New "Sierra" intro at Sierra.com...

Talk about anything you want here
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: New "Sierra" intro at Sierra.com...

Post by Collector »

I have started to nurture a bit of purposeful tunnel vision. I am mostly just looking at the Sierra Gamers and SHP groups. Too many drive by posts from disconnected people and naysayers. On the other side, the new KQ group has become pretty active and not just about the reopening of Sierra.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote:I have started to nurture a bit of purposeful tunnel vision. I am mostly just looking at the Sierra Gamers and SHP groups. Too many drive by posts from disconnected people and naysayers. On the other side, the new KQ group has become pretty active and not just about the reopening of Sierra.
Well I think the problem (for me) is, a lot of people on my Facebook page are indeed Sierra fans. So even if I am not in a group or facebook page they're posting on, it still does:

"Sierra_Fan_01 posted in Sierra_Related_Group_Slash_Page
ZOMG! SIERRA.COMZ IZ REALZ! ZOMG! DID ANYONE HEARZ ABOUT DIS?"

And I'm like, "Yeah. Like 40 times now. And look, the page you're posting on - has had 10 other people posting the same exact thing. Way to $^%*ing read."

But then, I don't feel like I am as happy as a person as I used to be. It takes much less to annoy the $#!+ out of me. :Furious:
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Git offa ma lawn!!!! :lol: :D

I tend to not pay that much attention my feed as much as the groups. I don't feel the need to keep unfollowing FB friends to stop toxic knuckle draggery garbage from filling my feed if I don't read the feed.

Expack3
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Expack3 »

Collector wrote:Git offa ma lawn!!!! :lol: :D

I tend to not pay that much attention my feed as much as the groups. I don't feel the need to keep unfollowing FB friends to stop toxic knuckle draggery garbage from filling my feed if I don't read the feed.
You should try reading video game industry sites like gamesindustry.biz or Gamasutra. Those sites - especially Gamasutra these days - seem to be filled with the most arrogant, self-centered, and anti-big-business people. The worst part? Their target audience is supposed to be professionals in the video game industry!
You like manuals. You like manuals. You love them. You cannot resist manuals.
Your gameplay experience is meaningless without manuals.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Even if the target is one group doesn't mean that that group is the only one. The kids are all over the internet and are arrogant in their ignorance.

DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Collector wrote:Even if the target is one group doesn't mean that that group is the only one. The kids are all over the internet and are arrogant in their ignorance.
Unfortunately, the Internet is a haven for the misinformed, spreading rumors and hearsay, oblivious to any forms of education and factual information.
Attachments
isaac-asimov-anti-intelluctualism-political-cultural-life.jpg
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Honest Abe Said It The Best, Honestly!

:lol:
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

DeadPoolX wrote:
Collector wrote:Even if the target is one group doesn't mean that that group is the only one. The kids are all over the internet and are arrogant in their ignorance.
Unfortunately, the Internet is a haven for the misinformed, spreading rumors and hearsay, oblivious to any forms of education and factual information.
Brilliant quote.

The other problem is the anonymity internet encourages kids, idiots and assholes to be as rude and insulting as they want to be in ways they would never dare face to face. For several decades after making such fools of themselves during the Scopes Monkey Trial, the idiots were too embarrassed to pontificate. Now the lunatics are trying to run the asylum.

Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Tawmis wrote:Honest Abe Said It The Best, Honestly!

:lol:
This trick usually uses Einstein.

In any case, the Asimov quote is real, even if slightly off. the actual quote comes from a column in Newsweek 21 January 21, 1980:
Isaac Asimov wrote:There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.
http://media.aphelis.net/wp-content/upl ... orance.pdf

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I always loved what Bill Hicks said about anti-intellectualism. (And if you haven't heard him, do yourself a favour and listen - the man's comedy is brilliant). ;)
Bill Hicks wrote: You know, I've noticed a certain anti-intellectualism going around this country ever since around 1980, coincidentally enough. I was in Nashville, Tennessee last weekend and after the show I went to a waffle house - I'm not proud of it, but I was hungry - and I'm sitting there and I'm eating and reading a book. I don't know anybody, I'm alone, I'm eating and I'm reading a book.

This waitress comes over to me (mocks chewing gum) 'What you readin' for?'...wow, I've never been asked that; not 'What am I reading', 'What am I reading for?' Well, goddamnit, you stumped me...I guess I read for a lot of reasons — the main one is so I don't end up being a f***in' waffle waitress. Yeah, that would be pretty high on the list.

Then this trucker in the booth next to me gets up, stands over me and says [mocks Southern drawl] 'Well, looks like we got ourselves a readah'...aahh, what the f$@%'s goin' on? It's like I walked into a Klan rally in a Boy George costume or something. Am I stepping out of some intellectual closet here? I read! There, I said it. I feel better.
Expack3
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Expack3 »

Getting back on-topic, it seems at least one person thinks Activision is trying to play up the publisher aspect of Sierra Games. If they are, then with the glut of self-publishing and self-funding options available these days, not to mention the console makers - including Nintendo - are courting independent developers directly, then what makes developing a Sierra Games IP so special?

Honestly, it sounds like the guys who are pointing this out are really nitpicking. Activision has said in their interview with VentureBeat that they'd be trying to court independent developers who love the classic Sierra games - in other words, they're aware that the publishing angle is nothing more than part of the agreement to develop an IP that the developer loves. And if it turns out the developers are able to crank out some well-performing games (either in terms of profit and acclaim), then it might make the deal a bit more palatable for some of the nay-sayers; furthermore, Sierra Games could also start licencing out their IP as an alternative to having a publishing deal so that those independent developers who want to develop, say, a new Space Quest game, but would rather self-publish can do both.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

King's Quest Logo thing is now up:

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

So it is. However, I have to take exception to Sierra calling King Graham "the greatest adventurer to ever live". ;)

(In Daventry, perhaps?) ;)
Expack3
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Expack3 »

Rath Darkblade wrote:So it is. However, I have to take exception to Sierra calling King Graham "the greatest adventurer to ever live". ;)

Gotta make King Graham marketable to the modern masses somehow. :P
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Rath Darkblade wrote:So it is. However, I have to take exception to Sierra calling King Graham "the greatest adventurer to ever live". ;)

Given the history and significance of the series (and not just to Sierra) that statement is not so outrageous.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”