Post by Collector »

I was just about ready to post about this. On Facebook John Williams said:
I know. Can't say. You'll like it
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: New "Sierra" intro at Sierra.com...

Post by Collector »

The site is owned by Activision, so it is legit. http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/08/08/sierr ... scom-2014/

DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Wow. Now this is interesting and exciting. There's no denying that's the Sierra emblem. :D

I can see why Activision is doing this now. TellTale's created a new interest in the Adventure genre (no matter what you think of their games, they have definitely brought Adventures into modern gaming) and with digital distribution, the costs -- and therefore financial risks -- are a lot less than they used to be years ago.

This also explains why Activision pulled the KQ remake/reboot from TellTale, and has allowed Jane Jensen to remake GK1.

It'd be so nice to see technologically advanced Adventure games with a good budget, as opposed to the craptastic titles (with a few exceptions) that've littered the genre.

Oh and Collector? If Sierra actually does return, and along with it comes remakes/reboots/new titles in their many Adventure series, you can bet this board will become a lot busier. ;)
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote: Oh and Collector? If Sierra actually does return, and along with it comes remakes/reboots/new titles in their many Adventure series, you can bet this board will become a lot busier. ;)
So very, very true.
Expack3
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Expack3 »

DeadPoolX wrote:It'd be so nice to see technologically advanced Adventure games with a good budget, as opposed to the craptastic titles (with a few exceptions) that've littered the genre.
I hope the new Sierra games are actually the former and aren't so twisted into being 'modern' that they're glorified interactive movies - not because interactive movies are automatically bad, per-say, but because Adventure games and interactive movies are two different genres.

If I may speculate, the new Sierra, if they do indeed make new Adventure games and/or remakes of classics, will likely try to emulate the TellTale style of Adventure games. That's the most popular right now, and given how major companies these days seem so risk-averse, I'd be surprised if they went retro in terms of mechanics.

If the new Sierra doesn't decide to emulate TellTale, but go for more retro adventure games (in mechanics, not in looks), I'd love to see some simplification of how to access all the commands (i.e. keep the complexity, reduce how hard it is to use that complexity). For example, I really love how in Daedalic Entertainment's games they've reduced the commands to a cool pie chart-like menu which you access simply by holding down the left mouse button over whatever you want to interact with. (You can best see it in action here) It even works when you're trying to combine items or use an item with another! I'd also love to see these new Adventure games, should they go fully 3D, to actually use the third dimension in puzzles! It's frustrated me to no end that most 3D Adventure games insist on sticking with the old 2D puzzle designs. In my opinion, if you're not going to use the third dimension in your 3D game, then I'd prefer a 2.5D approach as was done in Quest for Glory V.

Also, while we're dreaming of what could be coming, I'd still like to see a fully-3D series of Quest for Glory remakes with the hero's abilities and combat properly and sensibly expanded to utilize the third dimension. :D
You like manuals. You like manuals. You love them. You cannot resist manuals.
Your gameplay experience is meaningless without manuals.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Someone just found this at the end of the main script for the new site:
Main_js.png
Main_js.png (10.05 KiB) Viewed 40521 times
Geometry Wars -> Bizarre Creations -> Acquired by Activision and closed -> Senior developers form Lucid Games ->

http://www.lucidgames.co.uk/about-us/

DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Expack3 wrote:I hope the new Sierra games are actually the former and aren't so twisted into being 'modern' that they're glorified interactive movies - not because interactive movies are automatically bad, per-say, but because Adventure games and interactive movies are two different genres.
I think the reason they went with the "interactive movie" concept for some titles was because it fit them better. Now whether or not you liked the style is something else, but properties based on films and shows do work as interactive movies.
Expack3 wrote:If I may speculate, the new Sierra, if they do indeed make new Adventure games and/or remakes of classics, will likely try to emulate the TellTale style of Adventure games. That's the most popular right now, and given how major companies these days seem so risk-averse, I'd be surprised if they went retro in terms of mechanics.
I don't think they will. The TellTale games that've done this weren't based on any previous games; movies, TV shows, and comic books, perhaps, but not games. The Monkey Island and Sam & Max series, by TellTale, used a more traditional approach.

Also, if they used the "interactive movie" style, they'd simply get a ton of people yelling at them at how they "copied TellTale."

To give you an idea of how dumb some gamers are today, there were people who claimed (and by claimed I mean "yelling and screaming like children") that TellTale's The Walking Dead and A Wolf Among Us copied Borderlands because they all used cell-shaded graphics. What's actually funny about this, aside from how sad some gamers are, is that TellTale is actually doing a game based in the Borderlands universe.

Another example is that some gamers kicked up a fuss about a newer Adventure game (can't remember its name) because it used an art deco style for its graphics, and because of this, apparently the developer copied BioShock. I guess some gamers really believe that BioShock created art deco, whcih is again quite sad.

My last example is another new game (again, I can't remember its name) that features an attractive woman who resembles Veronica Lake and a detective that's reminiscent of Humphrey Bogart. The claim by gamers who've attacked it is that this game is copying Who Framed Roger Rabbit, because those two characters bare a passing resemblance to Eddie Valiant and Jessica Rabbit.

So I imagine Activision will want to avoid this ridiculousness if they can.
Expack3 wrote:Also, while we're dreaming of what could be coming, I'd still like to see a fully-3D series of Quest for Glory remakes with the hero's abilities and combat properly and sensibly expanded to utilize the third dimension. :D
Actually, QFG would be one of the last series I'd like to see remade. Not because I disliked them, but because there are so many good and technologically advanced RPGs available already. As good as QFG is, there's no way it could compete against something like Dragon Age: Inquisition, or even slightly older games, like Skyrim.

Instead, I see remaking the KQ series (or at least the first game to start off) as a better idea considering how fairy tales are so popular nowadays. I'd also like to see the Laura Bow games remade as well as the Gabriel Knight titles. Maybe even continue on to games like GK4 or something.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

It would be nice to see Sierra titles done (whether new or HD remakes) with a real budget. Outside of the management, most of the complaints people seemed to have about LSL Reloaded were from an inadequate budget.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I suspect King's Quest (because it was taken back from TellTale) and the image that was found, seems to be another clue.

I am not entirely sure it will be the King's Quest we all know and love. Perhaps it will. But I think DPX is right on the money - that right now, fantasy (for a younger audience) is back in "fad" - so I could see them doing something that's sort of a mix between Chronicles of Narnia, meets Harry Potter, meets Wrinkle in Time (which Disney is now in the works of making a movie), meets Black Cauldron (the book, not the original Sierra game).
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

And this just got posted (take it with a grain of salt...)

Retweeted Geoff Keighley (@geoffkeighley) :

Credible reports coming in that @theoddgentlemen is working on a new King's Quest game. #Sierra #GamesCom
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

I've already updated the SHP group on Steam by making an announcement and a new discussion thread. I've also added the Facebook page to the list of links on the right-hand side.

So hopefully that gets some people interested as well. :)
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Tawmis wrote:And this just got posted (take it with a grain of salt...)

Retweeted Geoff Keighley (@geoffkeighley) :

Credible reports coming in that @theoddgentlemen is working on a new King's Quest game. #Sierra #GamesCom
Oh, oh

misslilo
Caffeine Queen

Post by misslilo »

Hey guys!! Long time no see :)
I'm now known as "wowdane"
"You cannot escape your past, but you can make your future" - Diana Melkumova
Twitter/Steam/Twitch: @wowdane

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”