Pics from GK2 which I never saw in the game.

Voodoo got the best of you? Need a hint? Want to talk about Gabriel Knight? This is the place to do it!
rsnel
Noob

Pics from GK2 which I never saw in the game.

Post by rsnel »

Hi everybody,

Yesterday I used the tool "SCI resource viewer", to extract some pics of GK2.
I came across pics which I have never seen in the game, so I thought to share them with you.

As most people know, the game GK2 is slimmed down.
Original the game should have 8 chapters instead of 6, but the project was getting a bit expensive, so they cut down the project to 6 chapters.
The first picture is the front of Schloss Herrenchiemsee, where you can find the King Ludwig 2 museum.
I have no idea where the last picture has been taken.
Maybe it's from the "lost chapters" from the game :)

For me GK2 is the best game ever created, the story is just amazing.
I'm a lucky person to go on holiday to Bavaria every year, and I just love Munich and the Bavarian Alps.
Especially the story of King Ludwig II is amazing.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Pics from GK2 which I never saw in the game.

Post by Tawmis »

Wonder if Jane would remember what those screens were from / intended for?
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Hello there, nice to see another GK fan!
That last one could be Altötting or St George's in Rittersberg... it looks a bit like St George's but I don't recall so many buildings around that...

The SCI Viewer's great, huh? If you're interested in game digging I can recommend Akril's website on it:
http://akril15.com/sr/SierraResources.html

I do my share of digging as well, primarily to make scripts for the game. My first was GK3 - and digging through that was so incredibly rewarding I got stuck doing a lot more of them! All GKs, all LSLs, KQ 2 to 7, both Laura Bows, Gold Rush, Black Cauldron, Torin's Passage, Freddy Pharkas... They're all available here on this forum.
At my website I have one page dedicated to deleted files from GK3, http://bonny.ploeg.ws/gk3secret.html

GK2 doesn't have much of a back end that's still visible , especially compared to GK3: besides the ones you found, it appears that you're once able to look out your window at the lodge and remark at the driveway that it's "bigger than the street I lived on in New Orleans".
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

rsnel wrote:Especially the story of King Ludwig II is amazing.
It really is, isn't it? ;) Some years ago, I tried writing a short biography of Ludwig II. The more research I did into his life and death, the more amazed I became. It's very strange that even 100 years after his death, the Bavarian State archives still won't release some documents connected with his death. Something to hide, maybe?

And welcome to the forums, rsnel! :)
el_pombo
Sierra Obsessed

Post by el_pombo »

Rath Darkblade wrote:
rsnel wrote:Especially the story of King Ludwig II is amazing.
It really is, isn't it? ;) Some years ago, I tried writing a short biography of Ludwig II. The more research I did into his life and death, the more amazed I became. It's very strange that even 100 years after his death, the Bavarian State archives still won't release some documents connected with his death. Something to hide, maybe?

And welcome to the forums, rsnel! :)
Probably!

Just as an example, I've been working on the Jack the Ripper case for years and you'd be surprised by the amount of information Scotland Yard still refuses to release 128 years after the murders. They claim it's to protect the identity of police informants (from 1888?!?!?) but many people suspect something's being deliberately kept secret from the public!
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Hey, a fellow Ripperologist! Great! :D
The entire case is dumbfounding - what struck me most is that a lot of evidence was stolen by people working on the case, as souvenir.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
OmerMor
Sierra Obsessed

Post by OmerMor »

I briefly looked up these room pictures (8148, 8520, 8701) in the scripts.
Only 8520 had a corresponding script, so I tried teleporting there (using the CLASSES method described here).
Here's what I got:
gk2_room_8520.png
Trying to choose any of the options fails, so it was probably not fully implemented.
The views of Georg and Grace used in this room are 21520 and 21519. I don't know if they're used anywhere else.
el_pombo
Sierra Obsessed

Post by el_pombo »

BBP wrote:Hey, a fellow Ripperologist! Great! :D
The entire case is dumbfounding - what struck me most is that a lot of evidence was stolen by people working on the case, as souvenir.
Unbelievable! :D We have to create a JTR thread here on the sierra forums! I wouldn't be surprised it there's more Ripperologists around these parts, everyone here likes puzzles!

Those souvenirs are actually one of the reasons that make me think the case can still be solved. There's still evidence to be found, probably stored in an attic somewhere, in family memorabilia or god knows where but, in all likelihood, it still exists.

I also still entertain the possibility that the murdered was caught by the police and, for some reason, they decided to keep it quiet. If that's what happened, then his/her identity can probably be found in Scotland Yard or Home Office files - for me, that's the best bet!
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

OmerMor wrote:I briefly looked up these room pictures (8148, 8520, 8701) in the scripts.
Only 8520 had a corresponding script, so I tried teleporting there (using the CLASSES method described here).
Here's what I got:

Trying to choose any of the options fails, so it was probably not fully implemented.
The views of Georg and Grace used in this room are 21520 and 21519. I don't know if they're used anywhere else.
Or you could reference your entry on the SCI Wiki http://sciwiki.sierrahelp.com//index.ph ... l_Knight_2
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

OmerMor
Sierra Obsessed

Post by OmerMor »

You're right, but I usually just Google for [sci debug mode] and continue with the first result...
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

There is a 'Debugging' category link in the navigation panel on the Wiki. The 'SCI Debug Modes' link on it takes you to your page.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

rsnel
Noob

Post by rsnel »

I found the actually town of the third picture of the first post
It is the town hall of Wasserburg am Inn (thanks http://realrittersberg.solidsilver.de/)

The door of the town hall is actually used in the game as the doors of the church of Rittersburg
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Nice finds! Pretty building!

The thing about JTR's stolen evidence is you're going to need additional proof of the provenance of the item, like the michaelmas scarf that was instrumental in that weird DNA testing that popped up in 2014.
Skip to new scripts
el_pombo
Sierra Obsessed

Post by el_pombo »

BBP wrote:Nice finds! Pretty building!

The thing about JTR's stolen evidence is you're going to need additional proof of the provenance of the item, like the michaelmas scarf that was instrumental in that weird DNA testing that popped up in 2014.
Yeah, there's a lot of sensationalism and made up evidence just to sell books! I seriously doubt any DNA analysis could be conclusive after 128 years of all sorts of contamination. Police records authenticity, on the other end, probably wouldn't be very hard to verify and those records could go as far as to name the killer in case the police actually caught him/her. The fact that the yard spent a great amount of money not to release those records gives way to all sorts of speculation.

My theory is that at least one of the victims (Eddowes) wasn't murdered in the place she was found (and probably others) and that the murderer almost surely had an accomplice - there was even a full pardon issued to any accomplice right after the last canonical victim - if we take into account the social and political context of Victorian London, one is compelled to think that if the police caught the killer and the government decided to keep it from the public, then the murderer was probably with the police or had a social status that could not be put into question for the sake of the monarchy.

Of course, I can't prove any of this because it's all circumstantial and "my" theory isn't even original aside from the method I'm using to reinforce the idea that it was almost impossible for Eddowes to have been murdered in Mitre Square, nevertheless, I think the only way to definitively prove this, would be by accessing police records or by an enormous stroke of luck by finding verifiable evidence hidden in family records.
rsnel
Noob

Post by rsnel »

There are many language versions of GK2, English, German, Français, Italian.
Does anybody know if there are differences between these versions.
Like extra places you can visit, extra storyline, extra music of sound (or extra hidden images).

For example: The English Gabriel Knight Mysteries version has some larger .vmd files.
It seems the audio bitrate of the mysteries version is higher than the original English version I have.
Why? I don't know.

The Italian DVD version is the last version of GK2 released.
Maybe there is some nice extra information hidden in that game (or not).

Return to “The Gabriel Knight Series”