So ... I finally (finally) finished SQ6!

In Space No One Can Hear You Clean, er, Scream. But if you post in this forum about Space Quest - someone's sure to hear you. I think. Try it, anyway!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

So ... I finally (finally) finished SQ6!

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Huzzah! *waves a little flag* ;)

I have to say, I didn't much mind the yucky stuff inside Stellar's body. Perhaps I was conditioned to disgusting scenes, after years of playing Dragon Age: Origins (e.g. the Deep Roads), as well as Tales of Monkey Island (where you start one of the chapters inside a giant manatee. Don't ask.) :P Anyway, although one or two of the sound effects were revolting and the descriptions of internal anatomy went into great detail, it didn't really affect me. (Maybe because I tried not to look at Roger's surroundings, or maybe because I tried not to let it get to me. *shrug* Oh, well.)

There was one scene that I thought was disgusting (and, alas, one you can't skip) - the bit where Roger rides the tapeworm down Stellar's digestive tract. I know that's a reference to Dune, but still ... ugh.

"Stooge Fighter" was a funny idea and a neat reference to "Street Fighter", but the Endodroid was ... disappointing. We've already met his cousin, Ah-noid, in SQ3, and the Endodroid has very little to offer in comparison.

One last observation on SQ6: the disappointingly small number of deaths. I think I died maybe 3-4 different deaths in this game, compared to 20-30 in other SQ games. That's not enough! We demand more ways to make Roger die! :P

So what did you think of SQ6, hmm? :)

(Incidentally, not sure if it's been mentioned before - but Gary Owens does a superb job as the bored narrator. :lol: I think he also narrated LSL7; am I right? :)

Plus, of course I loved the dysfunctional "information superhighway", and the Windows 3.1-like office... complete with Sis Inny...) :P :lol:
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: So ... I finally (finally) finished SQ6!

Post by Tawmis »

Overall, SQ6 was a little lack luster. My favorite part, as you said, was the Windows 3.1 reference and the Stooge Fighter stuff.
Gary Owens naturally does an amazing job.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm - just wondering, why does Roger sign into the seedy hotel as "Frozel Neekburn"? That always confused me. :? Plus, the hotel manager saying that lots of losers sign in with that name ... so it has to be deliberate. Any idea? :)
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

6 is easily my favorite in that series
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:06 am Hmm - just wondering, why does Roger sign into the seedy hotel as "Frozel Neekburn"? That always confused me. :? Plus, the hotel manager saying that lots of losers sign in with that name ... so it has to be deliberate. Any idea? :)
Well the name "Roger Wilco" comes from Radio calls...
Wikipedia wrote: ROGER
"I have received your last transmission satisfactorily, radio check is LOUD AND CLEAR." "ROGER" may be used to mean "yes" with regards to confirming a command; however, in Air Traffic Control phraseology, it does not signify that a clearance has been given.

The term originates from the practice of telegraphers sending an "R" to stand for "received" after successfully getting a message. This was extended into the spoken radio realm during World War II, with the "R" changed to the phonetic alphabet equivalent word "Roger". The modern NATO phonetic alphabet uses the word "Romeo" for "R" instead of "Roger", and "Romeo" is sometimes used for the same purpose as "Roger", mainly in Australian maritime operations.

For maritime VHF, "copy" does not mean the same as "roger" or "received".[clarification needed] It is used when communications between two other stations which includes information for one's own station has been overheard and received satisfactorily.

WILCO
"I understand and Will Comply." Used on receipt of an order. "Roger" and "Wilco" used together are redundant, since "Wilco" includes the acknowledgement element of "Roger"
As for why he signs into the seedy hotel... why does Larry go into Lefty's... or gamble... because the game wants us to.
JasefWisener wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:12 am 6 is easily my favorite in that series
Interesting. I find SQIV hard to beat (in regard to how good it is). SQIII is technically my favorite to play, but SQIV had so much great stuff to it (graphics look better there than they do in SQVI, I feel, especially Roger).
I'd even take SQV, for the fun of the parody it does of Star Trek (mostly, among other scifi), over SQVI. The best thing about SQVI to me was the Windows 3.1 thing and Gary Owens.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawm, I understand the name "Roger Wilco" - but why the name "Fronzel Neekburn"? *shrug* It doesn't make sense. :(

As for which is my favourite ... a toss-up between 3 and 4, although 6 has its moments. I've never beaten 5, since I'm constantly stuck on that planet where the female bot keeps shooting Roger dead. :(
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:45 am Tawm, I understand the name "Roger Wilco" - but why the name "Fronzel Neekburn"? *shrug* It doesn't make sense. :(
Heh - you know - when I played it - I always read it as "Frozen Neckburn" as the pronunciation; but that's clearly not right.
BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP »

From the Space Quest Omnipedia:
The name later became a somewhat widely-used choice among the fan community for a random anonymous name. Fronzel Neekburm is likely a reference to Wilt Chamberlain.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA - A Puzzle Of Flesh! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Er ... I still don't get it, BBP. :? Why is "Fronzel Neekburm" a reference to Wilt Chamberlain? It makes no sense.
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

Only a guess here, but:

When the reason is for adultery or some other nefarious/criminal/immoral activity, people often do not use their 'given' names while staying in hotels so as to hide their true identity. In the USA, the stereotypical name used is "John Smith," because it is the most common name here (or at least used to be during most of the 20th century); if you used that name when signing into a hotel, more than likely one would assume that it's a 'phony' name, one that could not be 'traced' back to you.

In Space Quest 6, the joke is likely that such an odd name to Earthlings -- "Fronzel Neekburm" -- is somehow the most common name in THAT game universe; essentially, it's THEIR version of the old "John Smith" joke... (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

Of course, someone could always ask Josh Mandel if he remembers that line.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Thanks, goatmeal. :) Yes, I agree ... 'tis only an assumption here. Perhaps Josh knows more.

Return to “The Space Quest Series”