vacation and I am taking both Guliver's travels and Robinson Crusoe with me, now I read very slow, so I'll most likely not get aroun to reading both, but I haven't decided yet witch one I want to start with first :-D.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Have fun! :D Those two are both very interesting books. :)

Here's a bit of trivia for you... Robinson Crusoe has the distinction of being the very first novel in the English language. Of course there are lots of contenders, but most people agree on that.

The first book of Gulliver's Travels (and the most famous, A Voyage to Liliput) was written as a biting satire on the Irish politics of the time. To say more would spoil the story, so I won't. ;)
Moon Dragon
Sierra Veteran

Post by Moon Dragon »

Rath Darkblade wrote:Have fun! :D Those two are both very interesting books. :)

Here's a bit of trivia for you... Robinson Crusoe has the distinction of being the very first novel in the English language. Of course there are lots of contenders, but most people agree on that.

The first book of Gulliver's Travels (and the most famous, A Voyage to Liliput) was written as a biting satire on the Irish politics of the time. To say more would spoil the story, so I won't. ;)
Interesting fact about Robinson :-D

When I was little I had a vhs tape with a cartoon version of Gulliver, so I know the gist of the story, even if I suspect it is a shorter and much much more romatized version with disney-esque songs and a happy ending.
Last edited by Moon Dragon on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Childhood favourites, great!
I just finished my second Hesse this week: Narcissus and Goldmund. Except for the wrap-up it's a fascinating philosophy of art and life. No wonder Kafka was a fan of his!
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Rath Darkblade wrote:Here's a bit of trivia for you... Robinson Crusoe has the distinction of being the very first novel in the English language. Of course there are lots of contenders, but most people agree on that.
As you say, there are others. Robinson Crusoe was first published in 1719. Many others predate it. The earliest cited is Le Morte d'Arthur, published in 1485. William Baldwin's Beware the Cat has has numerous editions published. The 2nd edition was published in 1570. The Pilgrim's Progress was published in 1678.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

I'm currently reading (and copying into a more legible font) part of the Dutch justice archive of about the most famous assassination in Dutch history: that of William the Silent. It dates from 1584 and was printed in a gothic font, and relates of the crime and the torture that the murderer, Balthazar Gerards, had to endure before his horrible execution. It's not pleasant reading for more than one reason, but interesting nonetheless.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rage of the Dragon. I simply can NOT say enough GREAT things about this series.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

BBP wrote:I'm currently reading (and copying into a more legible font) part of the Dutch justice archive of about the most famous assassination in Dutch history: that of William the Silent. It dates from 1584 and was printed in a gothic font, and relates of the crime and the torture that the murderer, Balthazar Gerards, had to endure before his horrible execution. It's not pleasant reading for more than one reason, but interesting nonetheless.
I can't imagine it would be pleasant reading... political history, when examined up-close (or even from far away), rarely is. But I'm sure it would be very interesting. :)

The famous House of Orange-Nassau is named after him; the colours of the flag of the Netherlands (red, white and blue) are derived from his flag (which was orange, white and blue). The official colour of the Netherlands is orange, and the official anthem of the Netherlands, the Wilhelmus, was originally a song to inspire people to join William's cause.

I remember reading about the assassination of William the Silent (also known as William I, the Prince of Orange). He was the first head of state to be assassinated with a handgun (although technically, he was not head of state - "only" the stadtholder of Holland and Zeeland). I'm impressed the document is still extant! if it was written in 1584 (the year of the assassination), how has it survived the centuries? Still, seeing as it was written at the same year, no doubt it would be authentic.

As for the tortures and execution of Balthasar Gerard (aka Gerards or Gerardts)... it is best to pass over it unmentioned. :( Medieval torture and executions were often horrible, and his was no exception. As to why he suffered such a gruesome death, I can only offer one explanation: Europe in 1584 was passing through a time of great tragedy, due to the division between the Catholics and the Protestants, which caused the European Wars of Religion - the 80 Years War in the Low Countries (1568-1648), the French Wars of Religion (1562-98), the 30 Years War (1618-48), and the War of the Three Kingdoms (1639-51) between England, Ireland and Scotland. Wars of Religion are always the worst sort, and always bring out the worst in people. :(

The Netherlands was, at the time, a Spanish possession; and William the Silent was great leader of the "rebel" Netherlanders who wished both religious freedom and a freedom for their country from the Spanish Catholics. Indeed, so great a leader was he that he became known as "Father of his Fatherland"; I would hazard a guess that the Netherlands would not have won its independence, if he decided to stay loyal to the Spanish. In terms of what he achieved before his assassination - in the early years of the revolution, he was the chief financer of, as well as the political and military leader of, the "rebels" - it seems incredible that one man could have achieved so much in such a short space of time.
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I never read books. Ever. But a couple months ago I found the book Myst - The Book of Atrus in a Value Village and I had to pick it up to complete my Myst collection (though, I discovered there are actually two more). I read through it recently and it was great! So cool to know the backstory now! I want to pick up the other books now. The book was really enjoyable. Anybody else read the Myst books?

I love Myst. Such a cool world and concept.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Aw I was just about to relate about how Gerards got whipped and beaten, then his wounds smeared in with honey, and then they set a goat onto him to lick him off but the animal wouldn't do that.
And that was just on the first day. From the article I gathered that many of the tortures he endured (among them having piss thrown over him) came directly from the bible and other christian folklore.

I'm impressed by your knowledge on the subject!
My father likes to read up on all sorts of his regional folklore, he grew up in The Hague, and Delft (crime scene) is not far from there. One of the things he spent literally years looking into, was what happened to the guns Gerards used to silence William: there were pistols at the crime scene but they might have been the victim's own. And as I was typing that thing, I discovered it for him: apparently the murder weapons were executed at Gerards' execution: smashed with a hammer on an anvil in front of the crowd. The author of the piece was in favour of Gerards' actions, describing him as the heroic man who freed the Netherlands of the tyrant.

Other fun fact: the orange-white-blue became red-white-blue, because the orange paint was a mix of red and yellow paint, and on long sailing trips the yellow would fade easily but red would persist. (Well, that's one of the explanations. There are a dozen.)

@ MI: No I've read the 7th Guest book and that was more than enough "gaming literature" to last a lifetime.
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

My latest acquisition is going to take some time. It's the complete works by Joost van den Vondel, printed in 1937 and nigh 1500 pages thick, in the original Golden Age Dutch.
Skip to new scripts

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”