Game of Thrones

Talk about anything you want here
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Game of Thrones [Spoilers]

Post by Tawmis »

MusicallyInspired wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:27 pm Lol I've been watching this guy's videos for a little while and his latest "Pitch Meeting" episode didn't disappoint. XD (here's a tinyurl link so the video doesn't embed)

https://tinyurl.com/y4j5pnef
While, I think it was indeed rushed (I think there should have been an entire full season of Dani going mad, and then have the following season be what we got in Season 8)... I did enjoy the ending, regardless. But I will say that video was pretty damn funny, regardless!

Also you can embed Youtube videos without it popping up by doing this:

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAhKOV3nImQ][b]this video[/b][/url]
Like this: this video

So as long as the words between the URL ("this video" for example) isn't also the Youtube URL, it will show the text rather than pop up the video.
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Ah nice!
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Sigh.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Is anyone going to check out the "prequel" stuff - entitled "The Long Night." (Working Title)

According to HBO, the as-of-now untitled new show (rumored to be called "The Long Night") will be set thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, and would chronicle "the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. From the horrifying secrets of Westeros’s history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend, only one thing is for sure: It’s not the story we think we know."
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

I'm all-in on the Game of Thrones universe so I will.
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

It's worth noting that they were talking about 5 prequel shows in the works and then after the finale aired HBO walked that way back to 1 and said "we'll see how the pilot goes."

I'm sure people will be watching, though.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

I finished the show, and I'm only disappointed that it ended so predictably. Everything went full fan-fiction three seasons ago when they caught up with the books, so the ending didn't surprise or anger me like it did everyone else. Dani goes insane at last minute and becomes the Big Bad, check. Everybody else's favourite characters live, check. The dragon eats/melts the Iron Throne, check (I only got that one half-right.) Overall, it was fine enough. It was a pretty amusing Hollywood ending for what it was.

I'm more angry about fan-reactions and everyone telling me "it's the worst thing ever" in the weeks leading up to it. That does NOT psyche me up for watching a show. I actually took three days off between episodes 4 and 5 because everyone told me they should've stopped there. This is the first time I actually sought out spoilers just to know what horrible thing was around the corner... only to find out it was a happy ending that was driving them crazy. A happy ending isn't ideal for GOT, but when it comes to bad endings, a happy one is definitely more manageable than the alternatives.

Besides, I'm convinced that once all the books are finished, HBO is going to remake the series anyway, just to make it "closer to the books" and show us the real ending. There's a demand for it, people will watch it, HBO will do it. Something like a "Game of Thrones: Brotherhood" kind of deal (anime fans might know the reference). Or they might go back to season six and remake it from there, just to show us a "That's how it could have happened... but how about this?" ending. One where the Night King takes the Throne, because until Season 6, all my money was on winter coming.
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Nice Clue reference. :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Indeed! As soon as he said that, I heard the music for it!

I think what most people seem to be upset about is...
How quickly Dani turned into the big bad. They only lend to it 3 or so episodes before she loses it. Before, she was kind of the big hero everyone cheered for - the Breaker of Chains and all.
It would have been, I admit, nice to have an entire season of seeing her, glaring around, getting paranoid, etc., rather than just 3 episodes, right at the end.

Or maybe that's not what they're mad about (I stopped reading their entitled opinions, once I heard they were doing a petition to demand it be redone!) :roll:

But it's something I would have liked to have seen. Everything in GoT was a VERY slow burn (Jamie is a "villain" for several seasons, slowly "redeems" himself to be likable, just to "turn" again very quickly). So seeing Dani, SLOWLY lose her mind, over an entire full season, would have been nice. Then have the following season be what we got in the final season. I feel like a Season 7.5 to show Dani's descent into madness would have been great! But, as I said - I was fine with how things ended - just wish there was more build up.

It kind of felt like... Kind of like when a guy is with a woman, and goes straight for the "jack pot", rather than warming her up, as Larry Laffer might have put it. :lol:
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

The petition was about sending a message. Nothing more. Nobody expects HBO to actually redo the season.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Game of Thrones

Post by Tawmis »

Snipped from:
http://sierrahelp.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 888#p80888
Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:12 am By the way, I have a "Game of Thrones" question - and this question comes in the form of a rant:

From what I gather, GoT is basically loads of T&A and loads of people backstabbing each other and dying in gratuitously (and sometimes ridiculously) over-the-top ways. :P So, okay ... what kind of society did GRRT have in mind there? The HBO series looks like something from medieval European history, but if that's what GRRT was thinking of, then HBO boobed. Why? Because in medieval history, the whole "OTP death" thing was very rare, unless you were a peasant. :P

Basically, if you're a European peasant and you commit a serious crime like murder or revolt against your lord, there's no end of OTP-deaths waiting for you. (Which one it was depended where you lived and what century it was, but still. ;) If you poison someone, you'd be burned to death or boiled in oil. Are you a witch/warlock/relapsed heretic? You get tortured, drowned or burned to death. Did you try to kill the king or revolt against him? Oh boy -- hanging, drawing and quartering for you, surely one of the most horrible ways to die. EVER! :shock: Whoever designed that one was a sadistic sociopath. Anyway).

That's the bad news. The good news? If you're a nobleman ... depends how serious your crime is, but the worst thing they could do to you is chop your head off. Quick, clean, no OTP deaths at all.

And if you're a king or an emperor, well ... with very, very few exceptions, no-one of that rank is ever executed for anything. If people fear you enough (like they did Ivan the Terrible), you can even kill peasants in the street. Unless you're an obvious monster like Caligula or Nero, no-one can or will do anything. La Dolce Vita. Put your feet up on a peasant and relax. :P

So, um ... why are so many high-rank people in GoT dying in such horrible ways? Either they're peasants in disguise, or someone in HBO boobed. Well done. Try again. :P
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:12 am From what I gather, GoT is basically loads of T&A and loads of people backstabbing each other and dying in gratuitously (and sometimes ridiculously) over-the-top ways. :P So, okay ... what kind of society did GRRT have in mind there? The HBO series looks like something from medieval European history, but if that's what GRRT was thinking of, then HBO boobed. Why? Because in medieval history, the whole "OTP death" thing was very rare, unless you were a peasant. :P
Basically, if you're a European peasant and you commit a serious crime like murder or revolt against your lord, there's no end of OTP-deaths waiting for you. (Which one it was depended where you lived and what century it was, but still. ;) If you poison someone, you'd be burned to death or boiled in oil. Are you a witch/warlock/relapsed heretic? You get tortured, drowned or burned to death. Did you try to kill the king or revolt against him? Oh boy -- hanging, drawing and quartering for you, surely one of the most horrible ways to die. EVER! :shock: Whoever designed that one was a sadistic sociopath. Anyway).
That's the bad news. The good news? If you're a nobleman ... depends how serious your crime is, but the worst thing they could do to you is chop your head off. Quick, clean, no OTP deaths at all.
And if you're a king or an emperor, well ... with very, very few exceptions, no-one of that rank is ever executed for anything. If people fear you enough (like they did Ivan the Terrible), you can even kill peasants in the street. Unless you're an obvious monster like Caligula or Nero, no-one can or will do anything. La Dolce Vita. Put your feet up on a peasant and relax. :P
So, um ... why are so many high-rank people in GoT dying in such horrible ways? Either they're peasants in disguise, or someone in HBO boobed. Well done. Try again. :P
The mistake you're making is in thinking that medieval European history.

The entire thing of Game of Thrones takes place in a fictional world (obviously, since there's also undead, dragons, etc).

So it's just how this world is. I am not sure of the name of the world itself (I've not read the books) - but the primary continent (may even be the name of the world?) is Westeros.

And usually, the T&A isn't over the top. There's a lot of it, but it's HBO.
There is a lot of backstabbing - because it's a bunch of noblemen (and their families) are gearing for power and trying to see who the proper heir to power is.
And I don't think anyone dies in ridiculous, over the top ways at all. I mean there's beheadings, and there's something that happens at the "Red Wedding" that's shocking - that's probably the most "shocking" type death.
Others died by being stabbed, (thrown out a hole that was a great fall), etc. Oh wait. There's a gold incident in the first season that I'd consider kind of over the top. But so richly deserved.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

That's OK. I was just wondering what kind of society Westeros is based on, that's all. :)

:shock: I just looked up the GoT deaths and found that some of them are gratuitously OTP. For example:

1. Jory Cassel - Stabbed in the eye by Jaime Lannister with a dagger.
2. Prince Viserys Targaryen - Crowned with molten gold by Khal Drogo, after threatening Daenerys.
3. Mirri Maz Duur - Burned alive by Daenerys Targaryen at Drogo's funeral.
4. Tortured Prisoner - Had a rat strapped to his chest by the Tickler; it chewed through his chest in order to escape from fire.
5. The Tickler - Neck snapped by Jaqen H'ghar, on Arya's orders.

... and so on.

The sad thing is that all of these happened at one point or other in history, too. All right, no-one was ever crowned with molten gold, but at least several people had molten gold poured down their throat. :shock:

Were there protests or similar about how violent the show is (or perceived to be)? *shrug* I wouldn't be surprised if there were.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:24 pm That's OK. I was just wondering what kind of society Westeros is based on, that's all. :)
:shock: I just looked up the GoT deaths and found that some of them are gratuitously OTP. For example:
1. Jory Cassel - Stabbed in the eye by Jaime Lannister with a dagger.
2. Prince Viserys Targaryen - Crowned with molten gold by Khal Drogo, after threatening Daenerys.
3. Mirri Maz Duur - Burned alive by Daenerys Targaryen at Drogo's funeral.
4. Tortured Prisoner - Had a rat strapped to his chest by the Tickler; it chewed through his chest in order to escape from fire.
5. The Tickler - Neck snapped by Jaqen H'ghar, on Arya's orders.

... and so on.
The sad thing is that all of these happened at one point or other in history, too. All right, no-one was ever crowned with molten gold, but at least several people had molten gold poured down their throat. :shock:
Were there protests or similar about how violent the show is (or perceived to be)? *shrug* I wouldn't be surprised if there were.
The gold one is probably the only one that sticks out, as I said. The others, as you said, have happened in history, so to me, don't seem that outlandish and over the top.

There's another one where a guy is eaten alive by his own dogs he starved. Again, a death that's richly deserved.

As for protests - not at all. First of all, it was on HBO (Exclusive) - so it's a given that it's probably going to be violent. Second, based on a series of books, that are just as violent, people familiar with the books knew this going in; fantasy junkies like myself who hadn't read the books, expect violence (I mean, people are swinging swords around). To me, some of the deaths are more than what you see in HBO's ROME (one of my all time favorite shows) - but the sex in ROME, I think happens FAR more frequently than it does in GOT.

So yeah, absolutely zero protests.

Well. Until the season finale. The last three episodes. And that was mostly people who'd invested 8 years of their life (8 seasons or so?) watching it - just to have it rushed and given a terrible ending.

Up until the end, it's actually a really good show. A lot of character. None of them feel the same as others. Lots of dynamics. A great build up for people. Good guys turn bad, bad guys turn good.

And then the end - it's like they said, "Oh. We only have five more episodes? Cut out 30 episodes worth and cram it all in now."
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Game of Thrones was the most popular show around. There was nobody complaining.

Until the last season.

The first four seasons are the only really good ones. Everything after that starts going downhill. Slow at first. It just started to drag and get too wordy with nothing much happening. Then went down faster and faster until it fumbled and tripped over its own shoelaces, hit its head on a rock, got a bloody nose, and cried for its mommy. Strong start, but I'm afraid like How I Met Your Mother, it's a show I will never ever ever rewatch because of how abysmally bad the ending was in comparison to the beginning of the show. Knowing that's there waiting for you at the end, you just can't enjoy it anymore. But those first four seasons were fantastic.

Yeah it had a lot of violence and sex, but the real draw was in the character arc, the political intrigue, and the fact that it was so unpredictable. Anybody, main cast member or no, could be killed off at any moment. Just men and women can die all the sudden and never see their dreams or plans fulfilled. This feeling was utterly lost by the end of the show. It just felt like a random poorly written fantasy story with characters making nonsensical decisions and acting totally OUT of character with their pre-established arcs. In some cases there just wasn't enough time to have deserved the endings some of them had, in others it just plain made no sense. Nothing like the writing of the earlier seasons where things happened that you didn't like but you just couldn't help but watch the next episode to see what happens. My wife and I were so disappointed with how it all ended up. It's not even a problem of not living up to the hype, it's that they woefully illequiped and unqualified to finish what they started (especially without any novels to adapt from George R. R. Martin anymore).

Blah. Rant over lol.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”