Steam and GOG sales

Talk about anything you want here
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Re: Steam and GOG sales

Post by DeadPoolX »

Moon Dragon wrote:How does gog work, is it like steam where you have your games available online or do you have to download them and keep them on the computer? And how well do the games work, I mean, can you play them right away or do you still need to tweak them so they'll work with newer computers?
GOG is somewhat similar to Steam in that you have an account and all games you purchase are then in that account's collection.

Where GOG differs, however, is that their games are almost entirely DRM-free, so once you download a game and install it, you don't have to run any other software (like you do with Steam) in order to play the games.

I say "almost entirely" because games that had copy protection when initially released still retain it, but GOG supplies the manuals and any other documents needed to bypass it. Even so, it would've been nice if GOG had simply edited or removed the copy protection itself.

Backing up games is a little easier on GOG as well, since you can simply download the game's exe (or use GOG's own downloader) and then copy it to an external hard drive or USB thumbdrive.

As for tweaking, I don't really know. I haven't had any problems, but maybe I've been lucky.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Moon Dragon
Sierra Veteran

Post by Moon Dragon »

Thanks a lot DPS :-).

I should buy a game sometime, then and try it out.
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

Moon,

They have some free adventure games on there if you just wanna try it.
Moon Dragon
Sierra Veteran

Post by Moon Dragon »

ok, thanks :-)
Maxor127
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Maxor127 »

Is the quality of GOG manuals, particularly for older games any different than what you'd find on a site like replacementdocs? The same quality? Higher resolution? Searchable text?

What about box art?
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Maxor127 wrote:Is the quality of GOG manuals, particularly for older games any different than what you'd find on a site like replacementdocs? The same quality? Higher resolution? Searchable text?

What about box art?
From what I've seen, the manuals are in PDF format, which means the text is searchable. I'm not sure about the overall resolution quality, since that can differ based on a number of variables.

I don't think box art is considered, although some games do include art books and art collections.
adeyke
Oldbie

Post by adeyke »

The manuals are PDF, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're searchable. Some of them are, but others (e.g. KQ1-7) are just scans of the manual pages as images.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Sanctum is an FPS/Tower Defense game that's more about strategy than action, but doesn't get boring.

Right now the game (and all DLC) are 75% off on Steam until May 13th.

This weekend it's also FREE to play Sanctum until Sunday (May 12th) at 1PM PDT. So if you're hesitant to purchase it, even at 75% off the normal price, you can try it out for free.

Normally there's a demo as well, but the free weekend is for the full game.

Maia and I like playing this game and you can play it co-op with four people. So if anyone here is interested, try it out and maybe we can make a group game of it.

Before anyone asks, yes, you must have Steam installed to play it.
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

Sanctum is a lot of fun! It's actually sort of relaxing during the pre-round setup, since you can take as much time as you want and the settings are quite attractive.

It can be dangerous, if you're kind of OCD (like me), since then you want to make your defenses as efficient and well-planned as possible. However, the upside of that is that the action then becomes optional (at least on easy) and you don't actually have to shoot anything, unless you feel like it.
"I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept."
--The Marquis de Carabas in Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

GamersGate is having a sale on a bunch of different games, ranging from Orcs Must Die 2 (which is awesome!) to Battlefield 3.

Something I thought a few of you might find interested is this Adventure 4 Pack, containing Gray Matter and three other titles. I don't recognize the other three games, but all four (in one pack) are on sale for $9.99, so it's a pretty good deal.

You don't play games on GamersGate, instead they give you access to the game. In other words, if you bought BF3, you'd get a key to play it on Origin, whereas you'd get a different key for OMD2 to play on Steam. If the game in question has no DRM attached to it, then I imagine it remains DRM-free.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Good chance for someone that has yet to get Gray Matter. I already have Gray Matter and Black Mirror 2. I an not familiar with Alter Ego or The Rockin' Dead. The description for Alter Ego looks like it is some kind of Agatha Christie knock off. The Rockin' Dead looks like a weird merger of Shivers Two and Ten Little Indians.

It looks like GamersGate is based in Sweden, so if you are right about the DRM, would that mean that Gray Matter is the European version with DRM? Then again, I seem to remember that the European release was a disc based DRM such as SecuROM, not exactly translatable to digital download.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Pharaoh and Cleopatra, Arcanum, Vampire The Masquerade, all of Sierra's Quest adventures, and more Activision titles 50% off.

All three GK titles for $2.99 each. All six QfGs for $4.99. The two King's Quest packages for $4.99 and more

http://www.gog.com/promo/activision_wee ... a992b2786a
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Just in case anyone's interested, I've got the following in my Steam inventory:

1 copy of Portal
2 copies of Steel Storm: Burning Retribution
1 coupon for 25% off Anodyne
1 coupon for 25% off Dragon Hearts

If anyone wants them, just say so. I have no use for them.

Oh and Steam has the entire Alan Wake series on sale for 90% off. I know you can get the series on GOG (that's where I bought it), but it's hard to argue with 90% off the price.
adeyke
Oldbie

Post by adeyke »

DeadPoolX wrote:Oh and Steam has the entire Alan Wake series on sale for 90% off. I know you can get the series on GOG (that's where I bought it), but it's hard to argue with 90% off the price.
You just missed an even better price. It was the previous Humble Weekly Sale, minimum price $1 for both games together. That sale is over now.

Generally speaking, these indie bundles are the way to go for cheap games. Sites that sell such bundles include (not all of them will have active bundles at any given time):
http://www.humblebundle.com/
http://www.indieroyale.com/
http://groupees.com/
http://www.indiegala.com/
http://bundle-in-a-box.com/
http://www.bundlestars.com/

Fans of adventure games might be interested in the current Humble Weekly Bundle (Telltale games) or the current Bundle in a Box (Blackwell series).
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”