Gold Rush!

Can't seem to find your chunk of gold? This forum just might be the map you need!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Gold Rush!

Post by Tawmis »

Gold Rush! Anniversary digital release is delayed for one week!

Today Sunlight Games announced that the release of its digital version of Gold Rush! Anniversary is delayed for one week to November 7th, 2014.

Sunlight Games wants to use the time to make the game perfect.

The DRM-free retail box of Gold Rush! Anniversary is still going to be published mid-November.

People who had pre order the game, get a mail after we shipped the order.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Marco sent me their press release about this, but I had not gotten around to posting about it.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tinuviel
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Tinuviel »

It just showed up in the Steam store. No pricing listed, though.
adeyke
Oldbie

Post by adeyke »

It's now for sale on Steam. The pre-discount price is a ridiculous $35.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

adeyke wrote:It's now for sale on Steam. The pre-discount price is a ridiculous $35.
I agree, it's too much. I can appreciate the amount of work that went into the remake, but it's still a relatively simple game with simple mechanics.

That said, some people thought they were pulling a fast one on the developer by buying the special edition upgrade. They thought it was the entire game for $5, and now that they've realized their mistake (and in the process blaming the developer for their own problems) they're demanding the entire game as "compensation" for their grief at purchasing an add-on that's worthless without the main game.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
adeyke
Oldbie

Post by adeyke »

The store page was set up wrong. At the time, it was just labeled "Gold Rush! Anniversary Special Edition", with no mention of it just being an upgrade, and it wasn't marked as a DLC, so you could buy it without buying the base game. So from looking at the store page, it looked like there was just a pricing error. Those do sometimes happen on Steam (in both directions), and they way they normally work is that, if you buy something for less than it was supposed to cost, you still get to keep it. For example, Tropico 4 was once on sale for 99% off instead of the intended 85%, but people who got in before they fixed were able to just get it for that cheap.

In this case, though, what looked like a pricing error was instead people being able to spend $5 to get a mislabeled DLC, which they couldn't use without also paying $35 for the game. I can understand why people would be upset at that. They should, at the very least, be able to get a refund.

To be honest, though, with the game looking the way it does, even $5 would still be a bit much for me.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Oh, I agree they should get a refund, but I don't think they should get the entire game free. At absolute most, they should get a higher discount on the game itself.

I guess my issue is there were quite a few people who bought numerous copies (some as much as 20 or more) to trade with other people. It's their right to buy whatever they want, but they clearly did this with the goal of taking advantage of the developer's mistake. Given that they're a small studio, I can see why they wouldn't want to activate dozens of games in that situation. The overall loss in revenue would be astounding and might cause them to declare bankruptcy.

Let's be honest, there's no way anyone (other than a complete and total idiot) would believe that a special edition of a game would be selling for roughly an eighth of the cost of the regular edition. The gamers who bought multiple copies were taking advantage of the situation and because they were caught doing so, they're upset and screaming like children to be given something they don't have a right to own.

Steam's a platform that has massive sales all the time, especially around the holidays which are right around the corner. If someone can't wait a month or so to get a game in a good sale, then either buy it at full price (which it isn't at right now anyway) or don't get it.

I'm sick and tired of all these whiny, childish self-entitled assholes online who believe they're owed something for nothing. f*ck them.

(Just so you know, I'm not saying you or anyone else here is one of those shitheads.)
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

DeadPoolX wrote: I'm sick and tired of all these whiny, childish self-entitled assholes online who believe they're owed something for nothing. f*ck them.
^ This is why I no longer go to so many gaming forums. Amen.
QuestCollector
Sierra Veteran

Post by QuestCollector »

adeyke wrote:It's now for sale on Steam. The pre-discount price is a ridiculous $35.
I agree. Obviously going to wait on a sale for this one, if I ever decide to get it. Looking at SteamCharts, this game isn't selling well at all right now and it's a shame because of all the effort put into the game. People were simply just out-priced here. I wonder why $34.99?
DeadPoolX wrote:I'm sick and tired of all these whiny, childish self-entitled assholes online who believe they're owed something for nothing. f*ck them.
Absolutely agree here too. People knew they were exploiting this, trying to buy several copies for trade.

Return to “The Gold Rush Games”