BBP vs SQ (spoiler topic)

In Space No One Can Hear You Clean, er, Scream. But if you post in this forum about Space Quest - someone's sure to hear you. I think. Try it, anyway!
BBP
Village Elder

BBP vs SQ (spoiler topic)

Post by BBP »

After using a walkthrough through most of SQ6 and being unable to solve SQ4 without help, I've decided to tackle SQ3... and for the fans, I''ll chronicle what happens. Please don't tell me what to do next, since I'm trying to figure that out for myself.

This entire topic is basically spoiler.

Take 1: I spend some time finding a motivator but being unable to move it. East from the start screen I don't make much headway - south leads to the Screen With The Metal Death and further east leads to a very familiar conveyor belt. Luckily I get past the belt by finding the correct commands just in time.
Walking around on the beam at the top I find a useless machine at one end and the central robot at the other. I fall off one end, make a screenshot and post it here.

Take 2: I walk east from the start and find I can walk through the ship remnants, which I didn't manage before. I pick up wires, save, walk through to the scene with the large head, and fall off the edge.

Take 3: This time I get to go down the head. I find two spaceships and Lego. One spaceship seems available but it's too slippery to scale. The other is cute but I can't figure out the right words to do something with it. I find the cute cart has a grabber that enables you to ride around the rails. Best part of the game so far! After some tinkering I manage to pick up the motivator with it, but cannot figure out where it goes. I get off at the station with the robot and spend some time verb guessing trying to get Roger to take the motivator from the claw - and then I'm shot in the head for no apparent reason. Taking too long?

Take 4: I glide down the chute but haven't found out what to do in the new area yet.

The verb guessing is getting to me. The pod you begin in can only be referred to as "ship", not as "pod". The same goes for "chute" and "motivator". The motivator is a "machine" which is also the word used for the grabber and the grinder.

Fast forward a few days, my laptop cable returns...

Take 5: I start anew and for funsies I pick up the metal this time around. One way to lower your blood pressure.

Take 6: I take the wires and go up all the way, to pick up the motivator with the claw. After some trying I find it should go in the new ship. In the area down the chute I find a hole in the west wall, but have no idea what to do with it. There appear to be objects in the junk pile but I can't take them. I know I need something so I can scale the ship and that I have to do something with the wire. There's a plug attached to the motivator.

And That Concludes The Story So Far. I'll try to do some commentary, see how it works for me...
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: BBP vs SQ (spoiler topic)

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:01 pm Take 3: This time I get to go down the head. I find two spaceships and Lego. One spaceship seems available but it's too slippery to scale. The other is cute but I can't figure out the right words to do something with it. I find the cute cart has a grabber that enables you to ride around the rails. Best part of the game so far! After some tinkering I manage to pick up the motivator with it, but cannot figure out where it goes. I get off at the station with the robot and spend some time verb guessing trying to get Roger to take the motivator from the claw - and then I'm shot in the head for no apparent reason. Taking too long?
Wait - what? Shot in the head? I don't think I've ever seen that death either?!?

Not going to tell you what to do - but a SUPER vague hint is - You need to find a way to climb to your success.
A little more of a SUPER vague hint - You're going to want to think like Larry Laffer in Leisure Suit Larry 2.
Qbix
DOSBox Author

Post by Qbix »

Reading the spoiler/attempts so far. It sounds like a real spacequest game so far..
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Tawmis wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:39 pm
BBP wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:01 pm Take 3: This time I get to go down the head. I find two spaceships and Lego. One spaceship seems available but it's too slippery to scale. The other is cute but I can't figure out the right words to do something with it. I find the cute cart has a grabber that enables you to ride around the rails. Best part of the game so far! After some tinkering I manage to pick up the motivator with it, but cannot figure out where it goes. I get off at the station with the robot and spend some time verb guessing trying to get Roger to take the motivator from the claw - and then I'm shot in the head for no apparent reason. Taking too long?
Wait - what? Shot in the head? I don't think I've ever seen that death either?!?
I remembered that as a kid and never replicated it in-game later as a teenager. I almost though it was a false memory. I guess you've gotta be standing there for a really long time lol.

It reminds me of the Dark Forest deaths in KQ5 that happen randomly if you don't have all the items you need (death by spider/death by carnivorous plant). I clearly remember them happening in-game as a child but could never replicate it. But I always had the items I needed since then lol.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

MusicallyInspired wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:36 am
Tawmis wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:39 pm
I remembered that as a kid and never replicated it in-game later as a teenager. I almost though it was a false memory. I guess you've gotta be standing there for a really long time lol.
It reminds me of the Dark Forest deaths in KQ5 that happen randomly if you don't have all the items you need (death by spider/death by carnivorous plant). I clearly remember them happening in-game as a child but could never replicate it. But I always had the items I needed since then lol.
I guess it's like the Larry Laffer 1 death where he commits suicide - I'd never seen that until the internet became a thing. And in hindsight, that's a very gruesome ending... even for Al Lowe.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Take 7
I give in and visit UHS. TAKE the reactor? Seriously?

Take 8 and 9
The ScummVM version is not one I'm a fan of. Since I haven't made any headway that can't be done in five minutes, I toss the ScummVM version and go back to my buddy DOSBox. Since MI remarked he'd only seen the death once and Tawm'd never seen it, I tried to get it again. You only get it when you're standing on the platform (because then you're in line of sight from the android) but he shoots pretty quickly. Made a video and screenshot too.

Take 10
I do a complete rerun of all the accomplishments I've done before - I take the wire, scale the conveyor, ride the cart, move the motivator into the ship, go down the chute to get the reactor, and then I look around.
'Tawm's LSL2 remark reminds me of scattering the sand/ashes on the glacier. I look at every single pile and try to take it. There's got to be something! I even ride the conveyor to pick up some stuff.
After an exhausting round of searching everywhere, I go into the spaceship tunnel where I got the wire from.
And then I get mugged by a rat. I walk on a bit but it seems like the rat only took things and didn't leave anything behind.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

BBP wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:47 pm
Take 7
I give in and visit UHS. TAKE the reactor? Seriously?

Take 8 and 9
The ScummVM version is not one I'm a fan of. Since I haven't made any headway that can't be done in five minutes, I toss the ScummVM version and go back to my buddy DOSBox. Since MI remarked he'd only seen the death once and Tawm'd never seen it, I tried to get it again. You only get it when you're standing on the platform (because then you're in line of sight from the android) but he shoots pretty quickly. Made a video and screenshot too.

Take 10
I do a complete rerun of all the accomplishments I've done before - I take the wire, scale the conveyor, ride the cart, move the motivator into the ship, go down the chute to get the reactor, and then I look around.
'Tawm's LSL2 remark reminds me of scattering the sand/ashes on the glacier. I look at every single pile and try to take it. There's got to be something! I even ride the conveyor to pick up some stuff.
After an exhausting round of searching everywhere, I go into the spaceship tunnel where I got the wire from.
And then I get mugged by a rat. I walk on a bit but it seems like the rat only took things and didn't leave anything behind.
You will find the rat again.

As for the LSL2 hint - that's funny, because that's not what I was thinking of. :lol: Both of my previous vague hints were tied together.

I did put both clues to hint at one thing for... convenience sake...
;) (And yes, that's another super vague hint).

I don't want to say anything unless you directly ask for it to be a little more clear.

So to recap:
Not going to tell you what to do - but a SUPER vague hint is - You need to find a way to climb to your success.
A little more of a SUPER vague hint - You're going to want to think like Larry Laffer in Leisure Suit Larry 2.
I did put both clues to hint at one thing for... convenience sake... (but to be fair, there might be a bad translation between US/English and your native tongue - since you mentioned an issue with the conveyor belt).
So to be slightly more clear (but not give away what you need) - Your pockets are bigger than they seem.
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

You have to do a lot of "look"-ing. And the things it tells you that are around when you type "look" are all mostly important. Type "look at [that thing]" on each of them. That's how you would have discovered the reactor.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Oh I found the reactor allright but it had never struck me I could just take it out of the hole. I did try to make the hole bigger.
Attachments
sciv_001.png
sciv_001.png (3.92 KiB) Viewed 15171 times
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Take 11: I start all over again: take the wire, ride the conveyor and move the motivator, take the reactor and the ladder, get attacked by a rat. This time I go back to the bottom of the chute and take back the reactor and wire. Good thing the rat couldn't carry the ladder!

I enter the ship, put the reactor and wire in place, and get at the cockpit. I take off and crash into the ceiling.

Take 12:
I start the savegame I made in the cockpit, and use the radar before flying. I shoot a hole into the freighter wall, get hit by the shrapnel and snuff it again.

Take 13:
I start the savegame, hit the radar and fly, find the shield and blow a hole in the ship. I get out.
I start up the navigation. Where to go from here? The first destination the navi finds appears to be Ortega. I remember this place from SQ4 when you time travel here, get out and are instantly fried. I have no thermo-weave underwear and look ahead.

There appears to be one other planet, and a Monolith burger. I decide to lock there.
I get a cutscene of some policeman or other wanting to kill me. Text indicates my flight speed is slow: I use light speed and get to Monolith instantly.

At Monolith I don't find much - I search for words to get a job here like in SQ4 to make a few buckazoids. No dice.
I walk through an airlock door and get thrown out by a guy in black, who walks away. I go in again. He comes after me and shoots me with a laser.

Take 14: I go in Monolith again. It's not helping, the only other thing I find is AstroChicken, and I don't have any Buckazoids.
I go back to my ship and the game tosses me out with a "out of heap space" message.
Skip to new scripts
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

BBP wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:43 am Oh I found the reactor allright but it had never struck me I could just take it out of the hole. I did try to make the hole bigger.
Ah my mistake.
BBP wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:37 am Take 14: I go in Monolith again. It's not helping, the only other thing I find is AstroChicken, and I don't have any Buckazoids.
I go back to my ship and the game tosses me out with a "out of heap space" message.
Out of heap space?? That's....odd.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Take 15:
After my no-experience at Monolith and remembering something about thermo-weave underwear, I decide to visit Phleetbum instead.

Upon arriving there I'm treated to a cutscene about a robot set out to terminate me. Not sure what that spoofs... :) As I walk around and run from scorpions, eventually I find the side entrance to Mog, a giant robot that has stalled. I read the signs and set to explore this.
There isn't much at the top of the elevator, just a tackle and a giant machine. I tumble into the giant machine and am treated to a very gory death.

Take 16:
I begin at the spaceship and make my way to the Mog side entrance again. This time I explore and find that I can swing a hook around. I push the hook into the far right corner, but can't get it away from there. I restore at the entrance.
Mog didn't deliver much, so from this side entrance, I go north...
...and the lightning zaps me. Ouch.

Take 17:
I walk to the front end of Mog and see Fleetus saying goodbye to some customers. I go inside and visit his store. So that's where you get the underwear. Also had fun inspecting the postcards.
As I walk out of the shop, the terminator robot threatens to kill me and gives me a 10 second head start.
I have a lightbulb moment. I climb Mog and wait by the tackles. When the robot comes up, I smash him in the face with the tackle and he falls into the machine. Fortunately this one isn't as gory as when Roger fell in.

Fester comes up and brings me down again. I visit his shop and show him the gem. He offers 350 buckazoids. Probably too little but I accept. With the money I buy underwear.

So, now that I have underwear, I can go to Ortega. And now that I have buckazoids I can actually do something at the Monolith. Hmmm... what to do...

Ortega it is. I wear the underwear and hop out. It turns out to be quite the llava maze. One shaking rock tumbles me straight to another very gory death.

Take 18: I explore the other side of Ortega but there isn't much. I go down again, past the shaking rocks - and fall in again.

Take 19: This time I make it past the shaking rocks. I find a pirate ship and walk back. A screen further I find two men who look like they're surveyors. When I try to talk to them, they shoot and I'm turned into jello.
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

It's both amazing - and slightly funny - with how tough (in regards to deaths - I did warn that SQ3 is riddled with them!) - the game is. It's wonderful seeing it through a first time player's eyes.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Take 20: I pick up my save from after I killed Arnoid. This time I find the right word to investigate the remains and find the belt.

I buy underwear, a toy and the chicken hat which I wear instantly. Roger takes it off almost directly after leaving the shop.
Up to Monolith then - I decide on a fun meal to get a toy, which I can apparently use. And I play some Astro Chicken. The mechanism is frustrating, my chickens die a lot. After a few attempts I leave and note the chicken cry.
Up next I first discovered Captain Ortega's log in a monestary... no wait cancel that...
I visit Ortega and make it past the shaking rocks. At the surveyors I do some verb guessing, but they walk away. Hey!

I peep through the microscope. Not sure what this is. In a box I find a detonator. I don't find anything else and go back.
The floor shakes. The detonator explodes and it's another R or R.

Take 21
Again I start from the post Arnoid scene. I was tipped off there's a funny scene when you get on the ship after eating too much, so I eat down a lot of burgers and get a vomit scene. There has to be something with Astro Chicken - the ring shows the alphabet when I use it here. Is there a secret code to the chicken victory cry?
Obviously the detonator must be used at Ortega. I explore and enter this transmitter, all empty, just a ladder up there. I climb up and as I peer down the crater I tumble down.

Take 22
Again I start with the post-Arnoid. This time I also pick up a pole after the surveyors leave. As I explore the transmitter roof, I slip down.

Take 23
There has to be more story than this, and from reading some topics here I know it is in Astro Chicken. What am I doing wrong?
I refer to a video walkthrough and discover there's another way of getting rid of Arnoid. I discover there are some buckazoids under the seat, but at least I did well in the freighter.
It IS AstroChicken, I have to beat it somehow. I can't make much headway in it.
I get back again to post Arnoid and pick up the spare Buckazoids. At Monoburger I'll stick with the fun pack for now. It takes some reading before I realize it was going wrong at the flapping: up doesn't mean one flap, up means toggle flapping. Knowing this it takes me only two buckazoids to get the Secret Message. After that it takes me quite some time to get it decoded. After that I have to call it quits - Eurovision starts. I predicted Italy would win. Let's see. :)
[/spoler]
Skip to new scripts
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

:lol: I love that you include Eurovision in your spoilers.

So ... did you get my clues:

I did put both clues to hint at one thing for... convenience sake... (but to be fair, there might be a bad translation between US/English and your native tongue - since you mentioned an issue with the conveyor belt).
So to be slightly more clear (but not give away what you need) - Your pockets are bigger than they seem.

Climb to your success and think Larry Laffer in LSL2... This was a hint of how he crammed the big gulp in his pockets. Roger does something similar with the ladder.
The note about I put in there about convenience was point back at the convenience store in LSL2, where Larry crams the Big Gulp into his pocket.
Which is why the final hint was that the pockets are bigger than they seem. :)

Return to “The Space Quest Series”