Iceman

Losing your cool? Can't figure out the sub sequence? Finding this game brutally difficult? You're not alone! Come over here super agent and transmit your CIA codes with other agents to help you out!
SierraDude81
Sierra Lover

Iceman

Post by SierraDude81 »

I just recently found this game amongst my extensive collection of Sierra Classics, and in a fit of nostalgia, booted it up. I found the beginning of the game to be very enjoyable, almost a Leisure Suit Larry knockoff. The drunk chick at the bar was a laugh riot.

But, and, as a Sierra fan, it kind of pains me to say this, but once you get on the sub, the game just isn't enjoyable at all. I feel like I should have taken a class in Nuclear Submarine piloting before playing this game. Now, to be fair, I appreciate and understand what Jim Walls was attempting to do. Similiar to the PQ games, he sought out to give you the gritty realism and make you really step into the role of a Naval Captain, but it seems like the game forgot that it was a game, and supposed to be about having a good time. Even the Police Quest games cut you some slack!!

And don't even get me started on that damned dice game. Took me TWO HOURS to win the damn game thanks to it punishing me for cheating...ok, I admit, now that I'm looking back on it, that was a bit funny. Just as long as I never have to go through it again! lol

I played through it once just to say I did it, and to add another Sierra Game completion under my belt, but I honestly don't see myself playing through this game again, the submarine battles were very frustrating, they seemed to be on pure luck...either you hit or you don't. Save, restore, repeat, until you win. At least THIS section of the game didn't dishonorably discharge me for "cheating".

I feel like I'm being too harsh on the game, but the actual "adventure game" parts of the game were enjoyable, and the story reminded me of an episode of 24, and the romance was nice, even though incredibly predictable. And, as with all Sierra games, I did come to like the character of Johnny, and want to see what happens to him in the end. Did anyone else play this apparently not well known Sierra classic? What did y'all think?
The Procestuousity begins here!
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: Iceman

Post by Collector »

You are not alone in your view of this game. Many never got past the sub part.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

The only parts I vividly remember involve spending forever trying to win at dice, and dodging icebergs. Maybe I fluked out or was using a walkthrough at the other sub parts (or I've completed repressed memories of those.) But I really remember being frustrated through the whole middle part of the game.

I did like all the stuff at the beginning and end. The game is always most fun when you're not driving a sub.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX »

I like all sorts of games, including those that heavily rely on action. However, most Adventure Games didn't handle action sequences all too well. The submarine parts in Codename: Iceman were notoriously difficult and like Collector said, very few individuals completed it. I never did simply due to frustration. I probably could've finished it, but the amount of time and effort needed was unacceptable. I had other games to play.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I have played this game - no joke - about fifteen times.

And each time I am reminded why I stopped.

I can get to the part where you dive like 601 feet or something to get under the cold thing... but can never, ever, ever, ever pass it.

Even with a walkthru.

I have no idea WhAT I am doing wrong.

Return to “Codename: Iceman”