What are you playing now?

Talk about anything you want here
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:51 pm No. When you use the manual install as Collector suggests on the GK1 help page, you get a significantly lower quality than when you use the installer.
There are still the occasional points where the game runs slower than it should, but on the whole it runs normally, without upping the cycles, without waiting seconds for an audio clip, and with large videos!
OoOOoOo. That makes sense. I was thinking that the new GK1 20th Anniversary doesn't use DOSBox so I was really confused...

But then. I am easily confused.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I'm playing Hero-U ... and I ran into problems. (Please see the thread down in the QfG forum, below).

Any help would be appreciated, if you know the answer and can spare the time. If not, feel free to leave some boos. I don't mind drinking a little boos. ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:00 pm I'm playing Hero-U ... and I ran into problems. (Please see the thread down in the QfG forum, below).

Any help would be appreciated, if you know the answer and can spare the time. If not, feel free to leave some boos. I don't mind drinking a little boos. ;)
Datadog can probably help when he pops back on here.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

BBP wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:51 pm No. When you use the manual install as Collector suggests on the GK1 help page, you get a significantly lower quality than when you use the installer.
That was an old XP solution for an old version of DOSBox. I have not looked at it for years. It has an error of instructing you to use the VGA driver when it should have been the VESA driver. I have corrected the solution, even though few will use it anymore.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Interesting... I'll give it a shot when I set it to VESA...
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Checked out the text and made a screenshot of the old settings, changed the resource.cfg but only the image driver to VESA. Tempo is horrible! Will try with new settings but if the result is similar to the intall, I'm not sure what would be the point of that. It doesn't help that I don't know what all of this is doing.

I remember now - I first played this game on Dino (Win 98) with the high quality images, but also with trouble sneaking into Mosely's office - it took dozens of attempts, but I got in. I had to give up eventually at the mummies after 40 deaths or so. Then I moved to our Vista to finish the game. This was before the installers still - I had used the manual install. I noticed the quality was lower but when I got into Mose's office on my first go I knew it was the right decision.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

I could start a topic on my Wicked GK1 Adventures...
A few years ago I reported on a fun bug I found in GK1: if you "restart" while playing, the game will automatically transport the object that was in the Active Inventory Item Box of the old game, to the new one. I made a video of me exploiting this trick by entering the hounfour on day 1. VIDEO!

While I was replaying the game, I thought: "Hey, let's do this with the Rada book so I can see what it says on day 1." Sure enough, it opened the regular Rada Decode screen, and the message that was transmitted was "no message."

Tried it again today, and then this happened:
sierra_003.png
Mini Gabriel by the gargoyle. During some animations, like when I showed the Rada book to Grace and she gave it back, Gabriel grew big again, but he remained tiny.
I also wanted to show the Rada book to Mosely. In order to do that I performed the entire sequence to get him as a character, including the bit with the mime. Naturally I couldn't resist getting Gabe to punch him.. and when the punch animation played, they both were teensy tiny! I have the video to prove it, still need to upload...
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

:lol: Teeny-tiny Gabriel is so cute! :D

And yeah... going to the hounfour without Mosley's backup is not a good idea. ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

These are great - especially the inventory thing!
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

I kind of want Gabriel to be 10 inches tall in all the games now.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Back when I first posted about the bug, I said "I still need to try to take objects from the hounfour and continue gameplay as usual." This seemed fun for the black book and the costumes.
I'm not sure how the game decides whether you can or cannot go up anymore (my guess is absence of the tracker),but you can't go back up once you go down.
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

It would be a lot of fun to play GK1 if you could go down to the hounfour and come back up with lots-o-money. ;) Then Gabriel will be rich! He's rich! He's wealthy! He's independent! He's socially secure! Yahoo! :D He's comfortably well off. Woo-hoo-hoo! :D

He's a happy miser... ;)

(Of course, there's nothing in this game to spend money on except something that you buy by selling something else for $100. But who cares when you're rich!) :D
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer »

I'm currently trying out The Da Vinci Code from 2006. I had no idea a game had been made until recently. It's clunky, like most tie-in games are, but it allows you to do some clever detective work and decryption. The bugs are, unfortunately, game-breaking. Sometimes when a security guard punches you, you fall through the Louvre floor and into unnavigable areas of the map; only reloading fixes it. It also only saves your game at designated checkpoints, so you're hindered as to when you can quit unless you feel like excessive backtracking.

Jennifer Hale (Katrina from QFG4) voices Sophie Neveu. The accent she uses is incredibly similar to the one she adopted for Katrina, so that's kind of fun to hear.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:51 am I'm currently trying out The Da Vinci Code from 2006. I had no idea a game had been made until recently. It's clunky, like most tie-in games are, but it allows you to do some clever detective work and decryption. The bugs are, unfortunately, game-breaking. Sometimes when a security guard punches you, you fall through the Louvre floor and into unnavigable areas of the map; only reloading fixes it. It also only saves your game at designated checkpoints, so you're hindered as to when you can quit unless you feel like excessive backtracking.

Jennifer Hale (Katrina from QFG4) voices Sophie Neveu. The accent she uses is incredibly similar to the one she adopted for Katrina, so that's kind of fun to hear.
For the bugs; have you checked online if there was ever an official/unofficial patch made?
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer »

Tawmis wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:07 am For the bugs; have you checked online if there was ever an official/unofficial patch made?
Yes, I've looked. No official patches seem to have been made, but I am using an unofficial one. I think it fixes some, but not all, of the bugs. Apparently it was extremely glitchy on all platforms, and I knew that going in. After reloading, I didn't experience the problem again, so whatever the issue, it's random.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”