The One Thing That Stuck Out For Me About Space Quest...

In Space No One Can Hear You Clean, er, Scream. But if you post in this forum about Space Quest - someone's sure to hear you. I think. Try it, anyway!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

All of Sierra's "main" games were very different in themes, and as a result - the way the game played, interacted, etc.

If you had to pick out ONE thing (good, or bad) - about the game, that left a lasting impression (and feel free to go into detail) - what would it be?

And I'd like it to be just ONE thing (because on some of our favorites, it's too easy to list all the things we enjoyed).

I want to focus on what made EACH game of the different titles (GK, LSL, PQ, KQ, etc) different than one another?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: The One Thing That Stuck Out For Me About Space Quest...

Post by Tawmis »

The one thing that struck me about Space Quest, was definitely the humor. Space Quest always felt like a game that was designed - in a playful manner - to have the cards stacked against the player - because more often than not there was some pretty creative ways to die in Space Quest - followed by a very funny message!
Mostly
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Mostly »

Definitely the humor, references to various sci-fi movies, and deaths (too many of the latter in SQ2!) for me as well.

Gary Owens' narration in SQ4 and SQ6 is also legendary.
Last edited by Mostly on Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

For Space Quest it was the wholly unfamiliar and alien environments. The spacecraft interiors especially with their wild colours (especially for a limited non-dithered 16-colour EGA graphics with SQ1-2) and abnormal architecture really felt new and fascinating to explore. I felt like I was on the Arcada struggling to escape with my life. My imagination exploded in such a way that was impossible with King's Quest and its friendly and recognizable environments, beautiful as they were. So I guess basically the art direction from SQ1-3. It really felt like nothing else I'd played. And I love science fiction so there's that.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

MusicallyInspired wrote:For Space Quest it was the wholly unfamiliar and alien environments. The spacecraft interiors especially with their wild colours (especially for a limited non-dithered 16-colour EGA graphics with SQ1-2) and abnormal architecture really felt new and fascinating to explore. I felt like I was on the Arcada struggling to escape with my life. My imagination exploded in such a way that was impossible with King's Quest and its friendly and recognizable environments, beautiful as they were. So I guess basically the art direction from SQ1-3. It really felt like nothing else I'd played. And I love science fiction so there's that.
I would have never guessed you for a Space Quest fan.

I mean, if you were a TRUE Space Quest fan... you'd like, run... SpaceQuest.net or something... :lol:
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

What stuck out for me about SQ? The grisly deaths, the amusing descriptions of Roger's death, and the funny death messages. :P

(What can I say. I sometimes have a black sense of humour). :P
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Tawmis wrote:I would have never guessed you for a Space Quest fan.

I mean, if you were a TRUE Space Quest fan... you'd like, run... SpaceQuest.net or something... :lol:
SpaceQuest.Net? What even is that? A fishing minigame or something? ;)

(also, unlike Space Quest, I am largely unfunny)
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote:What stuck out for me about SQ? The grisly deaths, the amusing descriptions of Roger's death, and the funny death messages. :P
(What can I say. I sometimes have a black sense of humour). :P
Space Quest was like the one game where it was okay to die... and see just how many ways you could die...
MusicallyInspired wrote:
Tawmis wrote:I would have never guessed you for a Space Quest fan.
SpaceQuest.Net? What even is that? A fishing minigame or something? ;)
(also, unlike Space Quest, I am largely unfunny)
:lol:
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Speaking of Roger's deaths, what are some of the worst ways Roger can die? :twisted:

Space is unforgiving, you know. One false move, and...... :twisted:

For my money, SQ2 offers some of the grisliest, most gruesome deaths for Roger. The plant maze, for instance, is legendary. Or any of the deaths while wandering about Vohaul's ship - e.g. the acid bath, or getting waxed by the robot.

SQ3 isn't too bad either. Landing on Ortega without protection (thermal underwear??? :lol:). Taking the extra detonator on Ortega and using the pole to get to the Aluminium Mallard. Getting squeezed by Arnoid, or any of the natural dangers on Phleebut (snakes, lightning, scorpozoids, pods). The garbage ship is full of dangers, but the worst is probably the one that turns Roger into burger meat. :shock:

I haven't played any of the SQ games after SQ3, so I haven't seen any later ones. Have you? ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote:Speaking of Roger's deaths, what are some of the worst ways Roger can die? :twisted:
Space is unforgiving, you know. One false move, and...... :twisted:
For my money, SQ2 offers some of the grisliest, most gruesome deaths for Roger. The plant maze, for instance, is legendary. Or any of the deaths while wandering about Vohaul's ship - e.g. the acid bath, or getting waxed by the robot.
SQ3 isn't too bad either. Landing on Ortega without protection (thermal underwear??? :lol:). Taking the extra detonator on Ortega and using the pole to get to the Aluminium Mallard. Getting squeezed by Arnoid, or any of the natural dangers on Phleebut (snakes, lightning, scorpozoids, pods). The garbage ship is full of dangers, but the worst is probably the one that turns Roger into burger meat. :shock:
I haven't played any of the SQ games after SQ3, so I haven't seen any later ones. Have you? ;)
That's the beauty of Space Quests - there's as many deaths in each game as there are puzzles! :lol:

And I'd strongly recommend playing the rest of the Space Quest series...!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm. I've (nearly) finished SQ4 now, but I have to say, it hasn't grabbed me as much as the others because the story seems to be all over the place. Also, it is brutal. :evil:

I started SQ5 and am having lots of fun. :D
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

I thought SQ4's meta humour was hilarious - best joke of the game. I had some fun trying to get started up, but I had enormous trouble at one point in the first section of SQ12 dodging that zombie, to the extent I got tired. Although I had a lot of fun when I tried to enter the sewer with unstable ordnance.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote:Hmm. I've (nearly) finished SQ4 now, but I have to say, it hasn't grabbed me as much as the others because the story seems to be all over the place. Also, it is brutal. :evil:

I started SQ5 and am having lots of fun. :D
You're clearly forgetting how brutal The Two Guys were when it came to SQ.

I found SQV on, to be more about the parody of things (especially a HEAVY influence of Star Trek) and went a little away from the deaths... and even the "adventure" game aspect of it.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm. I'm still a bit stuck in SQ5 because of the fembot who wants to execute Roger for mail fraud, of all things.

Not to worry, though - I'll get there. :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote:Hmm. I'm still a bit stuck in SQ5 because of the fembot who wants to execute Roger for mail fraud, of all things.
You know why that is, right? :D

Return to “The Space Quest Series”