Industry Award.

Talk about anything you want here
adeyke
Oldbie

Re: Industry Award.

Post by adeyke »

While I've played all the Monkey Island games, I've never played Maniac Mansion.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Rath Darkblade wrote:
DeadPoolX wrote:
Rath Darkblade wrote:How touching. :) Yes, I still remember playing Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island 1. Let's be honest - who hasn't played these two? ;)
Honestly? Probably millions of gamers, many of whom would consider a game that's a year old to be ancient, let alone titles that were released long before they conceived through a combination of poor decisions and copious amounts of alcohol.
Really? Some people think that a year old game is ancient?!? :roll:

I can still remember Space Invaders from 1978. I played it in 1980, when I was 4 years old. Now that is ancient. ;)
I've actually come across gamers who've felt that six months makes a game "old."

To be fair, some of these gamers are quite young, so proportionally speaking, six months or a year is a bigger chunk of their lives than it would be of ours.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
adeyke
Oldbie

Post by adeyke »

There are different contexts, in which terms like "old" mean different things. If someone is excitedly talking about a game they thing was just released, and it turns that game was actually released half a year ago, that does make it "old". On the other hand, if we're talking about games in general, the idea that a computer could be involved is a very recent innovation (i.e. compared to chess or Go, even Pong couldn't be called "old").
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

adeyke wrote:While I've played all the Monkey Island games, I've never played Maniac Mansion.
What, never??? *faints* Well, there's no excuse! It's a classic in the adventure game genre. Here is a free remake. :)
adeyke wrote:There are different contexts, in which terms like "old" mean different things. If someone is excitedly talking about a game they thing was just released, and it turns that game was actually released half a year ago, that does make it "old". On the other hand, if we're talking about games in general, the idea that a computer could be involved is a very recent innovation (i.e. compared to chess or Go, even Pong couldn't be called "old").
Good point. Chess and Go are thousands of years old, and people still play them.
adeyke
Oldbie

Post by adeyke »

I don't need an excuse not to have played it or not to play it now. Rather, I would need a reason to play it, and I just don't see it. It's a very primitive game, even with that remake. I have no personal associations it. And given the potential deaths and unwinnable states, I don't think I'd have fun playing it. So, why would I want to play it?
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Rath Darkblade wrote:
adeyke wrote:While I've played all the Monkey Island games, I've never played Maniac Mansion.
What, never??? *faints* Well, there's no excuse! It's a classic in the adventure game genre.
Says the man who refuses to play KQ6. You know what they say about glass houses.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote:
Rath Darkblade wrote:
What, never??? *faints* Well, there's no excuse! It's a classic in the adventure game genre.
Says the man who refuses to play KQ6. You know what they say about glass houses.
Hold up - why refuse to play KQ6?
:|
Rudy
Village Elder

Post by Rudy »

It's ok not to play Maniac Mansion, but there's no excuse not to play King's Quest 6. PERIOD! :lol:

Then again, perhaps I'm not entirely objective :P
Sierra Chest creator, Sierra collector/curator.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote:
Collector wrote:
Rath Darkblade wrote:
Hold up - why refuse to play KQ6?
:|
I don't understand it either. I don't remember saying that I'd refuse to play KQ6. :(

(Note that I'm saying that I don't remember saying it. I might have said it years and years ago. I might also have changed my mind since then). :)

Having said that, I played KQ1, KQ3, and KQ5 - and I finished KQ3 (through gritted teeth) and KQ5 (through even more gritted teeth). Cedric needs to bugger off and find someone else to bully, er, 'advise'. :x I wish I could wring his neck! :x Grumble, moan, complain. :P
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

You have been urged to play KQ6 a number of times and you have dismissed it. It is a very different beast than KQ5.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Having said that, I played KQ1, KQ3, and KQ5 - and I finished KQ3 (through gritted teeth) and KQ5 (through even more gritted teeth). Cedric needs to bugger off and find someone else to bully, er, 'advise'. :x I wish I could wring his neck! :x Grumble, moan, complain. :P
KQ3 was the most difficult, without a doubt. KQ5 has the greatest annoyance (because once you get away from Manahahahahahahahaha in KQ3, you're free of him; where as Cedric is with you throughout KQ5). However, if you have gotten that far, I'd highly recommend KQ6. Everyone hails it the best of the series. (I still think KQ4 is, but I am in the minority! If KQ4 had KQ6 graphics and music, it'd be even more epic!) But yes, play KQ6. You will be very, very, very pleasantly surprised how good every aspect of the game is (graphics, story, music and puzzles).
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Arguably, 4 and 6 are the best of the series, though not everyone will agree. Some will cite 3 since it was the first to have a real narrative, not just a bare framework of an idea for which to hang the puzzles. 4 was the first SCI version. SCI let them do so much more to enhance the game with better graphics and a real music track. 5 brought 256 colors with the VGA graphics of SCI1 and a full digital soundtrack complete with speech. 6 brought the best puzzles, story and dialog (written by Jane Jensen). it also had a great music sound track by Chris Braymen. I did not care for the shift to Disney cartoon style of 7, though many did.

In any case 1, 3 and 5 alone can not give you a very representative view of the series.

adeyke
Oldbie

Post by adeyke »

All of the games have their flaws, but I very much agree that, if we're only talking about the official games, 4 and 6 are the best ones. KQ6 is just beautiful, and there are some very touching moments.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

Collector wrote:You have been urged to play KQ6 a number of times and you have dismissed it. It is a very different beast than KQ5.
So what? Who says he has to play KQ6 or any game in particular?

I've tried playing KQ6, but never gotten very far. I don't feel I'm missing out on anything, just as I'm sure some other people here don't feel like they're missing out by not playing some games I've really enjoyed in the past.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

If you read the whole thread I brought it up only because he chastised adeyke for not not wanting to play Maniac Mansion. You know, glass houses.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”