What are you playing now?

Talk about anything you want here
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by notbobsmith »

I really enjoyed Oblivion. But Skyrim was just amazing. The biggest thing for me was character progression. You aren't pigeonholed in a class. The more you do something, the better you get at it. The perk tree really made you feel like your character was getting more powerful rather than numbers in a table. That said, I would definitely recommend Oblivion.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

notbobsmith wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:42 pm The more you do something, the better you get at it.
That's also true of Oblivion and QfG (and Hero-U and Heroine's Quest...) ;)
notbobsmith wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:42 pm The perk tree really made you feel like your character was getting more powerful rather than numbers in a table.
I agree there. The abandonment of the class system in favour of the perk tree was something special. I wasn't sure if it'd work - I really enjoyed the class system - but the perk tree was something else. :)

Having said that, I have to say that the faction quests (the Dark Brotherhood, the Thieves' Guild, the Mages' Guild and the Fighters' Guild) were much more fun in Oblivion as compared to Skyrim. :( Maybe it's just me? OTOH, the main quest was much more fun in Skyrim - and that's not even mentioning the dragons! ;)

Also, the daedric quests were a bit of a mixed bag. Some of them (like Meridia's quest) were more fun in Skyrim; others (like Clavicus Vile's quest, which result you in getting your hands on Umbra - oh boy :shock: ) were more fun in Oblivion. But hey, that's just me. (Mwa ha ha!) :twisted:
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I loved Oblivion when it first came out. Loved it more than Morrowind, which I can still to this day never get into. I like more agency in combat and less dice-rolling. I still love it to this day. Also love Skyrim, but miss some of the things about Oblivion.

And yes, Oblivion has a compass feature for every quest you have. You'll never get lost if you use it.

I think some of Oblivion's side quests are better than Skyrims but not all of them. They're all quite good. I really enjoyed Oblivion's Dark Brotherhood quest. Thieves Guild was also really special. Skyrim's Thieves Guild wasn't as good, but the Dark Brotherhood was again a highlight. Especially with how you get their attention. I think the Champion's questline is way better than the Fighter's Guild, though. As for the Mage's Guild vs College of Winterhold....they're about the same.

I never understood all the hate for Oblivion beyond it just not being enough like Morrowind, which was fine for me.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

I really liked Skyrim myself. Although I feel I should've taken a break partway through, because by the time I reached game's end, I was too burned out to go explore the rest of the map. There's still at least half a game waiting for me if I ever boot it back up. But I really liked the setting and world they'd built up and I may jump back in again someday.

It was kind of funny how easily I would detour into world-changing side-content. One small favour would suddenly thrust me into hours of missions for a guild where I'd become their new leader. During that time, I'd usually cross paths with another guild and eventually become their leader as well.

Yeah, that sums it up. :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

MusicallyInspired wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:46 am I loved Oblivion when it first came out. Loved it more than Morrowind, which I can still to this day never get into. I like more agency in combat and less dice-rolling. I still love it to this day. Also love Skyrim, but miss some of the things about Oblivion.

And yes, Oblivion has a compass feature for every quest you have. You'll never get lost if you use it.
Skyrim also has a compass you can use. :) What kind of things do you miss about Oblivion?
MusicallyInspired wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:46 am I think some of Oblivion's side quests are better than Skyrim's but not all of them. They're all quite good. I really enjoyed Oblivion's Dark Brotherhood quest. Thieves Guild was also really special. Skyrim's Thieves Guild wasn't as good, but the Dark Brotherhood was again a highlight. Especially with how you get their attention. I think the Champion's questline is way better than the Fighter's Guild, though. As for the Mage's Guild vs College of Winterhold....they're about the same.

I never understood all the hate for Oblivion beyond it just not being enough like Morrowind, which was fine for me.
Hmm... the Oblivion Mages Guild quest is much longer, though (i.e. more quests, not necessarily longer ones). ;)

Yes, the Thieves Guild in Oblivion is quite special (in that you have to attract their attention first - in Skyrim, they just pick you off the street. "Hey you! Join the Thieves Guild!" Um, thanks?). Still, in Skyrim, eventually you get to meet Nocturnal face to face. But then, in Oblivion, you get to steal an Elder Scroll and still meet Nocturnal face to face (or face to cowl, anyway). :P

By the way, did anyone else think that Nocturnal's Cowl in Oblivion was particularly useless? I mean, with it off, you're just a face in the street. With it on, the guards queue up to arrest you (and the Thieves Guild members queue up to kiss your keister). :P So you can never actually use it for anything. What a rip! :(

Anyway, Oblivion Dark Brotherhood vs. Skyrim Dark Brotherhood... Oblivion wins hands-down (even if you have to kill everyone in the guild, which is a huge letdown. I always loved all the different personalities in the Oblivion Dark Brotherhood, and it was a shame that I had to kill them all.) :( In Skyrim... meh. At least you end up with a sarcastic Redguard and an vampire child, as well as the creepy voice of the Night Mother. Naturally. Plus, if you spare him, an annoyingly over-exuberant clown. Oh, joy. :P

I'm not sure that the Companions are that much better than the Oblivion Fighters Guild. The Fighters Guild have more quests (and more interesting ones, too - remember the rat problem that became a bigger problem? Or Fighters Guild guys tearing up a pub in Leyawiin and you have to get them jobs? Good times. The Fighters Guild quests were all separate, and all separately fun, but they (mostly) had a core that tied them together - the rival guild from Black Marsh. (Boo hiss!) :P

In Skyrim, in comparison, all you ever get to do is put an axe back together. Biiiiiig deal. :P Plus kill a bunch of scary witches, and ultimately save your former boss from being a werewolf.) Yippee-dee-doo-dah. :P

Anyway, that's why the Oblivion factions are more fun than the Skyrim ones (in my not-so-humble, naturally). ;)
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

As for what I miss about Oblivion....I'm not sure. Maybe just the experience. I do sort of miss the class and level up system, though I definitely like the freedom of the skill and perks trees in Skyrim. I just have fond memories of Oblivion. I remember people complained about it being too traditional fantasy-wise (after coming off of the truly alien Morrowind atmosphere), but I really enjoyed it.

Also, Patrick Stewart. I mean...come on.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:08 amBy the way, did anyone else think that Nocturnal's Cowl in Oblivion was particularly useless? I mean, with it off, you're just a face in the street. With it on, the guards queue up to arrest you (and the Thieves Guild members queue up to kiss your keister). :P So you can never actually use it for anything. What a rip! :(
Well, the idea was that whenever you wanted to do anything illegal you could just put on the cowl and as long as you were alone when you took it off you'd never be affected by the crimes even if they saw you (because the true identity of the wearer of the cowl will forever remain a mystery). So it's not that it's particularly useful to make things easier for you, it's just a scapegoat to get out of bounties on your head so that they are on the Gray Fox instead.
In Skyrim, in comparison, all you ever get to do is put an axe back together. Biiiiiig deal. :P Plus kill a bunch of scary witches, and ultimately save your former boss from being a werewolf.) Yippee-dee-doo-dah. :P
I don't remember much of anything about the Fighters Guild questline so maybe that's partially why. Either way, the werewolf storyline was unique to Skyrim's "fighters guild" quest.
Anyway, that's why the Oblivion factions are more fun than the Skyrim ones (in my not-so-humble, naturally). ;)
I do like Oblivion's questlines a little more as they seem to be true-blue traditional Elder Scrolls guild quests done in the best way. For Skyrim they had to change things up so that it wasn't the same and I like the way they did it. No Mage's Guild, a different group of mages altogether. No Fighters Guild. Same diff (except with the added spice of werewolves). The Dark Brotherhood was the Dark Brotherhood but it was in shambles and just existed for everyone's benefit and not for the Night Mother because nobody really believed in her or anything anymore. They were nice twists. I just think the actual stories of the Skyrim ones were told a little better, but the actual quests (except for maybe the Fighters Guild and Mages Guild) were more fun in Oblivion. But I do agree that the College of Winterhold questline (and almost all the guild quests in Skyrim) are painfully short and you seem to rise to the top and become leader far too quickly.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

MusicallyInspired wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:02 pmI just think the actual stories of the Skyrim ones were told a little better, but the actual quests (except for maybe the Fighters Guild and Mages Guild) were more fun in Oblivion. But I do agree that the College of Winterhold questline (and almost all the guild quests in Skyrim) are painfully short and you seem to rise to the top and become leader far too quickly.
Hmmm... the Fighters Guild and Mages Guild are an exception? I don't know. As you mentioned, the guild questlines in Skyrim are far too short. In Oblivion, both the Fighters Guild and Mages Guild have lots of quests before you become the Big Cheese. ;)
MusicallyInspired wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:02 pm As for what I miss about Oblivion....I'm not sure. Maybe just the experience. I do sort of miss the class and level up system, though I definitely like the freedom of the skill and perks trees in Skyrim. I just have fond memories of Oblivion. I remember people complained about it being too traditional fantasy-wise (after coming off of the truly alien Morrowind atmosphere), but I really enjoyed it.
Me, too. In fact, the alien atmosphere of Morrowind is one thing that turned me off. (Well, that and a not-so-great journal, a not-so-great map system... plus I couldn't even work out how to fight in this game, so I got killed by some kind of jumpy alieny thing. Ugh. :(
MusicallyInspired wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:02 pmAlso, Patrick Stewart. I mean...come on.
That's right! I forgot. He does play Emperor Uriel Septim, doesn't he? Well, then... what about Sean Bean? He also has a (much longer) role in Oblivion. ;) Also, Jeff Baker (as Haskill in Shivering Isles), and Terence Stamp (as Mankar Camoran).

Oh yes, and there's this guy...

By Azura! By Azura! By Azura! It's the grand champion, I can't believe its you standing here next to me! :D :D :D :D :D :P
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

I just don't have any fond memories of the Fighter's or Mage's Guilds. Nothing stood out. Not like the Thieves' Guild and Dark Brotherhood. However, I DO remember the ones from Skyrim well.

And yes, Sean Bean and Terence Stamp. And of course the immortal Jeff Baker. "I heard them say we've reached Morrowind. I'm sure they'll let us go!" I thought it was so awesome that they got him to reprise that role in Dawnguard and expound on his character with that voice lol. Hilarious.
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

Follow-up on Resident Evil 4...

I was not as ready for this game as I thought I was. While I appreciate that the janky controls and enemy AI were balanced enough to make me feel helpless, yet never really stuck, the sustained tension through the game left me going to bed a nervous wreck every night. I had to start listening to Disney playlists partway into the game just to keep my nerve up. Still, the game was noticeably well-designed with its encounters and set-pieces. If I had discovered this game back in 2004, it probably would have been in my personal video game pantheon.

Favourite parts: I loved the house barricading with Luis where I'm pushing shelves in front of door and knocking over ladders. The lake monster fight was fun as heck. The castle at the heart of the game is pure video game magic with its ridiculous death traps and mine carts. And, of course, the helicopter scene near the end made me so damn happy while it lasted.

Least favourite: Going to sleep after discovering Regenerators. I had nightmares all night about those things. And I absolutely hated that despite she gets captured three times, Leon never gives Ashley a gun, or lets her carry anything at all. You have a literal shooting gallery in a safe room to train her in! But the worst part? Oh, my god - the zombie wolf. I just finished fighting a giant with the help of a friendly dog, and when I saw a dog later on, I foolishly ran toward it with my guard down. Had to button-mash my way out of what happened next, but I felt so betrayed after.

Overall, still a really great game and definitely a good example of survival horror done well. I likely won't play another for a while, though, because that one took a lot out of me. Maybe I'll get on Shardlight or one of the new Wadjet Eyes coming out. I'll get back to something point-and-clicky for a while.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

GK1, checking out DOSBox 0.74.2 :D
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

Spider-Man came out on PS4 Friday and boy howdy is it great.
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I started Sim City 4 - but that game is brutal. I get started but run out of money way too quickly. Been chased out of 4 towns! :D
(I think I am just too impatient and want a big city... so I build too much)...

So then I played Wizard & Warriors (from the guy who made Wizardry... and it looks just like a mix of Wizardry VI and VII)... but found out that the GoG release is glitched to hades... but there's fixes that people have posted... I've just got gone back to go into it...

Then every blue moon, I still play KQVI for the stupid Youtube channel I thought I'd do...
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

MusicallyInspired wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:05 am And yes, Sean Bean and Terence Stamp. And of course the immortal Jeff Baker. "I heard them say we've reached Morrowind. I'm sure they'll let us go!" I thought it was so awesome that they got him to reprise that role in Dawnguard and expound on his character with that voice lol. Hilarious.
:? I played Oblivion to death, and I don't remember that line. What character is that, and why is he saying that? :?

Oh, yes - and of course there is M'aiq the Liar. ;)
Tawmis wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:38 pm Then every blue moon, I still play KQVI for the stupid Youtube channel I thought I'd do...
Hmm, I've been wondering about starting a YouTube channel for ages, but I was always put off by the level of maturity (or lack thereof) of the people who comment. :?

I'd like to receive comments, so long as they're not on the level of "U SUCK Y DO U EVN TRY I ROOL U DROOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHA" etc. :roll: I've seen comments like these. Sheesh. I don't mind criticism, but I don't need stupid criticism. ;)

Is there anything else I should watch out for, if I create a YouTube channel? :?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:51 am
Tawmis wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:38 pm Then every blue moon, I still play KQVI for the stupid Youtube channel I thought I'd do...
Hmm, I've been wondering about starting a YouTube channel for ages, but I was always put off by the level of maturity (or lack thereof) of the people who comment. :?
I'd like to receive comments, so long as they're not on the level of "U SUCK Y DO U EVN TRY I ROOL U DROOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHA" etc. :roll: I've seen comments like these. Sheesh. I don't mind criticism, but I don't need stupid criticism. ;)
Is there anything else I should watch out for, if I create a YouTube channel? :?
Unless your channel goes viral for some reason, chances are you're not going to get those types of comments - or many comments at all (unless you hardcore advertise yourself). I've had the Neverending Nights channel _forever_ - and I have some comments on each of the episodes (some have none at all), but it's all been positive.

And the Comic Relief Podcast channel, that's been around for several years now - is just me posting videos, 99% of the time, without any comments.
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:51 am
MusicallyInspired wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:05 am And yes, Sean Bean and Terence Stamp. And of course the immortal Jeff Baker. "I heard them say we've reached Morrowind. I'm sure they'll let us go!" I thought it was so awesome that they got him to reprise that role in Dawnguard and expound on his character with that voice lol. Hilarious.
:? I played Oblivion to death, and I don't remember that line. What character is that, and why is he saying that? :?
It's a line from the Dark Elf at the beginning of Morrowind, not Oblivion. This same character at the beginning of Morrowind was brought back in the Dawnguard expansion for Skyrim and was given the name Jiub. He also does the voice of all the generic male Dark Elves in Morrowind. It's a very gravely "Christian Bale Batman" voice.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”