Board (Bored?) Games!

Talk about anything you want here
Moon Dragon
Sierra Veteran

Re: Board (Bored?) Games!

Post by Moon Dragon »

Board games have come a long way since monopoly and ludo. Nowadays, board/Card games are designed to be more about skill and less about random chance. I'm not good a decribing Things briefly, so if it seems too complicated, it's probably due to my desciption, and not the game itself :-).

If you like werewolf, you might enjoy these aswell:

- Noir: The specific rules are different depending on how many players you are. For instance it can be a cop trying to catch a thief, or even a murdere or spies trying to outfox each other. The gist of the game is that you have a certain amount of Cards representing people. you each then have a specific person that you are. If you're playing cop vs murdere for instance, the cop needs to capture the murdere, while the murdere needs to either kill the cop or x amount of people.

- Battlestar Galactica: Based on the remake, you take on the role of one of the characters from the show. When you begin, you each draw a card determining whether you're human or a cylon. You do this again later, so potentially none of you are cylons when you begin. The idea is that yoy need to manage the ship, while trying to survive cylon attacks and root out the potential cylon. The cyllon needs to sabotage the mission without getting caught. Alternatively, the cylon later gets the option of revealing themselves, Thus getting acces to a Whole new set of moves.

- Secret Hitler: (The game hasn't come out yet, but you can download a free print and play version on their site)
Basically one person is hitler, one or more (depending on the number of players) are facists helping hitler and the rest are liberals. The facists are the only ones who know who hitler is aswell as eachother. You take turns being the presidential candidate and you nominate a chanselor. If yoy get elected you Draw 3 policy cards, discard one. He then gives the rest to the chanselor who also discards one and the remaining policy is then played. A policy can be either liberal or facists. The first to get a certain number of policies in their favor wins. The liberals also win if hitler gets shot and the facists win if hitler is elected as chanselor and they have at least 3 policies. However, depending on how many facists cards have been played, the president gets certain benefits as a one time use. For instance a bullet to "shoot" someone with or the ability to look at the top three cards. So it can be beneficial to the liberals to pass a facists policy at certain times.

Others:

- Dominion is a deck builder. Everyone starts of with the same small deck, and then you slowly "buy" better Cards in order to get the most Victory points in the end. As long as you have one of the base games, you can pretty much mix and match with any of the other versions and/or expansions, so it has great replayability.

- Battlewizards: Basically you make spells in order to kill your enemies or heal yourself. A spell can have a begining, a middle and an end, but does not need to have all three. Each card also has an element, which usually determins it's strengh.

- Recently it seems there's a new trend of making card games about the players convincing each other that their "product" is the best. For instance in Superfight you make a super hero, in Billionaire Banshee you make a date for each other, in Snake Oil you actually make a product for a specific clientele. Some of them only rely on your agumentative abilities, while in others, you also get to "ruin" one of your competitors pitch, by adding something negative to it. Some of them also have differently themed addons, so if you like anime ;-) or kittens or whatever, you can mix and match new Cards into the original game.

- Elder Sign Arkham and Eldritch Horror both have steep learning curves. Elder sign however, is so much simpler and it's easier to remember even if you haven't played for a while.

- Fluxx: Make up the rules as you go, pure and simple. You have a basic set of rules, but among the cards you can Draw and play additional rules that change the game. It comes in so many variations, it should be easy to find one you like. For instance I have Monty Python Fluxx. I even think you can mix and match as you like.

- Gloom: You have a Family and the idea is to make them as misserable as possible and then kill them off. At the same time you want to make the other players families happier before they die. When all the members of one faily has doed, the game ends.The person with the most negative points win.

- Guillotine: You are all executioners trying to boast about the notable people you have killed. Take turns killing the person first in line, use Cards to change Things around. Will you be hero of the people that killed Marie Antoinette or the evildoer who killed the well liked Martyr.

- Dread: A bit like a simplified Horror tabletop rpg, but instead of rolling dice, you play jenga. Whenever you narrate something crucial, you pull out a block. If the Tower falls, you fail, often with horrifying consequences. The idea is that pulling out a block will result in the same(ish) kind of stress as the narration conveys.

- Fiasco: Basically you roll some dice to determine basic stuf in a story, such as location, relationships and so on. Then you take turn acting out scenes with one of the other players, as if you were actors playing a role. The others then decide whether the outcome was beneficial for you or not and you get either a good or a bad die. In the end you all get sort of an epilogue depending on your given dice and the "Winner" is whomever got the best ending. The idea is that you all tell a story together, about overreaching people with their own agendas. Usually it all ends badly for everyone involved, Thus the name. This also comes in variations, most free to find online. For instance the clasical story is about gangsters, but you can also find a version about adventurers in a tavern trying to divide their loot.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Moon Dragon wrote:Board games have come a long way since monopoly and ludo. Nowadays, board/Card games are designed to be more about skill and less about random chance. I'm not good a decribing Things briefly, so if it seems too complicated, it's probably due to my desciption, and not the game itself :-).
- Fluxx: Make up the rules as you go, pure and simple. You have a basic set of rules, but among the cards you can Draw and play additional rules that change the game. It comes in so many variations, it should be easy to find one you like. For instance I have Monty Python Fluxx. I even think you can mix and match as you like.
I have two versions of FLUXX... Pirate Fluxx (naturally) and I think the core Fluxx game. :)
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Shawn Sharp, (of Heart of China, Starsiege, Willy Beamish, Space Quest 5 ,etc. fame) is involved with creating an official digital online version of Gloom. http://www.skyshipstudios.com/gloom
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Wil Wheaton on tabletop Gloom

Moon Dragon
Sierra Veteran

Post by Moon Dragon »

If you like Clue, you might want to check out a new game I just heard of called Mysterium. As far as I understand, it's Clue with a twist. Instead of each person solving the murder alone, you work together. One player, however is a ghost giving vague hints to you in the form of illustrated cards.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Moon Dragon wrote:If you like Clue, you might want to check out a new game I just heard of called Mysterium. As far as I understand, it's Clue with a twist. Instead of each person solving the murder alone, you work together. One player, however is a ghost giving vague hints to you in the form of illustrated cards.
Thanks for the tip! Not sure if I'll go for it since getting three people around a table in the house for Clue is a nightmare...
I usually end up playing Rummikub. Today I played Monopoly with my sister. Game was cut short because her favourite TV-show was starting. Making us both winners.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote:Wil Wheaton on tabletop Gloom
I wish I could get the same amount of creative people to do this, and make it as fun as it he made it...
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Might be more possible with Shawn Sharp's online digital version.

Moon Dragon
Sierra Veteran

Post by Moon Dragon »

BBP wrote:
Moon Dragon wrote:If you like Clue, you might want to check out a new game I just heard of called Mysterium. As far as I understand, it's Clue with a twist. Instead of each person solving the murder alone, you work together. One player, however is a ghost giving vague hints to you in the form of illustrated cards.
Thanks for the tip! Not sure if I'll go for it since getting three people around a table in the house for Clue is a nightmare...
I usually end up playing Rummikub. Today I played Monopoly with my sister. Game was cut short because her favourite TV-show was starting. Making us both winners.
If you're only playing 2 or 3, then the psychics each play 2 people. I bought Mysterium and we have tried it a couple of times. It's fun, but I do think it would be better if we could be more than 2 players. So far it's only me and my bf, and we tried once with my Brother in law aswell. It's harder than you'd think being the ghost, because you have to really look at the Cards in order to find something that fits.
Moon Dragon
Sierra Veteran

Post by Moon Dragon »

Tawm: You might like the theme of this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0536RUasM0
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Moon Dragon wrote:Tawm: You might like the theme of this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0536RUasM0
I might have to check this out! :)

There's a game my friend Nick had us play that was similar to this... Ugh. Can't remember the name. (Will ask him at work!) :D
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

My sister is highly keen on playing games whenever she's here, usually it's Rummikub or Trivial Pursuit. In bad luck days she'll choose Set!, which is a great game where you both have to look at cards to find "sets" of 3 and collect as many as you can - terrific if it weren't for the fact my sister and I sound identical to the point we can't tell which one of us was first to spot the set.

So to get something else for us I found Scotland Yard which is a bit more complex than I thought.
Anybody got any tips?
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: So to get something else for us I found Scotland Yard which is a bit more complex than I thought.
Anybody got any tips?
Ughmph! I played once - and remember pretty much just fuddling through it. :oops:

Found these:
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

71iz2yYZyuL._SL1024_.jpg
I just bought this game - and if you have played the original PC game and remember how brutal it was - the card game is no different. Rules even say, at the end, "The whole party wins if just one person makes it to the fort. But more than likely, everyone will die."

https://www.amazon.com/The-Oregon-Trail ... B01JF4CHWK
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Tawmis wrote:
The attachment 71iz2yYZyuL._SL1024_.jpg is no longer available
I just bought this game - and if you have played the original PC game and remember how brutal it was - the card game is no different. Rules even say, at the end, "The whole party wins if just one person makes it to the fort. But more than likely, everyone will die."

https://www.amazon.com/The-Oregon-Trail ... B01JF4CHWK
Dissing Terry.jpg

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”