Did anyone else pick up Disney+ Streaming?

Talk about anything you want here
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Did anyone else pick up Disney+ Streaming?

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:32 pm Tawm, from the article you quoted (in The Hill):
BuzzFeed News noted that a scene from “Fantasia,” however, has been edited out because it depicts a dark-skinned centaur named Sunflower taking care of lighter-skinner centaurs.
“Song of the South,” a post-Civil War story of a young white boy who moves to his grandmother’s plantation and befriends an African American character named Uncle Remus, is not available for streaming on the vast Disney+ library.
The 1946 film grossed $65 million at the U.S. box office and won an Academy Award for Best Original Song “Zip-a-Dee-Do-Dah” but has never been released on home video or DVD due to its glorified depiction of life for former slaves on a plantation.
Uh ... I don't understand what's wrong with that scene from "Fantasia". What's so bad about a dark-skinned centaur taking care of lighter-skinned centaurs? :? I haven't seen the scene, myself, so ... *shrug* If this is an allusion to slavery, I understand. But plenty of people take care of other people - e.g. old-folks homes and such. I myself took care of my granny for years, because of her dementia. :( So ... what's the problem?

Also, what's the problem with "Song of the South"? I haven't seen that, either. Perhaps it glorifies life for former slaves on a plantation, but then, it's not a documentary. The Uncle Remus stories are just folktales, they're not supposed to be real. I think it's a shame that folktales are being ignored and forgotten. :( I don't know whether these folktales are racist or whatever - are they? I understand if they are, but if they're not - if they're just stories for children - then what's the harm? I don't get it. :(

As for Disney editing scenes out of their old films - GRR. :x That's like Warner Brothers editing or censoring their old Bugs Bunny cartoons, or what they did back in the 90s - which was to remake the Looney Toons characters and make them more "edgy", give them spikes and what not. WB destroyed Bugs Bunny! :x Thank goodness they realised it and re-made the cartoons in the original style again. :)
For Fantasia - what's humorous is the change was made BEFORE Disney+ ... By several years.
It was because of how the dark skinned centaur was portrayed...

Here's a Youtube video that shows the differences between the original and the officially released DVD....

Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

Tawmis wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:06 pm Quite a bit of a line up...

Day 1... 639 different things...
That blew me away when I saw it a couple days ago. Despite the censorship, it's a pretty amazing library. I love that they've included all the old Medfield College movies and the whole Disney Afternoon. And I just realized most of the 20th Century Fox movies aren't even on here yet, so there's still lots left to bring in.

I'm concerned that a lot of these movies may disappear off the service after the initial year, in case Disney wants to go back to individual sales. So I'm taking the service with a grain of salt. But until that happens, I can introduce my son to some old favourites and catch up on classics I missed. For the opening price tag, I think it's worth it.
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer »

That Fantasia scene was edited out YEARS ago, so no surprise that's the version on streaming.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Datadog wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:33 am
That blew me away when I saw it a couple days ago. Despite the censorship, it's a pretty amazing library. I love that they've included all the old Medfield College movies and the whole Disney Afternoon. And I just realized most of the 20th Century Fox movies aren't even on here yet, so there's still lots left to bring in.
I'm concerned that a lot of these movies may disappear off the service after the initial year, in case Disney wants to go back to individual sales. So I'm taking the service with a grain of salt. But until that happens, I can introduce my son to some old favourites and catch up on classics I missed. For the opening price tag, I think it's worth it.
Agreed - I just hope they don't take off things that are not on DVD/BluRay unless they plan to release it as such and that's why they're taking it off (say, Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends).
Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:26 am That Fantasia scene was edited out YEARS ago, so no surprise that's the version on streaming.
Yup, that's what I had said. It'd been LONG before Disney+ that Fantasia saw an edit.
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer »

Sorry, I didn't see your response when I wrote mine. As I remember, the scene was edited on my VHS copy, so we're talking some years ago that change was made.

I hope they stick to disclaimers for everything else and don't resort to cutting everything to ribbons.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:29 am Sorry, I didn't see your response when I wrote mine. As I remember, the scene was edited on my VHS copy, so we're talking some years ago that change was made.
I hope they stick to disclaimers for everything else and don't resort to cutting everything to ribbons.
Heh! No worries! Sometimes it's best to emphasize something!

As for the splicing and dicing - I can go either way on it. Some of the stuff that can come across as very "badly portrayed" - if it gets spliced, it's fine.
But for example, I asked my wife, who is Vietnamese (granted, not Chinese/Japanese) if the scene from Aristrocats offends her (Simese cat playing piano with chop sticks with an overly "Chinese/Japanese buck tooth expression" (not to say they have buck teeth; but for some reason, way beyond my knowledge; they were always drawn with slanted eyes and bucked teeth?) during the song "Fortune Cookie") and she wasn't offended. And I had said if there was stuff where they made fun of Spanish Bullfighters - or something with Spanish pride - I, myself, would not be offended personally. But someone else, somewhere else, might be (who perhaps more pride, or whatever you might call it) than I do, and feel more culturally offended.

What would be cool is if they offered both versions.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

Disney was never new to cutting. "Three Little Pigs" had the Jewish stereotype brush salesman scene removed or heavily edited back in the 1940s, for instance. The Fantasia adjustments were done in the 1960s.

I for one hope they don't do warning stuff since that's what I hate most about the DVDs - with a Random Ugly Creep trying to "warn" the easily shocked among the audience in unskippable scenes every time you want to watch Donald's Penguin.

Well Rath, here's the article of one person complaining about The Song Of The South. Worth noting that Br'er Rabbit and the other inhabitants of the woods frequently appear in our Donald Duck magazine, they're among the most popular characters.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/n ... king-movie
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I'm okay with a warning over censoring. So far I guess the warnings are just text in the video selection menu before actually starting the video, not actually part of the video itself...I'm guessing?

Just a head's up for anyone considering trying Disney+ out with the free week deal, a friend of mine (in the States, if that matters...probably not) tried it out for a week and decided to cancel before the actual subscription started. Turns out the "free" deal is a little misleading. They charge you right off the bat and refund you for the week later. So it's not like Netflix where they don't charge you until after the trial is over. Be wary of that.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

MusicallyInspired wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:53 pm I'm okay with a warning over censoring. So far I guess the warnings are just text in the video selection menu before actually starting the video, not actually part of the video itself...I'm guessing?
Correct. It's on the "splash" screen before you hit play. There's nothing before it.
MusicallyInspired wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:53 pm Just a head's up for anyone considering trying Disney+ out with the free week deal, a friend of mine (in the States, if that matters...probably not) tried it out for a week and decided to cancel before the actual subscription started. Turns out the "free" deal is a little misleading. They charge you right off the bat and refund you for the week later. So it's not like Netflix where they don't charge you until after the trial is over. Be wary of that.
Well, I mean, it's only like 6 or 7 dollars. Hopefully someone who gets charged doesn't break the bank off that.
There's several services that seem to do that nowadays - "Free 30 days - just need your credit card first" - and it's in the event you let the service roll past the free month.
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

In this case it happens before you roll past the free period. You're charged right away.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

MusicallyInspired wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:44 pm In this case it happens before you roll past the free period. You're charged right away.
Our Disney Overlords know you're going to stick with it. :lol:
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Tawmis wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:25 am
notbobsmith wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:37 pm Another issue I've heard about is changes made to the aspect ratios of some series. Simpsons fans are upset about this. I wonder how pervasive it is.
Well, I can tell you: X-Men: The Animated Series, Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends and Gargoyles are all in their original ratio.
Fortunately, I have Gargoyles and X-Men on DVD already anyway.
Tawmis wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:20 pm
Datadog wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:33 am
Agreed - I just hope they don't take off things that are not on DVD/BluRay unless they plan to release it as such and that's why they're taking it off (say, Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends).
I ended up buying Spider-Man on Amazon on the theory that they will eventually vanish from Amazon's service when some license agreement expires. I prefer DVDs, but since that seems unlikely I thought it best to get it now before it's too late. At least I have some semblance of ownership. Also got the Hulk that aired at the same time.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:55 pm
MusicallyInspired wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:44 pm In this case it happens before you roll past the free period. You're charged right away.
Our Disney Overlords know you're going to stick with it. :lol:

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”