Introduce Yourself!

Notices and what's new on SHP and the forums
nickherc
Sierra Fan Wanna Be

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Post by nickherc »

Hello everyone! My name is Nick and I'm from Slovenia. I fell in love with adventure games, while I was a kid, playing legends like Larry Laffer series, Space Quest and Monkey Island. I love the genre, it's smart, funny, charismatic and with no violence. It's kinda like reading a great book, that sticks with you :) . That would be all for now :).
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

nickherc wrote:Hello everyone! My name is Nick and I'm from Slovenia. I fell in love with adventure games, while I was a kid, playing legends like Larry Laffer series, Space Quest and Monkey Island. I love the genre, it's smart, funny, charismatic and with no violence. It's kinda like reading a great book, that sticks with you :) . That would be all for now :).
Welcome to the forums, hope you survive the experience!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Greetings! ;)

--Rath Darkblade <------------ a man of few words :P
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Hello, nice to meet you!
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Luinath
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Luinath »

Welcome to the forum Nick, hope you like it here.
Corwim
Al who?

Post by Corwim »

Hi everyone, another newbie joins the forum! :)

I grew up playing a lot of Sierra's games, especially the adventure games. King's Quest IV is the one that got me hooked on gaming (I was 8, didn't understand a word of English, but just exploring this intriguing world on my pc blew my mind!), and King's Quest VI is the first Sierra game I bought myself (I was about 11 at the time, still with a very limited knowledge of English, but quickly improving thanks to these games), and that's where my interest in collecting Sierra games really began, although I didn't realise it at the time. The amount of fantastic content in that box was just amazing! And then the game itself, I played it for weeks on end, with a dictionary in my lap, step by step discovering the Green Isles, unlocking its secrets and ultimately saving the princess, and having so much fun in the process. 8-)

During the mid to late 90s then, I hunted down every new Sierra game in stores I could find (and could afford lol, was still living on a very modest student budget back then ;) ). Gabriel Knight 2 and 3, Rama, Shivers 2, Lighthouse, Torin's Passage, Larry 7, the KQ 15th anniversary collection, the Roberta Williams anthology, and a bunch more, bought them all as soon as they hit store shelves. 8-) I'm soooooo glad now that, despite moving house about 6 times since the 90s, I always held on to all my big box games, floppies, cd-roms and all their content too (think I have about 50 big box Sierra games, next to about 100 non-Sierra 8-) ). They're not in perfect condition (they were played a LOT ;) ), and nothing compared to some of the collections I've seen on here, but still having them all together in a big bookcase now feels fantastic, and now with the help from this site, I can actually play them again on my new pc! 8-)

When time passed and new Windows versions arrived, I noticed I couldn't play my favourite games anymore. Add to that the decline of adventure games, my favourite genre, in general, and I ended up not playing much games in the 00s. That is, until I discovered gog.com last year, and happily noticed that they also sold a lot of the classic Sierra games, and even better, tweaked them so they ran on modern OS systems, yay! I looked around a bit more and ran across DOSBox. Quickly realised though that I couldn't make heads or tails out of it (and I tried lol, my mind just can't comprehend it, even after people gave me step by step instructions :D ). So on went the google search, until I arrived here! :) Wanted to try it out with a game I have such fond memories of, so downloaded the Rama installer, and lo and behold, it worked! I'm playing Rama again, on my Win8 laptop!!! You have no idea what an excited moment it was to first see that gold Sierra logo on screen again, followed by the main menu of the game, with those three orbs/globe thingies activating! 8-) It's been more than 15 years since I've seen that outside of youtube!!! Oh, me thinks with the help of this website, there's a whooooole lot of fun gaming times ahead of me, rediscovering all the games in my Sierra collection! And in addition, to start hunting down the games I missed back in the day, ebay here I come! :D

Thank you for this website and its forum, and I'm looking forward to meeting you all on here! :)
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

A big welcome to SHP to you.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Welkom, bienvenue here at SHP!
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Corwim wrote:Hi everyone, another newbie joins the forum! :)
I grew up playing a lot of Sierra's games, especially the adventure games. King's Quest IV is the one that got me hooked on gaming
Thank you for this website and its forum, and I'm looking forward to meeting you all on here! :)
Welcome to the forum! KQIV is the perfect game to hook someone! Love KQ4!
Corwim
Al who?

Post by Corwim »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! :)
Tawmis wrote:
Corwim wrote:Hi everyone, another newbie joins the forum! :)
I grew up playing a lot of Sierra's games, especially the adventure games. King's Quest IV is the one that got me hooked on gaming
Welcome to the forum! KQIV is the perfect game to hook someone! Love KQ4!
It absolutely is! :) I remember being stuck for the longest time trying to find the whale in the ocean, and being oh so scared going through the caves behind the waterfall, trying to avoid that monster in there. Aaaah, good times! 8-)
Luinath
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Luinath »

Welcome to the forum Corwim, hope you like it here.
Corwim
Al who?

Post by Corwim »

Thanks Luinath! I'm sure I will! :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Willkommen, bienvenue; welcome, come on in. ;)
Corwim
Al who?

Post by Corwim »

Rath Darkblade wrote:Willkommen, bienvenue; welcome, come on in. ;)
Whoops, missed your message on my last visit. :oops: Thank you for the warm, multilingual welcome! :)
The Jolly Roger
Sierra Obsessed

Post by The Jolly Roger »

I started when I was too young to read watching my older siblings play Space Quest, King's Quest, and Police Quest. The greatest challenge was typing "give id" and then immediately "get grenade." Good times.

I have recently picked up most of the old games. I've run through the Space Quests and QfG series again. I had never played SQVI... THAT was an experience...

I also was a fan of the obscure BIRTHRIGHT:The Gorgon's Alliance... but I had played the pen and paper version and so it made perfect sense. I was impressed with their take on the AD&D 2nd edition rules for adventuring. Good times.

That is me in summary. I'll be stickin' to the code for being here. ;)

-The Jolly Roger

Return to “Announcements”