Board (Bored?) Games!

Talk about anything you want here
Moon Dragon
Sierra Veteran

Re: Board (Bored?) Games!

Post by Moon Dragon »

If you want a board game that's good for younger people or families, I've heard good Things about
Camel Up and from what I've seen, tales and games the hare and the tortoise is also short and fun.

As for Zombie Video games where you can customize characters to look/be named after friends and Family ;-)

Tawmis wrote:There's a game called Dark Tower that I used to have, that I always "remember" being awesome... Wish I still had it, but these days (as you can see from the link) fetches a pretty insane price.
Seems like there's an app version released:

Google Play (Seems there's already a Dark Tower, so that's probably why they have renamed it here.)
IOS

Haven't played Scotland Yard, but a friend of ours has it and I admit that if they sugest we play it, I'd rather not, because it looks like the kind of game I'd be bored/annoyed playing because I'm not smart enough for it :-).

"Your name is Terry? That's a girl's name."
Am I the only one who thinks of Firefly when I see this sentence? ;-).
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Do you remember much of the game? I'll look for it.

From the looks of that tower I'm reminded of Ghost Castle (better known to the Dutchies here as Spookslot) - I think that's still under my closet.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

I just got a copy of Monikers in this week that I'm dying to play. Hopefully, I'll get a chance this weekend with some friends. Has anyone else played it before?
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Moon Dragon wrote:
Really? Then I guess that this awesome author is a girl?
Moon Dragon
Sierra Veteran

Post by Moon Dragon »

Rath Darkblade wrote:
Moon Dragon wrote:
Really? Then I guess that this awesome author is a girl?
Don't even have to click the link to know who you're referring to :-D. May He Rest In Peace.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Sorry Jasef, never heard of Monikers. I hope you'll like it though!

My dad and sister like to play Scrabble, and they argue a lot while they're doing it so usually I do something in another room or with headphones on while they're doing that.
For St Nicholas I thought it'd be a good idea to buy Chocolate Scrabble for them.
I have my share of experiences with chocolate games - years ago we had a Spanish Battleship and Checkers out of chocolate that just went stale, once I bought a shrink-wrapped Cluedo that was already five years old, still shrinkwrapped...
And there's Chocolate Monopoly.

Please read the instructions of your chocolate game carefully - there's a good chance it differs from the regular game. Chocolate Monopoly is the worst board game I've played - it has a fold-up Monopoly board but nothing's done with that, there's a spinning disk and chocolates to match the squares, and you each spin the disk, see what it says and get the matching chocolate. A bit elaborate and since all the chocolates taste the same it's highly pointless.
Not to mention the chocolate is filthy.

And then there's chocolate Scrabble. Each player gets 4 pieces that have one letter on each side, lays it out on the board to spell words and get the matching points. Of course there are the score multiplyers on the board as well.
With 4-letter words being easy to make in Dutch, and there being only 20 pieces in total, a game between 2 players is not likely to last for 4 turns.
Other offender is the point value. Besides there being 2 U's, one worth 1 point and the other worth 2 points, there's a few letters worth 3 or 4, and the next in value is a whopping 10 points. That's the Z.
Z in Dutch scrabble is worth 4 points for a reason. It's not hard to get rid of. Meaning whoever gets the Z, wins.

At least the chocolate was good.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I ... am confused (no surprise)...

So... chocolate... comes with these games?

What?
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

It's a party gimmick thing. Check your favourite search engine and look for "chocolate board game". Every once in a while, like in December, they pop up in shops here. Perfect present, a bit of fun and if that runs out there's still the chocolate.
Such games have parts that are made of chocolate. The winner gets to decide who gets what.

Chocolate is a precious good, and it's heavy in comparison. So when you have a game with a lot of items, like Monopoly (tokens, cards, houses, hotels, money) or Scrabble (100 tiles in a set) there'll be all sorts of "creative" ways in which the producers try to use as little chocolate as possible. This will involve game-breaking gameplay, which is what happened with both Monopoly and Scrabble. In Monopoly, the property cards were made of chocolade and handed out to the players by spinning disk method, and Scrabble had 20 pieces of chocolate with letters on each side.
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote:It's a party gimmick thing. Check your favourite search engine and look for "chocolate board game". Every once in a while, like in December, they pop up in shops here. Perfect present, a bit of fun and if that runs out there's still the chocolate.
Such games have parts that are made of chocolate. The winner gets to decide who gets what.

Chocolate is a precious good, and it's heavy in comparison. So when you have a game with a lot of items, like Monopoly (tokens, cards, houses, hotels, money) or Scrabble (100 tiles in a set) there'll be all sorts of "creative" ways in which the producers try to use as little chocolate as possible. This will involve game-breaking gameplay, which is what happened with both Monopoly and Scrabble. In Monopoly, the property cards were made of chocolade and handed out to the players by spinning disk method, and Scrabble had 20 pieces of chocolate with letters on each side.
But... once you eat the chocolate (and I assume one does)... as you said, doesn't that break the game? You can't really play it anymore?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Tawmis wrote: The last year, I've been introduced to two really great games...
BANG! The Dice Game - is a very fast, action paced game that lasts about 15 minutes, and it's non stop fun and really intense!
https://www.amazon.com/Da-Vinci-DVG-910 ... +dice+game
So - Bang! The Dice Game, now has a very cool expansion set... "Old Saloon." Not gotten mine yet, but watched a Youtube play/review and it looks great!
https://www.amazon.com/BANG-Dice-Game-S ... +dice+game
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Tawmis wrote:
BBP wrote:It's a party gimmick thing. Check your favourite search engine and look for "chocolate board game". Every once in a while, like in December, they pop up in shops here. Perfect present, a bit of fun and if that runs out there's still the chocolate.

But... once you eat the chocolate (and I assume one does)... as you said, doesn't that break the game? You can't really play it anymore?
That's exactly why our Battleship and Checkers went stale! :)
In the case of Scrabble we kept the wrappers for replay. The Monopoly wasn't worth it.
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote:
Tawmis wrote:
That's exactly why our Battleship and Checkers went stale! :)
In the case of Scrabble we kept the wrappers for replay. The Monopoly wasn't worth it.
:lol: This is such an odd concept to me... what do you do with the rest of the game then? Because it's unplayable after the chocolate is consumed?
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

You can buy or even make new chocolate and re-wrap them, or you could make firmer tokens using the wraps and still get a nice travel edition. Nevermind that it wouldn't work on Scrabble or Monopoly since those games are too flawed to replay, but maybe it'd work for Cluedo. Except I'm not eating that one since it was already way past it's sell-by date when I got it at the second-hand shop.
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Tawmis wrote:
Tawmis wrote: The last year, I've been introduced to two really great games...
BANG! The Dice Game - is a very fast, action paced game that lasts about 15 minutes, and it's non stop fun and really intense!
https://www.amazon.com/Da-Vinci-DVG-910 ... +dice+game
So - Bang! The Dice Game, now has a very cool expansion set... "Old Saloon." Not gotten mine yet, but watched a Youtube play/review and it looks great!
https://www.amazon.com/BANG-Dice-Game-S ... +dice+game
So we've played with various parts of the expansion and even including all of it - and it does make the game last longer (I can't tell if that's good or bad, some of the fun was that the game ended pretty quickly, so it was constantly changing). But I really enjoy all the new things they've added, because you don't have to play the entire expansion. You can use whatever parts you want (new characters/new dice/character powers/etc). You can use just one of the parts, two, or all. Makes for a really enjoyable experience.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

We've started on a round of Clue - Master Detective, and it's turning into one of the weirdest games I've yet played.
Skip to new scripts

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”