What are you playing now?

Talk about anything you want here
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:14 pmIncredibly stupid of EA not to include an option to adjust screen resolution - had to use a Hex editor to modify the executable for that.
Holy....
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer »

Datadog wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:21 am I have a love/hate relationship with licensed movie games. A lot of them are in development before a movie is even finished, and they don't always work closely with the studio, so I think it's interesting to see how a company tries to interpret whatever material they have to work with (for better or worse). I've always enjoyed "Spider-Man 2" and "Return of the King" as pretty good movie games, or going further back, "Aladdin" for Genesis, and LucasArt's "Last Crusade".
Agreed. Some I like, others are very frustrating. But you're right that it's interesting to see where the games diverge from the films, given the short development cycle. The Golden Compass is a very notable example - the film was heavily edited and restructured a few months before release, rearranging the third act and omitting the original ending entirely. There wasn't time to modify the game, however, so it retains the film's initial structure, and even includes some of the scrapped footage in cutscenes.

I enjoy some of the early Genesis movie tie-ins, too. Alien 3 is one of my all-time favorites. Aladdin was incredibly well executed but man is it tough.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Tawmis wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:08 am I am currently playing KQ6 slowly - trying to do the long route - and man, have I forgot a lot to this game. I've already messed up a number of times - so the video is going to require quite a bit of edits - otherwise it's a longer version of the long version. :lol:
I need to resume playing King's Quest VI for the "Let's Play Sierra Games"...

And I also want to get back to "Dragonsphere" because that seemed like a fun game too!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I am currently beta testing Toejam & Earl - Back in the Groove.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

SHP - if you'd like to play Aladdin again, the SNS version, you can do that for free at:
http://www.freewebarcade.com/game/aladdin/

You can also save your game. I played the DOS version back in the day and I don't recall getting past the rooftops of Agrabah level.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

It's actually the Genesis version (it was different from the Super Nintendo version), but that's still awesome! I'm playing it at work now haha.
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Yeah that's what they did at my father's work in the mid 90s. If he had to do overtime, sometimes he'd bring us in to work, and we'd nest ourselves in the highly comfortable desk chairs at the computer and marvel at the huge amount of computer games.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

The Genesis version is so much better than the SNES version. They're entirely different games. And all because Nintendo had a problem with the player using a sword, right?
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

I wouldn't say so much better, but definitely different. I think the NES version is essentially a port of the Genesis one, so I don't think the sword had anything to do with it. The SNES version is more of a straight platformer while the Genesis one is a combination platformer/beat-em-up. I personally prefer the SNES one, but they both got really great reviews at the time.
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

JasefWisener wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:52 pmI think the NES version is essentially a port of the Genesis one, so I don't think the sword had anything to do with it.
Definitely not a port. The Genesis and SNES versions were developed respectively by Virgin Games and Capcom. Both games feature different levels, maps, gameplay, music and animation (a side-by-side look for comparison). But I'd have to throw my weight behind Genesis having the superior Aladdin game, not just for having a sword, but also for its less-linear level design and Disney-animated sprites.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Datadog wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:47 pm
JasefWisener wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:52 pmI think the NES version is essentially a port of the Genesis one, so I don't think the sword had anything to do with it.
Definitely not a port. The Genesis and SNES versions were developed respectively by Virgin Games and Capcom. Both games feature different levels, maps, gameplay, music and animation (a side-by-side look for comparison). But I'd have to throw my weight behind Genesis having the superior Aladdin game, not just for having a sword, but also for its less-linear level design and Disney-animated sprites.
Genesis for the win.

But that's how it typically was. Genesis did a better port of Mortal Kombat than NES, because NES shied away from the "blood."
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

The NES port, not the SNES original. It was released on both consoles, and the NES version was a port of the Virgin Games Genesis version. http://www.mobygames.com/game/nes/disneys-aladdin
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Vote still goes to Genesis for superior graphics and sound over the NES if it is indeed the same game. I didn't enjoy the SNES version at all.
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

JasefWisener wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:44 pm The NES port, not the SNES original. It was released on both consoles, and the NES version was a port of the Virgin Games Genesis version. http://www.mobygames.com/game/nes/disneys-aladdin
My mistake. I didn't know this game was on NES! :shock:
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

Following up on New Vegas, I finally finished the game, all its DLC, and tested out three of its endings. Because I could only play it during baby's sleep time, I did cheat a little by ramping up the game speed on the console and activating god mode on the more mundane side-quests (I really didn't want to lose whole nights hunting bugs in some random vault.)

Otherwise, it's a really great game! I found myself really invested in some of the side-missions and enjoyed some of the game's quirkier factions. I especially liked the Boomers and the Space Ghouls, because I like any mission where I can put someone in the sky. And I liked the Kings a lot more than I thought I would, just because it's a whole faction of Elvis impersonators who don't even know who Elvis is.

For the main quests, I mostly sided with the NCR before I swapped out for the "Yes Man" ending instead. I think the game expected me to consider the Legion as a viable alternative to the NCR, but the game made zero-case for their "enslave all women" policy so we became enemies pretty fast. Plus, the NCR's side-characters were a lot more fun to have as companions. Although once I ran into Felicia Day, she became my permanent companion until the end.

If anyone is considering getting the game, the DLC is definitely worth it. The story told across the four DLCs and its final boss are somehow more epic than the main game's story. While I wasn't a fan of the survival horror "Dead Money", I loved the sci-fi comedy in "Old World Blues" with its many goofy characters (including two light switches who always argue).

And that'll probably be my last Bethesda game for a long while, but at least I'm warmed back up to the series. I still have other RPGs on my Steam like Alpha Protocol and Dishonored by them that I've yet to try, but my next game will probably be one of the Resident Evils, a series I've always enjoyed on the sidelines, but I've yet to play.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”