Is anyone familiar with Wine?

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
stuntology
Sierra Obsessed

Is anyone familiar with Wine?

Post by stuntology »

Hey everyone, I'm trying to run QfG5 on my mac, and I'd heard that Wine was a good way to do so. I've installed it ,and am totally clueless as to what to do. Has anyone here used Wine to play games, and would you please help me out?
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: Is anyone familiar with Wine?

Post by Collector »

Not too many around here on Mac, but there are a couple on Linux. I don't know if WINE on Mac is as good as it is on Linux. You can probably find a number of Mac forums where someone knows more about it on Mac than anyone here.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

I've used Mac OSX for various work-related things (mostly pertaining to audio/video projects), but never gaming. Unfortunately, my experiences with Linux (in this case, Ubuntu) weren't favorable, so once again, I don't have much experience or personal knowledge to help.

That said, this post isn't an entire waste (or one of those "I don't know" posts) because I have here the link to the Official Wine Wiki regarding Mac OSX and something called Wine Bottler.

If neither of those help, check the GOG forums (General or QFG) and/or VOGONS. Hopefully they'll be of some assistance.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Jules
Delta Babe

Post by Jules »

LOL I thought y'all were talking about the drink. I was about to chime in... "HOW BOUT A MALBEC!"
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I've used WINE in Linux before, worked fairly well. However, I've never drank any form of alcohol in my entire life, believe it or not.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

MusicallyInspired wrote:However, I've never drank any form of alcohol in my entire life, believe it or not.
Not entirely true if you've accidentally swallowed a little mouthwash. :P

While I've definitely had alcohol before, I've never had a hangover. I'm not "special" or anything, I just never have more than two drinks. I get migraines (which alcohol can bring on) and I'm on certain medications that don't play nice with too much alcohol.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Jules wrote:LOL I thought y'all were talking about the drink. I was about to chime in... "HOW BOUT A MALBEC!"
How about a little nice Cabernet Sauvignon, then? ;)

Like DPX, I try to limit my alcoholic consumption because alcohol doesn't play nice with my system. I do enjoy a beer every now and then (but limit myself to one at a time, and only good beer), and I'm quite partial to certain liqueurs (particularly Bailey's Irish Cream - though I limit myself to one small shot), but that's all I will have. Believe it or not, I have never drank any kind of wine. Just the smell of wine is enough to put me off - it reminds me too much of vinegar that's gone bad. *shrugs*
Moon Dragon
Sierra Veteran

Post by Moon Dragon »

Rath Darkblade wrote:Just the smell of wine is enough to put me off - it reminds me too much of vinegar that's gone bad. *shrugs*
Isn't it technically the other way around?
stuntology
Sierra Obsessed

Post by stuntology »

Haha, thanks for the replies! I think it's kind of hilarious how this thread turned around.

(And I have had wine a few times, but no other alcoholic beverages).

Return to “Non-Sierra Games & Help”