So I'm wondering...

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

So I'm wondering...

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I really want to get the Monkey Island Special Edition Bundle (MI1 and MI2) through Steam, but I'm wondering how secure it would be to use a credit card over Steam. I know the official Steam line that it's extremely secure blah blah blah - every company will tell me that. :P What's the word from the rest of you? Has anyone bought games through Steam here? How secure is it? ;)
Moon Dragon
Sierra Veteran

Re: So I'm wondering...

Post by Moon Dragon »

Don't know anything specific about their security, but I do know that I have bought games from them a couple of times and my friend has bought even more games and none of us have ever experienced anything bad.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote:I really want to get the Monkey Island Special Edition Bundle (MI1 and MI2) through Steam, but I'm wondering how secure it would be to use a credit card over Steam. I know the official Steam line that it's extremely secure blah blah blah - every company will tell me that. :P What's the word from the rest of you? Has anyone bought games through Steam here? How secure is it? ;)
Quite a few people here have bought games on Steam. I usually do most of my purchasing during their sales events, which occur several times a year. There will be one next month, as Steam always has massive sales for Christmas.

As for security, Steam is about as secure as any other major online vendor. In other words, it's no worse than GOG, Amazon, etc.

Something you can do on Steam is add money (from a credit card) to your account's Steam Wallet. Once money is in there, you can buy games using it without entering in a credit card number each time or having Steam remember your information.

Just so you know, Steam, GOG and the TellTale Games website have ToMI for $34.99 USD. GOG was actually running a TellTale Games sale a few days ago, so it was probably a lot cheaper then, but it's back to full price now.

I'd recommend waiting to get it until you see the sales offered in December on Steam. You might be able to get it at a huge discount.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm... I'd consider getting ToMI too, but I already have it, so... :) I haven't played the "new" MI1 or MI2 - are they very different to the original games (apart from different graphics, all-new speech etc.)?
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote:Hmm... I'd consider getting ToMI too, but I already have it, so... :) I haven't played the "new" MI1 or MI2 - are they very different to the original games (apart from different graphics, all-new speech etc.)?
As far as I know they're basically the same game, just with new graphics and audio. I could be wrong, however, as I haven't played them through.

Your best bet is to look up a review online.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Moon Dragon
Sierra Veteran

Post by Moon Dragon »

Rath Darkblade wrote:Hmm... I'd consider getting ToMI too, but I already have it, so... :) I haven't played the "new" MI1 or MI2 - are they very different to the original games (apart from different graphics, all-new speech etc.)?
No, they are excactly the same. You can even swich ingame between the two without any lag or anything. There may have been added small visual easter eggs, that are a bit different from the original and they have added achivements (can't remember if both games ave them or just MI2), but the gameplay/story etc has not changed at all. Just voice and updated graphics. :-).
Fender_178
Sierra Veteran

Post by Fender_178 »

Rath Darkblade wrote:I really want to get the Monkey Island Special Edition Bundle (MI1 and MI2) through Steam, but I'm wondering how secure it would be to use a credit card over Steam. I know the official Steam line that it's extremely secure blah blah blah - every company will tell me that. :P What's the word from the rest of you? Has anyone bought games through Steam here? How secure is it? ;)
It is pretty secure. They also give you the option not to save your credit card so you can enter it every time you purchase something. If that helps make your decision any easier. I bought some stuff from Steam and I never saved any of my Credit\Debit Card information.
FREEZE SCUM!!
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I've bought from Steam many times. Though, mostly with PayPal. I did do credit a couple times, though, and never had any problems. I've never had any problems anywhere I've used credit online, though.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Maxor127
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Maxor127 »

Steam is fine compared to other sites. I don't have a problem using a credit card on it. I just don't let it remember my credit card info.

The Monkey Island remakes are excellent. Actually I only really played the second one. They're pretty much the same as the originals, but the controls and interface are different. And you can seamlessly switch between the original Monkey Islands and the remakes with a press of a button, which is kind of cool to see how the graphics have been updated. Basically, they did what I wish all remakes would do: they updated the graphics to modern standards while still staying true to the originals. I'd love to see my favorite Sierra games remade that way.

Return to “Non-Sierra Games & Help”