MoE, KQ or Not?

Is the game being a ROYAL pain? Need a hint? Got a problem? This is the place to discuss King's Quest!
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Re: MoE, KQ or Not?

Post by DeadPoolX »

Perhaps one of the largest differences between MoE and the other KQ titles was the main character. While we all know Conner wasn't part of the royal family (and was something of a loser), perhaps his upbringing influenced his actions.

Connor was a commoner. He lived in Daventry and worked for a living. Life was probably hard and I doubt he had any formal education. He was taught a trade and that brawn won out over brains.

In contrast, the royal family was wealthy and didn't have to worry about life -- except for the occasional quest. I'm sure most, if not all of them, were highly educated. Even Graham, who was not originally royalty, was a knight. That meant he was from the upper echelon of society and probably received some education.

In a difficult situation, Conner would most likely resort to violence. Maybe he'd prefer otherwise, but it's all he really knows. He might be an excellent swordsman, but his negotiation skills and overall ability to communicate would be limited.

Graham, Valenice, Alexander and Rosella knew how to talk their way out of a sticky situation. While violence sometimes occurred, all four of them would generally have other methods to utilize first.

I doubt any of the above was taken into consideration when developing MoE, but the above is a nice rationalization. At the very least, perhaps thinking such would allow die-hard adventure fans to accept the basis behind MoE and its main protagonist.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)

Return to “The King's Quest Series”