What are you playing now?

Talk about anything you want here
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote:Since the path includes spaces enclose it with quotes, i.e.

Code: Select all

CD\
C:\
xcopy /s /y "C:\Lemmings Revolution\SavedGame.dat" C:\DATA
"C:\Lemmings Revolution\Lemmings Revolution.exe"
Bingo - that is correct. I forgot about the spaces. Otherwise, it's like C:\Lemmin~1\ (or whatever).

The quotes, as Collector said, SHOULD fix it.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Thanks guys, the batch worked!
I'm not playing right now though, since I'm at BF's and forgot the CD...
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote:Thanks guys, the batch worked!
Sometimes I have good ideas. :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote:
You mean most of the time. ;)

(Incidentally, there's a little gift here for you) :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote:
Tawmis wrote:
You mean most of the time. ;)
(Incidentally, there's a little gift here for you) :)
Flattery will get you everywhere!
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Just finished the browser game Crank.

...I don't get these "idle" games.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote:Just finished the browser game Crank.

...I don't get these "idle" games.
Never heard of it? What is Crank? Or an Idle Game?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Cue "wild guess" time! ;)

Crank, I believe, is a slang term for drugs of some sort. (I'm not sure what sort, but I believe I heard the late George Carlin mention the word once or twice). More prosaically, "an old crank" is... well, you know. *BWG*

An idle game, I believe, is what happens when you pause your game and walk away from the computer for a while. (It's also a game that's unwilling to pull its weight around the house). ;)

Seriously, I'm not sure what an "idle game" is - possibly a game that has no defined ending, so you can keep playing it forever (until you're sick of it and start another game)? If so, the Elder Scrolls games are a good example of that.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Simply put: it's a waiting game. :)
Incremental games (also known as idle games, clicker games, or clicking games) are video games whose gameplay consists of the player performing simple actions such as clicking on the screen repeatedly ("grinding") to earn currency.[1] In some games, even the clicking becomes unnecessary after a time, as the game plays itself, including in the player's absence,[2] hence the moniker "idle game".
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote:Simply put: it's a waiting game. :)
Incremental games (also known as idle games, clicker games, or clicking games) are video games whose gameplay consists of the player performing simple actions such as clicking on the screen repeatedly ("grinding") to earn currency.[1] In some games, even the clicking becomes unnecessary after a time, as the game plays itself, including in the player's absence,[2] hence the moniker "idle game".
Oh so - like... what was that game... Candy Crush?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

It's like watching a computer play chess against itself. :P

I remember reading a short story by the Israeli author Ephraim Kishon, in which the nameless narrator and his friend Avrinka discuss what were, for the 60s, new inventions - or rather, 1960s-ish visions for the future. It finished something like this:
"Yes," I agreed sadly, "human beings are becoming irrelevant. I read that somewhere in Sweden, someone invented a computer that can play chess at world champion level."

"I'd buy two," said Avrinka. "Let them break their heads against each other, and in the meantime, I can go and see some interesting movie."

So we finished our coffee and strolled down to the cinema. On the pavement ahead of us, an impoverished violinist sat in the sun. Instead of a violin, his violin case held a transistor radio, which played the latest hits. Who said there's nothing new under the sun?
I always liked Kishon's absurdist, gentle humour. Look him up - he's definitely worth reading. :)
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

I got lucky and found Lemmings 2 and another Lemmings game, but I'm still on Revolution... it's a lot harder to measure out the bridges on a wrapping cylinder...
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

BBP wrote:Can't believe it's been this long since I first fired up Lemmings Revolution... I didn't even mention I was playing it here! :D

(...)

One nasty error was one level couldn't be played, but that was caught and a patch was released. Unfortunately the patch did something else: causing the maximum fall height to fail - in 50% of cases a Lemming would die at the maximum allowed fall height, which meant two levels couldn't be finished. I could still play it, sort of...

Back then I asked a Lemmings forum for help, but there wasn't much to be gained...

...nine years later, somebody has programmed a patch that resolves quite a few of the issues!
Unfortunately it turns out the patch doesn't fix the fall height issue on my version (which is apparently rare). Just watched a lot of lems go splat in Tanks A Lot.

This game has so much going for it, with the Fast Forward button, autosave and the branched gameplay, Water Lemmings, enemies, teleporters, switches, anti-gravity and fast-forward zones it took Lemmings to new grounds while still having the spirit of the original: It's frustrating that it was shipped in beta form.
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Fender_178 wrote:Well I finished MOE recently.
And you remained sane enough after such a horrendous experience to remember your log in and post this distressing news?! Amazing.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote:
Fender_178 wrote:Well I finished MOE recently.
And you remained sane enough after such a horrendous experience to remember your log in and post this distressing news?! Amazing.
Playing MOE surely can't be as horrendous as an encounter with Bel-Shamharoth, the Soul Sucker. :twisted:

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”