WTB: Chessmaster XI (aka Grandmaster Edition)

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
audiodane
A Member Of Cap'n Tawmis' Scurvy Crew

WTB: Chessmaster XI (aka Grandmaster Edition)

Post by audiodane »

Super ultra long story short, I taught two of my kids this month how to play Chess, and they're begging me to play with them. Well I still have a day job, and they're out on summer vacation- so I'm looking to install a chess program for them to play while I'm at work..

This particular franchise goes WAY back.. I know I have a VERY old version somewhere, maybe even the original chessmaster 2000, but I am curious how the graphics have improved. So I'm looking for the "latest version," released in 2007, Chessmaster XI, or Chessmaster: Grandmaster Edition.

Ubisoft pages:
http://chessmaster.us.ubi.com/xi/index.php, and
http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/Info.aspx?pId=5893

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a vendor for it. Amazon 3rd party sellers are asking an unreasonable amount, and the only version I find on eBay (worldwide) is in Italy, and don't read Italian so I'm not confident enough to buy it.. They're also wanting the equivalent of USD$30 + shipping, which is too much IMO (of course, exchange rates don't help me these days). Oddly, even craigslist doesn't seem to have a copy..

Anybody got this they no longer want? I can't imagine it would really be worth so much on the used market.. I'm looking for something like USD$20 or thereabouts..

thanks,
..dane
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: WTB: Chessmaster XI (aka Grandmaster Edition)

Post by Collector »

Wow. I did a little looking and I never saw a newer game go for so much. The range from Amazon is $82.26 to $445.15. Half.com wants $71.99, eBay $59.95. If you wait long enough, you may find someone on eBay that doesn't know what it is worth and offer it for a song. In the mean time, what about the chess that comes with Windows?
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

audiodane

Post by audiodane »

I know! Those prices are just absurd! And to your recommendation-- ha ha! I forgot that Windows came with Chess! I'll try it out tonight.. thanks for the reminder. I have setup an eBay watch reminder as well..
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Yeah, Chess Titans (the chess program that comes with Windows 7) is pretty good. It also has an undo feature (CTRL + Z) which is great when you're learning how to play.

The one drawback is I find the CPU tries to force you into a stalemate a lot. This is also where the undo feature comes in handy, because I refuse to be locked into a stalemate by a damn computer.

If you're looking for less normal versions of chess, here're two inexpensive games to choose from: Battle Chess and Combat Chess. Both are available on GOG for $5.99 each.

I played Battle Chess when it was new (1988) and back then it was awesome. Today the graphics are somewhat lackluster, but at least the collection on GOG is in VGA, as opposed to the original EGA. There's a fantasy-medieval chess set and a sci-fi chess set, although to be honest, the latter looks a little goofy for my tastes. Young kids might like it, though.

I've never played Combat Chess, but judging by the screen shots and the description, it looks like an updated version (as of 1997) of Battle Chess.

Another option is a game on Steam called Check vs Mate. It's more expensive than either Battle Chess or Combat Chess at $19.99, but it looks a million times better. I've never played this game either, but it's probably nothing more than a new version (2012) of Battle Chess.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

DeadPoolX wrote:I refuse to be locked into a stalemate by a damn computer.
Funny how stubborn we humans can be against machines :lol:

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I've played chess (including competitive chess, with clocks and everything) for a couple of decades now. I have to say that Chess Titans is very tricky, but it does not understand positional play at all. If you can avoid its tricks and simplify into an ending, you'll win easily. :P

Battle Chess (at least the EGA version I played during the 80s) is a bit of a novelty. It can't play worth a damn, but the animations (especially the ones of pieces capturing each other) are fairly good.

I've played Combat Chess, and it's a weak copy of Battle Chess. It still can't play worth a damn, but it has animations of pieces capturing each other - however, I'd recommend Battle Chess, since it can play better, and its animations are better too. ;)

Finally, the Chessmaster series... this is, of course, a venerable series going back to at least the early 90s (and possibly earlier!) If your kids are just starting to play chess, I'd recommend avoiding Chessmaster XI. Try something a little bit earlier if you can get it - I prefer Chessmaster 3000 or 4000 or thereabouts. They're simply much easier to beat. :P
audiodane

Post by audiodane »

The kids are just now starting to learn the names of pieces and what they look like normally- I do not want to go start introducing all sorts of different types of chess pieces.. So battle chess and combat chess are out (I looked at them on GOG last week).

Rath, that's interesting what you say about CM XI-- do they not have an "intro" mode or "learning" mode that would be good for them? And yes, we had a copy WAAAAY back, possibly even the FIRST edition (CM2k) ..

I can probably find the earlier versions, and possibly even our own original disks perhaps.. but really was curious how the lastest one looks (and plays).

thanks,
..dane
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm... I think there could be an "intro" or "learning" mode in CM11 - it's a feature of most CM games from version 5 onwards. If the kids are just learning, then this feature would be great for them. :)

Personally, I never bothered with this feature because I already know how to play chess, and was itching to try and beat the computer! :twisted: That's when I noticed that most of the "personalities" on the CM games were fairly hard to beat from version 5 onwards. However, as I said, the "learning" mode is great for people who are still learning the game. :)
audiodane

Post by audiodane »

Ha! One just popped up in my ballpark (USD$10).. Hopefully nobody else wants it right now.. :)

And yes, I'm thinking about the instruction mode. I recall CM2k that we had you could select a piece and it would show you where it could move and such.. I've already taught my kids these things, but they keep asking, "now this one moves how again?" .. they've only played twice each so far.. Hopefully this will be something they can enjoy while I'm at work.

Growing up I joined USCF but I don't think I ever got enough games to get an "official" ranking. I want to say I was coming in around 1200 or so, but that was 20+ years ago. I'm sure I'm somewhere down around 400 now. :)

..dane
audiodane

Post by audiodane »

Wow, it's becoming a commodity.. Are y'all bidding it up trying to keep me from it?? about 10 hours to go, up to 12 bids and USD$17.. The odds are not "ever in my favor" on this one.. :(

oh well.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

You can try to snipe it.

audiodane

Post by audiodane »

(shhh.. don't give anybody else the same idea!) ;)
audiodane

Post by audiodane »

Oh bummer. I had forgotten that I changed my username. Long story short, somebody else had "audiodane" for years and years and years.. I finally got it when their account seems to have expired. I only changed to my desired username about two weeks ago, and while I input my max price to the sniper program, I totally forgot that I changed my username, so it was not able to snipe the listing. :(

oh well. next time..
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

We are all allowed the occasional brain fart.

Return to “Non-Sierra Games & Help”