Other Gaming Companies You're Obsessed With (Past or Present or Both)?

Talk about anything you want here
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Other Gaming Companies You're Obsessed With (Past or Present or Both)?

Post by Tawmis »

MusicallyInspired wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:35 am Now, the philosophy of LucasArts is what eventually turned into Telltale Games and I'm sure some of you know just how much I despise them and why. But in the Golden Age, LucasArts deserved every bit of praise as much as Sierra got for a good while there.
I have, since, on the good word of everyone on these forums, gotten a large amount of LucasArts games from GoG, as they've come out (such as the Monkey Island series). I've not played them yet - but there's probably about 50 other games I've gotten from GoG that fall into that bucket.

I think back in the day, when I got introduced to King's Quest 1 (EGA, although the version I had played was 4 color and boot from a floppy :lol: ) - and then Leisure Suit Larry 1 EGA... and then finding out there was a Space Quest... and a Police Quest... then they each came out with a sequel... then new games came out from Sierra (like Gabriel Knight, Codename, etc) - I never really broke out of the Sierra window of games, with a few exceptions (like Kyrandia, which was solely because it was like King's Quest - or marketed as such - Les Manley, because it was like LSL by appearance [but what the #$%^ stranger])...
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer »

Part of it, for me, is visual style. All LucasArts games had incredible production values, but I'm particular about how character sprites are drawn. I prefer realistic proportions, and some LA games had characters with oversized heads and such (Looking at you, Maniac Mansion). It doesn't matter the company behind it, I'm not partial to that design style. Loom and The Dig avoided that, so they drew me in.

This may be shallow, but the "look" of a game often matters more to me than the underlying story and gameplay design. A game may be a joy to play, but if I can't get into the look of it, I tend to lose interest. I don't mind cel-animation if it's done in a more natural style, such as Sierra's SVGA games, but exaggerated cartoon character types aren't usually my cup of tea.

Just my personal opinions. I think it's fantastic all these games have fanbases, and none of this is to say I won't give some of the ones I haven't tried a go one day. Maybe my perspective will change and I'll feel differently next time.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Indiana Jones didn't have the unrealistic proportions either.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer »

MusicallyInspired wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:12 am Indiana Jones didn't have the unrealistic proportions either.
Thanks for that. I'll check those out next.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

If you play either of them I suggest Fate of Atlantis. It's the true Indiana Jones 4 that we never got on film.

Actually, Monkey Island 1 and 2 didn't have cartoony proportions either. In fact, Monkey Island 1's closeup character dialogue images are gorgeous (if you play the classic version and not the Special Edition which totally borks them).

01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

LucasArts and Telltale would be my other favourite adventure game companies as well. Much like Sierra, both released enough games consistently that you can see each respective company's story play out from their early "garage band" years to their "rock star" era before their inevitable descent into madness. These games are all worth playing chronologically just to see the evolution in action.

I also get the same vibe from Bioware and Squaresoft as well when I think of favourite game companies. Both companies are pioneers in their respective fields with notable personalities behind the helm, but the evolution of their games is completely bonkers, and it's still getting crazier. Still, I want to see if they'll get their acts back together, even if it means waiting through their worst to get there.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 6:36 am This may be shallow, but the "look" of a game often matters more to me than the underlying story and gameplay design. A game may be a joy to play, but if I can't get into the look of it, I tend to lose interest. I don't mind cel-animation if it's done in a more natural style, such as Sierra's SVGA games, but exaggerated cartoon character types aren't usually my cup of tea.
Just my personal opinions. I think it's fantastic all these games have fanbases, and none of this is to say I won't give some of the ones I haven't tried a go one day. Maybe my perspective will change and I'll feel differently next time.
I don't think it's shallow, it's all preference. I love comic books and a ton of cartoons - but I don't like anime style comics or cartoons (like DragonballZ and such).
Datadog wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:47 am I also get the same vibe from Bioware and Squaresoft as well when I think of favourite game companies. Both companies are pioneers in their respective fields with notable personalities behind the helm, but the evolution of their games is completely bonkers, and it's still getting crazier. Still, I want to see if they'll get their acts back together, even if it means waiting through their worst to get there.
I was an avid fan of Bioware also... But I can tell you, Mass Effect: Andromeda has soured that.
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

I've never gotten into Bioware. I don't get all the fuss. I think I was isolated from it because of my early aversion to RPG games, though. I've tried to go back and play games like KOTOR but I just can't get into that heavy of an RPG system. TOR was easier because there's a bit more agency in the combat, rather than freezing time and crunching numbers a lot more in the earlier KOTOR games. Eventually, eventually.

Also never played Mass Effect. I think the whole Space Marine thing had turned me off to it. It looked like a very generic aesthetic to me. I understand that story is where Bioware always excelled but...I just couldn't stand that form of RPG. If I could get the original trilogy in a bundle on Steam I'd give it a go (once my computer gets back up and running). But then there's the fact that the third one was not very well received given its ending. Ending payoff means a lot to me and I don't find the journey worth it more often than not when I know how it ends up. Not all the time where games are concerned, but given that Mass Effect is heavily story-based, yeah I don't know. People have said you can play them individually without it bothering the experience, though.

Eventually, eventually.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

MusicallyInspired wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:21 pm I've never gotten into Bioware. I don't get all the fuss. I think I was isolated from it because of my early aversion to RPG games, though. I've tried to go back and play games like KOTOR but I just can't get into that heavy of an RPG system. TOR was easier because there's a bit more agency in the combat, rather than freezing time and crunching numbers a lot more in the earlier KOTOR games. Eventually, eventually.
It's been forever and a day since I've played KOTOR - but, I think (not sure, obviously) - you can go into the settings and turn off the "pause" combat portion and just have it be fluid. I might be mis-remembering. I just know a lot of older RPG games (Wizardry VII for example) had the setting to make it "turn based or live." So I guess I am either assuming or mis-remembering that KOTOR also had that option.
MusicallyInspired wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:21 pm Also never played Mass Effect. I think the whole Space Marine thing had turned me off to it. It looked like a very generic aesthetic to me. I understand that story is where Bioware always excelled but...I just couldn't stand that form of RPG. If I could get the original trilogy in a bundle on Steam I'd give it a go (once my computer gets back up and running). But then there's the fact that the third one was not very well received given its ending. Ending payoff means a lot to me and I don't find the journey worth it more often than not when I know how it ends up. Not all the time where games are concerned, but given that Mass Effect is heavily story-based, yeah I don't know. People have said you can play them individually without it bothering the experience, though.
I do think there's a little bit of irony of all the games, the Space Marine thing turned you off, since you're an avid fan of both Star Trek and Star Wars - which is pretty big on exploration and characters (which Mass Effect is chalk full of, especially in the first, second and third - so far, Andromeda, I can't say that). And as for the Mass Effect 3 ending... a few things about that too. So a lot of people cried about the Mass Effect 3 ending. I beat it and actually loved it. To me, it was a great bookend to the series. Bioware, however, did "patch" (DLC) the ending later because of people crying about it and "fixed" the ending. I never played the "fixed" (free DLC) ending, because I was more than satisfied with the original ending. So if you're concerned about other people's opinions about it, you can always play it with the "fixed" ending.
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Neither Star Trek nor Star Wars have space marines. ;) (at least, not as the main character focus in Star Wars' case) But I know that's not what it's all about. I'm just saying that was my first impression from the box art and I never bothered to care about it. Years later I hear it being raved about and was like "oh ok."
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

I am burned out on cartoony style graphics for games. Don't get me wrong, some games demand it, like LSL, but I vastly prefer a more realistic style for other games or those in which any comedy is more comic relief than out and out slapstick. Unfortunately so many of the fan games are of a cartoony style, probably just because it is easier to do graphics for as many sprites and backgrounds required for a decent sized game.

And Tawm, I detest anime "art" as well.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

You two need to watch a few Miyazaki movies, Tawm and Collector... Miyazaki party at my place everybody?
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

I have, I just detest the art style.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Like Collector, it's not about the story - but the art style. I googled Miyazaki and found Spirited Away. And it looked interesting, but the art was not my style.

But, it also impacts things I'd normally enjoy. For example, Teen Titans is a DC Comic. But I can't stand Teen Titans Go.
Qbix
DOSBox Author

Post by Qbix »

Just like MusicallyInspired, I like the games that nintendo puts out or however things are precisely organised around Metroid (might be a different studio).

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”